IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official "Who's our next head coach?" thread, D'Antoni to the Knicks, Aver Johnson taking year off
Wanne
post May 5 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #1

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Looks like he's pretty much done in Phoenix. I'd much rather have him than Avery or Carlisle...or any other retread. Although I haven't been a huge fan...he might really bring this team out of it's shell. But don't expect a lot on the D end.

D'Antoni to speak with Bulls, Knicks
by Paul Coro - May. 4, 2008 10:57 PM
The Arizona Republic

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni will interview with Chicago and New York about their head coaching vacancies in a sign that he and the Suns brass may have irreconcilable differences.

D'Antoni and Suns General Manager Steve Kerr were not available for comment but a franchise source confirmed a KTAR-AM report that Suns management had given D'Antoni permission to interview with other teams. Kerr said last week that he would not give any other NBA team permission to talk to D'Antoni until their situation was resolved.

D'Antoni met with Kerr and Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver for more than two hours Friday in what Kerr described as a "productive meeting." They planned to part for a few days and reconvene this week. But this weekend, the parties spoke again by phone, and now D'Antoni can talk to other teams about a job.

The situation seems to have two conclusions: D'Antoni will remain coach or he will land another job. He is owed $8.5 million the next two seasons so he would not be fired at that cost.

The deal is fully offset should he take another job upon being fired, but that is risky for the Suns, who may be seeking assurance that D'Antoni has another job in place.

Kerr and D'Antoni have been trying to repair a rift that began with a November argument between Kerr and D'Antoni and continued when Kerr was asked about D'Antoni's status during the playoffs, to which Kerr said evaluations would come in the off-season.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post May 5 2008, 02:44 AM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

As much as I want him to come to the Bulls, he's going to hate himself if he comes here. Tyrus is no Amare. Kirk is no Steve Nash. Barbosa is more consistent than Gordon. The only similarity to me would be Grant Hill to Luol Deng. I'm sure he'll love Noah compared to Shaq though.

I'm thinking he's probably gone in Phoenix. A few days ago, Kerr wouldn't let him talk to any teams. Then they had their meetings, and now he's granting permission? I expect a resignation/firing announcement tomorrow or Tuesday.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 5 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #3

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

I personally think that unless Kirk turns into Nash, D'Antoni would be a huge mistake.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post May 5 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

i like d'antoni alot but i dint think he is the right fit for this team. we are a defensive minded team and he is not that. we like to run like the suns do, but our offense is created from our D. i think d'antoni is a better coach but johnson would be a better fit for our young guys.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 5 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 23

Pax is already in Phoenix.

+Quote Post
AZBULLS
post May 5 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Draft Pick

Member No.: 1,924

Beware!!!!

I've watched the Suns over the D'Antoni years,......and,.....

Mike D'Antoni = Mike Martz

No defense, and is very stubborn about playing HIS style. He also only plays about 7-8 players, so the starters wear down while the other 6 guys just sit there and cheer.

Not the best hire in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 6 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #7

I'm fresh.

Looks like D'Antoni is going to be a Bull...

Mike D'Antoni appears destined to become the Bulls next head coach. Bulls GM John Paxson reacted very favorably to two interviews with D'Antoni in Phoenix, and financial issues could be all that stand in the way of a deal.

+Quote Post
Bullhead
post May 6 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Draft Pick

Member No.: 1,925

Marc Stein of espn.com says the Bulls' hiring of Mike D'Antoni is imminent, but a Bulls source tells Sun-Times reporter Brian Hanley that no contract has been offered - yet. And the "Silvy and Waddle" show had a Phoenix reporter saying D'Antoni is closer to signing with the Knicks because of money problems with the Bulls.

And it may not come in the next few days.

The Bulls still are likely to interview Avery Johnson.

D'Antoni would be an interesting fit with the Bulls. Reportedly, he chafed in Phoenix because he thought general manager Steve Kerr micro-managed. How will he get along with John Paxson. I don't think Pax micro-manages, so they might get along fine.

But D'Antoni does have that reputation of emphasizing offense over defense, and I'm not sure Pax will appreciate that.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 6 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #9

Superstar

The issue I have isn't one of emphasizing offense versus defense, it's whether or not he's willing to play to what his roster gives him. If he tries to force Kirk Hinrich to be Steve Nash, it's not going to work. If he tries to force Noah to take Marion's place, it's not going to work.

We have guys all over the place who are either solid stand-up defenders (Hinrich, Noah, Thabo, Deng) and guys who are good at generating high energy type plays like Blocks and Steals that can lead out on the break (Tyrus, Hughes). We have ways to push the tempo here, but we would have to generate the up tempo style by playing a high energy, trapping defense to try to force people in to taking quick shots or making silly passes that can be stolen/blocked.

If D'Antoni is interested in the Bulls given the state of their roster, then I'm interested in him.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 6 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #10

Superstar

QUOTE (AZBULLS @ May 5 2008, 10:14 PM) *
Beware!!!!

I've watched the Suns over the D'Antoni years,......and,.....

Mike D'Antoni = Mike Martz

No defense, and is very stubborn about playing HIS style. He also only plays about 7-8 players, so the starters wear down while the other 6 guys just sit there and cheer.

Not the best hire in my opinion.

The question is...how much of what went on in Phoenix was his doing and how much was demands enforced on him from above? He only played like 7-8 players, but how solid were his backups? Who should have gotten more minutes, Sean Marks over Amare, DJ Strawberry over Nash? That team sort of sabotaged its depth with its cap maneuverings the last few years, they've traded away something like 4 first round picks along with Marion, Joe Johnson, Kurt Thomas, and through other moves lost out a chance at Deng/Iguodala, almost all because they were trying to move around cap space.

+Quote Post
CubbiesFan07
post May 6 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Tyrus Thomas's #1 Fan

Member No.: 94

Just stated on ESPN at around 1:00pm that D'Antoni is expected to sign with the Bulls for the Head Coach position.

Sweet.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 6 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #12

Superstar

How disappointing would it be for the Bulls to let the rumors in the press get to this point and then not have things get done?

+Quote Post
cars
post May 6 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #13

Rookie

Member No.: 210

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 6 2008, 12:04 PM) *
The question is...how much of what went on in Phoenix was his doing and how much was demands enforced on him from above? He only played like 7-8 players, but how solid were his backups? Who should have gotten more minutes, Sean Marks over Amare, DJ Strawberry over Nash? That team sort of sabotaged its depth with its cap maneuverings the last few years, they've traded away something like 4 first round picks along with Marion, Joe Johnson, Kurt Thomas, and through other moves lost out a chance at Deng/Iguodala, almost all because they were trying to move around cap space.

Exactly. On that team, Raja Bell is really the only defensive player. Nash has never played defense. They also played a weird lineup, with heavy minutes hoisted upon guys like Boris Diaw playing out of position.

If anything, the way the team didn't pay the right players is what killed them. Joe Johnson goes, but they pay big cash to Diaw? They add players to the rotation like Tim Thomas, etc.?

I don't think defense was something that even the great Colangelo was wanting. Otherwise he would've added the right players.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 6 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #14

I'm fresh.

At this point, the usual "financial issues" are getting in the way of the deal.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 6 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #15

Superstar

QUOTE (steve9347 @ May 6 2008, 03:23 PM) *
At this point, the usual "financial issues" are getting in the way of the deal.

This is going to be a rough deal anyway, given that he's under contract and could simply stay put until fired and make another $8 million, so he has leverage. But I don't think the Bulls would let the media go this far and then wind up having him walk away because they're too cheap.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:07 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home