Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ty Thomas to the dunk contest?
madisonsmadhouse
post Jan 30 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

A little blurp on the front page of the sports section in the Trib, said that the NBA is trying to get ahold of Thomas "to gage his interest" in participating in this years slam dunk contest.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jan 30 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Wow, that would be awesome! I'd love to see a Bull representing in the Slam Dunk Contest.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Jan 30 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 214

He sure gets up high enough.

+Quote Post
truthandbasketba...
post Jan 30 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #4

6th Man

Member No.: 256

We would have won that sucker if we had kept JR Smith, I hope Ty enters and comes up with something new like Iguodala's reverse off the glass dunk last year. That dunk should have won the whole contest, he really got robbed by the judges!

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 30 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (truthandbasketball @ Jan 30 2007, 02:45 PM) *
We would have won that sucker if we had kept JR Smith, I hope Ty enters and comes up with something new like Iguodala's reverse off the glass dunk last year. That dunk should have won the whole contest, he really got robbed by the judges!

That happens a lot in the dunk contests, the whole setup is kind of lame. The best dunker often doesn't win it because of the whole rounds setup, and guys often miss attempts in the later rounds trying something nuts. They need to just set it up where you get 3 attempts and the best dunk wins. I remember the high school one that Lebron won, Shannon Brown did a 360 from 2 feet inside the free throw line tops after he was already eliminated, and it didn't matter. I think Jason Richardson did something like that one year too in the NBA one (something like an off-the-glass 180, don't really remember), and Amare got screwed out of one in high school cause he missed his crazy attempts in the finals after dominating the first round.

Biggest joke of a dunk contest ever was when Candace Parker won the high school one a couple of years ago. She got like a 40 for a standard one-handed dunk (3 different times), while some other guy throws it off the glass and slams it down with two hands and gets a 38. Then she got a 50 for a poor imitation of that Dee Brown one a while back where he covered his eyes before dunking, while all the guys missed their dunks trying to go between the legs or some other crazy stuff...

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jan 30 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

Thomas Might Jam
Jan 30 - Add Tyrus Thomas to the list of Bulls who might attend All-Star weekend?and not just for the Rookie Challenge game.
The NBA league office is strongly considering Thomas as a participant in the Slam Dunk contest.

No Bull has participated in the event since Scottie Pippen failed to get through the first round in 1990. -- Chicago Tribune

Thomas is willing to participate in the NBA's slam-dunk contest during all-star weekend if he's asked.
Asked if he had any special dunks ready just in case, he added, "Not really, but I'll come up with something.

"I'm not dying to do it. If they ask, yeah. If not ... it's one of those things, it's a win-win. Either go to (Las) Vegas or go home." -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

if they ask him, hes going. that would be great

+Quote Post
truthandbasketba...
post Jan 30 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 256

Yeah I won one back in the day in a tournament here in Chicago on the southside. The rims weren't a full ten feet so it made it a little easier, I think like 9 and a half maybe. They were betting on the sidelines and video taping it but to this day I've never seen the tape.
I ended up in the finals against a guy about half a foot taller than me. He went first and jumped over three people on all fours for his dunk and scored 27 out of 30. I replied with a behind the back, between the legs dunk that scored 30 out of 30 to win by three. Incidently it was about 7 months before Kobe won with a similar dunk except he didnt go behind the back. He was dunking on 10 so I guess well give it to him, lol.

Its all about originality and thats become harder and harder to do as time has passed which is why I was so impressed with Iguodala last year. Someone's cookin something up as we speak though, lol.
How about Tyrus starts on the baseline behind the backboard this year and tosses it over the top, runs to the front and Harold Miner's it? It would take some serious air and timing but hes got the hops.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jan 30 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #8

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

when do they announce who is selectd for the dunk contest, and rookie contest and stuff?

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jan 31 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jan 30 2007, 04:27 PM) *
when do they announce who is selectd for the dunk contest, and rookie contest and stuff?

They announce it next Monday. Hopefully they expand the dunk contest to more than 4 players this year. If not I doubt Tyrus will be selected. Nate Robinson who won last year will be there for sure (even though he shouldn't be). Then you have Josh Smith who will likely get the nod. Rumor has it that Dwight Howard has already been invited. Rumor also has it that Howard is planning a dunk in which he literally kisses the rim with his lips and then dunks a ball in each hand. I love Howard and he'll have some powerful dunks, but can he do any better than Amare did a couple years ago? Potential players for the last spot probably include Andre Iguodala, Tyrus Thomas, Gerald Green,

I want to see players like Tyrus, Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Josh Howard, & Gerald Green in the dunk contest. (I also wish we would have had a Vince, Kobe, T-Mac contest sometime in our lifetime. That would have been the best dunk contest ever.) However, I really was hoping that James White would have played for some NBA team this year so he could be in the dunk contest. He would have won for sure. If Tyrus is selected, and the field is Robinson, Howard, & one other player, that will likely give Tyrus a good chance of winning the contest. Of course that is assuming he has some good dunks up his sleeve. I really haven't seen Tyrus do any monster dunks this year so I would love to see what he is capable of.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20610.shtml

"and there might not be anybody in the league right now who can get off his feet more quickly than Bulls rookie Tyrus Thomas, who has indicated that he’d very much enjoy a shot at the dunk contest."

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/news/saturd...ers_070126.html

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jan 31 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jan 30 2007, 04:27 PM) *

Soph-Rook game roster is out....

no bulls made it

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 31 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Man, that is the weakest rookie team I've seen in a long time. Even the supposedly dreadful 2000 class had more talent than that. Roy is really the only one that has really been impressive so far.

The sophomore team has some nice guards, especially at the point.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jan 31 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #12

All-Star

Member No.: 3

Tyrus has some sick ups but I haven't seen him do any ridiculous trick dunks yet (good thing too because I don't want him to try some crazy dunk and miss it, give me the 2 points) but he definitely has the athletism.

He said he'd accept an invite (if he does in fact get invited) and I'll definitely cheer him on. That said I hope he doesn't get it in his head that he should dunk more to make more sportscenter highlights or anything like that (I don't think he will though, we have vets like PJ/Ben Wall to slap him on the head if he gets that idea).

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jan 31 2007, 01:59 PM) *
Soph-Rook game roster is out....

no bulls made it

I'm really surprised that Tyrus didn't make the squad. There is no reason why Tyrus Thomas isn't on this team considering he's a better player than a lot of these guys (he just gets hurt in the minutes category but I've seen other high round picks without much production play in these type of games).

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Jan 31 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #13

6th Man

Member No.: 10

That is a VERY weak rookie team ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Feb 2 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #14

Bench

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 31 2007, 04:36 PM) *
I'm really surprised that Tyrus didn't make the squad. There is no reason why Tyrus Thomas isn't on this team considering he's a better player than a lot of these guys (he just gets hurt in the minutes category but I've seen other high round picks without much production play in these type of games).

I agree. Thomas is by ten times better than most of these guys. They should take the team into consideration. Just because a rookie plays more does not mean he is more deserving to go the rookie game. You would think that the NBA would want to a high-flying exciting player like Thomas in the game for some highlights. Guess not.

+Quote Post
MB33
post Feb 2 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #15

6th Man

Member No.: 477

The bulls should get motivated by this since we dont have anybody going to the All star weekend!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:52 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home