Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Smith instead of Duhon, I lost my Duhon love last year
cars
post Jul 17 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 210

I understand some of the love of Duhon in year one. The guy came a long way and helped us out. But is he really worthy of 30 minutes a game (which by the way was 4th most on the team, behind Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng)? He's a terribly streaky 3 point shooter, and that is what he shoots more than half the time (538 total field goals attempted, 278 of them 3's). He rarely drives, he settles for his outside streaky jumper. And for weeks at a time during the season he goes Arctic Cold and can't hit Lake Michigan if we spotted him some beach front.

With Thabo coming in and his ability to do some ball handling as well, allowing Hinrich and Gordon some bench rest, do we really need Duhon? Wouldn't another athletic wing person be much better?

And more importantly, is Chris Duhon really worth $3mil a year for his sporadic offense and ok defense? Because for all the talk about how solid he is defensively, .95 steals a game in 30 minutes?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 17 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

There's more to defense than steals. For a backup PG, he's pretty solid. Good defense, solid ball-handling, decent passing. His shooting was decent last year, though I'm not sure that'll hold up. Smith has talent, but he's stuck at 2 guard behind at least two other guys (Griffin will probably play some 2 guard as well, making 3).

Until we get a solid replacement, I'd keep him.

+Quote Post
cars
post Jul 17 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 210

As a backup, I agree. But a backup getting paid $3 million and playing nearly 30 minutes a game? That's where he loses his value to me.

+Quote Post
Pippen Aint Easy
post Jul 17 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #4

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 32

Like Slavko said:

Note: Paxson may not be done in the off-season just yet. Rumors around the league say that the Bulls front office is closely watching the Drew Gooden situation in Cleveland. If a trade were to happen, it would likely involve PG Chris Duhon and PF Michael Sweetney for Gooden in a sign & trade.

If we get Gooden for 2 reserves who weren't going to be key ingredients this season, Pax gets an A+ for this offseason.

+Quote Post
WHarris1
post Jul 17 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Winning Ugly @ Jul 17 2006, 05:53 PM) *
If we get Gooden for 2 reserves who weren't going to be key ingredients this season, Pax gets an A+ for this offseason.

Even though I am a big fan of this trade, saying Duhon won't be a key ingredient is wrong IMO.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 17 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (cars @ Jul 17 2006, 03:27 PM) *
As a backup, I agree. But a backup getting paid $3 million and playing nearly 30 minutes a game? That's where he loses his value to me.

He's a pretty good value right now, especially considering his work ethic and the fact that he's our vocal leader in the clubhouse. He's incredibly smart and we don't lose a beat with him out on the floor.

I also think the Bulls know he works hard and expect his jumper to continue to improve and as it does he's going to become more dangerous as a player. I have no problem with what we pay him, although I'm also not opposed to moving him in a sign and trade if it gets us our legit big that can score.

+Quote Post
BigBen
post Jul 17 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #7

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 186

If Pax can get Gooden for Sweetney and Duhon, how could he possibly say no?

C Ben Wallace
PF Drew Gooden
SF Luol Deng
SG Ben Gordon
PG Kirk Hinrich

P.J. Brown backing up Wallace and Gooden would be pretty sweet. Skiles would finally have a nice rotation of true big men to cycle into the game. But with Pargo looking like he's headed to the Suns, we would be left without a backup PG. I'm pretty sure that Sefolosha can play some point though.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 17 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (BigBen @ Jul 17 2006, 07:54 PM) *
But with Pargo looking like he's headed to the Suns, we would be left without a backup PG. I'm pretty sure that Sefolosha can play some point though.

Yeah, it sure looks like he'll be able to play some point. Also, Aaron Miles played very well in summer league, and could also be a nice addition to our roster being kind of a 3rd PG fulfilling Pargo's old role.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 18 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #9

All-Star

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (cars @ Jul 17 2006, 05:27 PM) *

With the additions of Sef and Griffin, Du won't be playing 30 minutes a night anymore.

+Quote Post
hammerhead johns...
post Jul 18 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (cars @ Jul 17 2006, 04:24 PM) *
And more importantly, is Chris Duhon really worth $3mil a year for his sporadic offense and ok defense? Because for all the talk about how solid he is defensively, .95 steals a game in 30 minutes?

That couldn't possibly mean less.

Do you watch Bruce Bowen? He smothers people, and he gets no steals. Conservative defense is what gets it done. You DO NOT commit on the ball like some dumbass Larry Hughes figure. That way, you don't get burned left and right. Keep your man in front of you at all times.

Same thing applies if you're playing at the local YMCA. Don't be that dumbass going for the steal every single time. It's basic risk vs. reward.

And I like to refer back to the Ben Wallace conference for philosophical insight. Listen to the big man. You will learn plenty. Never underestimate the importance of defending your man when he does not have the ball.

Duhon does all of the little things so well. I would expect all Bulls fans to see this.

QUOTE (BigBen @ Jul 17 2006, 06:54 PM) *
C Ben Wallace
PF Drew Gooden
SF Luol Deng
SG Ben Gordon
PG Kirk Hinrich

Wow, Gooden and Gordon in the same starting unit? That's like the NY Knicks Lite.

I know what it is, though. People are just reviewing statsheets. That's why Duhon gets dissed, Gooden is perceived as an asset (haw haw), etc.

Memphis, Orlando, and Cleveland all learned the hard way. Maybe Drew could play for 10 different NBA teams by the time he hits 30.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jul 18 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #11

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 17 2006, 05:56 PM) *
Even though I am a big fan of this trade, saying Duhon won't be a key ingredient is wrong IMO.

I'm all about Gooden, but Duhon is an EXCELLENT backup point guard, and we could do worse than him playing 30 minutes per game.

+Quote Post
TrueFan
post Jul 18 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #12

Draft Pick

Member No.: 217

Duhon has done alot for the organization, but in my IMO he is expendable. His game in my opinion is not NBA caliber. He is scared to shoot, passes up on oppurtunities, his shot is mediocre when he does shoot, and he is alittle too unselfish.

+Quote Post
RememberThe90's
post Jul 18 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #13

Bench

Member No.: 83

Bring back that loving Duhon feeling
Oh, that loving Duhon feeling
Bring back that loving Duhon feeling
Now it's gone...gone...gone...
And I can't go on...
No-oh-oh...

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 18 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #14

Superstar

Member No.: 23

I'm probably more concerned about his health than anything else. If he's healthy, he's a damn useful piece.

+Quote Post
hammerhead johns...
post Jul 18 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Bench

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 18 2006, 12:51 PM) *
If he's healthy, he's a damn useful piece.

Word.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:07 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home