Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Potential Playoff matchups
eddog2
post Apr 17 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #46

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Who owns the tiebreaker between the Wizards & Magic should both teams finish tied for 7th? Also what if there is a 3 team tie with NJ included? It's very possible.

Here are the rules

TWO-WAY TIES

1. Results of games against each other.

2. Better winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).

3. Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

4. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

5. Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

6. Better point differential between offense and defense.

MORE THAN TWO TEAMS TIED

1. If applicable, division champions must be determined first.

2. Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

3. Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).

4. Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

5. Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including team that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

6. Best point differential between offense and defense.

Note: If a multiple team tie is reduced to a two-team tie at any point using the above criteria, the two-team tie will be resolved in accordance with the existing two-team tie procedure.

I was looking at the standings and was scared that the Bulls might have to face Orlando so I decided to look into it. However, if there is a 3 team tie, NJ would get the best seed b/c they have a 6-2 combined record against Orl & Was. Washington has a 2-6 record and Orlando has a 4-4 record. However, once NJ is removed, it goes to the 2 team criteria above.

Whats really crazy is that both teams will have beat each other twice. Both will have the same conference (26-26) and division records (8-8) if Orlando wins tomorrow and Washington loses.

It then comes down to better record against playoff opponents. I didn't have that calculated but obviously Washington is in a hole starting at 2-6 vs Orlando at 4-4.

Okay, so hold you breath. Damn it. We'd be playing Orlando if we secure the second seed and if there is a 3 way tie or a 2 way tie involving them and Washington. Washingtons record against playoff teams from the east is a pathetic 8-18 (Arenas being injured didn't help) and Orlando's is 11-13 of which they are 2-1 vs the Bulls.

Orlando is one of the few teams I really don't want the Bulls to play. The Bulls struggle to match up against Howard and the Magic in general. Let's all pray for a Magic loss tomorrow against Miami b/c I don't want this scenario becoming a reality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Apr 18 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #47

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

Okay so I screwed up and did all that calculating for nothing. The outcome is still the same, but the Magic would win with a better division record 9-7 vs Washington's 8-8. Either way, the outcome is the same. The Bulls would be playing Orlando.

At least it's nice to know how the teams have fared against playoff competition this season.

Once again, pray the Wizards win.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Apr 18 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #48

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

If there happens to be a 3-way tie (meaning the Nets lose, the Wizards lose, and Orlando wins) for the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds, Orlando would get the 7th and would play the Bulls.

So assuming the Cavs beat Milwaukee, the Bulls need NJ, WAS, and ORL to all lose in order to face the Wizards in round 1.

Tonight's games will be vital: Bulls vs Nets, Cavs vs Bucks, Wizards vs Pacers, and the Heat vs Magic.

So, to break it down a bit further:

If the Nets, Wizards, and Magic all lose...then Bulls #2, Magic #8, Nets #6, Wizards #7.

If the Nets, Wizards. and Magic all win...then Magic #8, Nets #6, Wizards #7. BUT, that would mean the Bulls lost, so we'd have to hope Cleveland loses it's game so the Bulls could retain the 2 seed.

So obviously, in any scenario in which the Nets win, the Bulls would need the Cavs to lose to hold the 2 seed.

All you need to know right here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=As5Y...o&type=lgns

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Apr 18 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #49

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Meh.

We'll beat anyone who tries to do battle with us in that first round.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Apr 18 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #50

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Apr 5 2007, 11:25 AM) *
No Arenas, no Butler... whoever faces the Wizards in the first round is real lucky.

4 game sweep lucky... they'd need 'Twan 'Twan to go for 48 EVERY NIGHT to stand a chance of getting a single win, though as Eddog knows, I'm a big fan of Antonio Daniels.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Apr 18 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #51

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Win, and all of our problems are solved, scenarios be damned.

+Quote Post
ChitownMan
post Apr 18 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #52

Rookie

Member No.: 245

QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Apr 18 2007, 01:31 PM) *
Win, and all of our problems are solved, scenarios be damned.

Amen Madisonmadhouse. Get the Nets in NJ tonight and solve all of the scenarios and enjoy home court for possibly two rounds and if we are real lucky, maybe three rounds. Someone should knock of Detroit before the conference finals.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:25 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home