Post #1

Bench

Group: Members
Member No.: 83

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bside14.html

Coach fires back at Chandler

July 14, 2006

BY BRIAN HANLEY STAFF REPORTER

Bulls coach Scott Skiles took exception to Tyson Chandler's charge that Skiles was an uncommunicative coach and that "it was like there were walls up'' anytime Chandler tried to talk to Skiles.

''My staff and I are very, very disappointed,'' Skiles said of Chandler's criticism after he was traded to the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on July 5. ''Because in my over 30-plus years of playing competitive basketball, I've never been around a staff or head coach that spent so much time with one player; talking to one player, communicating with one player. All I can say, sometimes people say things they don't necessarily mean and after further thought wish they hadn't said it. Maybe that will be the case.

''Any player has a right to their opinion about certain issues. And it's a chic thing to do now; when you get traded is to blast your former team. Coaches do it, players do it, everybody does it. But most people that are around me know that -- and I always include my staff in this because they're vital to it, too -- we leave no stone unturned in communicating with our players. And, literally, on a daily basis. I would venture to say to a point they're actually sick of talking to us more than the other way.''

SEFOLOSHA SORE: Guard Thabo Sefolosha is nursing what Skiles said was a hip-flexor injury that kept the Bulls draftee from participating in the team's final two summer-league games Wednesday and Thursday in Orlando. Sefolosha returned to Chicago to be examined by team doctors. ''It's very minor but we just want to check it before he goes home [to Europe],'' Skiles said.

PICTURE THIS: Skiles said he is having a video made of all the free throws shot by Ben Wallace, who is a career 41.8 percent shooter from the line.

''I'm going to take a close look at it and if I feel like I can help a little bit I will,'' said Skiles, who shot 89 percent from the line during his career. ''And if I can't, I can't. I'm not going to worry about it. I don't mind his stroke. You can see he's not too stressed about it. I've talked to him about this already and so I'm not to stressed about it.''

GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY: Skiles said he has no reservations about Kirk Hinrich playing for Team USA this summer, or playing internationally should the Bulls guard make the cut.

''That's a great thing not only for Kirk but our franchise,'' Skiles said. ''I had an opportunity to play in a junior world championships, go to Spain and win a gold medal, when I was 19. I know Kirk is in phenomenal shape.''

Skiles said Hinrich -- along with Andres Nocioni, who will play for Argentina -- might have to back off a bit when the team gathers for its ''unofficial workout'' in September.

bhanley@suntimes.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RememberThe90's
post Jul 14 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #2

Bench

Chandler is just beach plain and simple.

Praise John Paxon for ridding the Bulls of this collosal bust.

pray.gif

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 14 2006, 07:45 AM
Post #3

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

So Thabo's problem was a hip flexor. That makes me a lot more at ease.

+Quote Post
Iguana
post Jul 14 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 91

I am glad we are finally rid of the SNAFU that Crumbs created.

+Quote Post
RememberThe90's
post Jul 14 2006, 07:57 AM
Post #5

Bench

QUOTE (Iguana @ Jul 14 2006, 07:40 AM)
I am glad we are finally rid of the SNAFU that Crumbs created.

bullssmilie1.jpg

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 14 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

I am not buying Skiles comment. I truly feel that there was a communication gap and that is why Skiles always played Songaila over Chandler. It would make no sense that a defensive minded coach would play Songaila so much more then Chandler when Songaila had no D-fense. Also toward the end of the year you didn't see Skiles hugging Chandler as often as he had the year before when they would win games down the stretch.

I think the Bulls made up their mind during the season that over the summer they were going to go a different route.

And there also was no "communication gap" with Tim Thomas either. I mean I could have been imagining that too.

But who knows I could have been seeing things.

Skiles is a good X's and O's coach and I love his toughness. But I sometimes question other aspects of his coaching style. Like his communication or the lineups he puts in at times because of his ego. Some of the lineups he used at the beginning of last year and especially the year before just made no sense. Anytime Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng are on the bench at the same time I just don't think that makes too much sense. But anyway, I don't think we would have come this far without Skiles and his defensive toughness. I love the guy but he isn't perfect and people should see that.

+Quote Post
Butterbean10
post Jul 14 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #7

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 202

Chandler admitted in the past that he got personal help from Skiles and the staff to help him improve on his game, so I have to side with Skiles on this one. Even he said Skiles is a good coach and all that. But first and foremost, this is a business, and Skiles job is winning. Chandler had every opprotunity to help the cause, but it just didn't happen. I'm sure his first option would have been to have Tyson on the floor late, but he'd either BE in foul trouble by then, or foul out then. And if the situation dictated we needed points late in the game, of course Songalia should be in the game. Chandler gave us nothing on that end, except a laugh or two when the ball would bounce off his head or just looking at his moves trying to get off a shot. It was time to move in a different direction if we intended on getting past the first round. Chandler doesn't fit a half court team. And we paid him WAY TOO MUCH!! This was a blessing (not so much) in disguise getting rid of him, and trust me, this is coming from a fan who whole-heartily fell into the 'he could be like KG' hype...

+Quote Post
Michael Jordan
post Jul 14 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #8

12th Man

Member No.: 51

Skiles is a liar. I hope the Paxson gets rid of this pathetic excuse for a coach.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jul 14 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #9

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

<--- not going to miss TC all that much.

+Quote Post
Goldmember
post Jul 14 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #10

12th Man

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 14 2006, 08:16 AM)
I am not buying Skiles comment. I truly feel that there was a communication gap and that is why Skiles always played Songaila over Chandler. It would make no sense that a defensive minded coach would play Songaila so much more then Chandler when Songaila had no D-fense. Also toward the end of the year you didn't see Skiles hugging Chandler as often as he had the year before when they would win games down the stretch.

I think the Bulls made up their mind during the season that over the summer they were going to go a different route.

And there also was no "communication gap" with Tim Thomas either. I mean I could have been imagining that too.

But who knows I could have been seeing things.

Skiles is a good X's and O's coach and I love his toughness. But I sometimes question other aspects of his coaching style. Like his communication or the lineups he puts in at times because of his ego. Some of the lineups he used at the beginning of last year and especially the year before just made no sense. Anytime Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng are on the bench at the same time I just don't think that makes too much sense. But anyway, I don't think we would have come this far without Skiles and his defensive toughness. I love the guy but he isn't perfect and people should see that.

if your lil' theory were true then playing him less would make no sense. he would have been played more to try and up his value...

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 14 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #11

Superstar

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Michael Jordan @ Jul 14 2006, 05:32 PM)
Skiles is a liar. I hope the Paxson gets rid of this pathetic excuse for a coach.

Pssh, I know. I hate that guy. I mean, who leads 2 mediocre teams into the playoffs 2 years in a row with solid defensive minded coaching?

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 14 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

eddog, u get my PM?

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 14 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Butterbean10 @ Jul 14 2006, 03:15 PM)
Chandler admitted in the past that he got personal help from Skiles and the staff to help him improve on his game, so I have to side with Skiles on this one. Even he said Skiles is a good coach and all that. But first and foremost, this is a business, and Skiles job is winning. Chandler had every opprotunity to help the cause, but it just didn't happen. I'm sure his first option would have been to have Tyson on the floor late, but he'd either BE in foul trouble by then, or foul out then. And if the situation dictated we needed points late in the game, of course Songalia should be in the game. Chandler gave us nothing on that end, except a laugh or two when the ball would bounce off his head or just looking at his moves trying to get off a shot. It was time to move in a different direction if we intended on getting past the first round. Chandler doesn't fit a half court team. And we paid him WAY TOO MUCH!! This was a blessing (not so much) in disguise getting rid of him, and trust me, this is coming from a fan who whole-heartily fell into the 'he could be like KG' hype...

If we need points late in the game the ball should only be in 4 people's hands

1. Ben Gordon - with out a doubt our best shooter
2. Andres Nocioni
3. Luol Deng
4. Kirk Hinrich

and in that order. This year however, I think Deng will prove to be the number 2.

Also, on several occassions Skiles has been grilled by the media about not playing someone and he comes up with lame excuses like "I had the player on the bench for too long. I really didn't think they would be ready to come in. I should have done a better job getting them in sooner"

In particular the one that stands out the most was him not playing Deng for much of the second half in the Bulls game one loss to Miami. I really thought the Bulls would have won if Deng had played more. He basically tried to make it seem like Deng couldn't handle the pressure at first but then he changed what he said to the coaching staff just didn't do a good job letting me know how long he had been sitting there. After not playing for an entire quarter I just didn't want to put him in at that stage of the game.

Like I said. You can't believe everything Skiles does or says is right for the Bulls or that he necessarily always tells the truth. I like his toughness and what he has done for the Bulls but he makes some horrible roster decisions at times. Like playing Songaila in the 4th quarter at the end of games. I can recount numerous times where Tyson has gotten in to foul trouble or Ben Gordon has turned the ball over a few times in a quarter and then Skiles out of spite doesn't play them the rest of the game even though they need clutch scoring or even if by the 4th quarter Tyson is no longer in foul trouble with his 3 fouls.

On numerous occassions over the last few years I have yelled at the TV (yes I have problems sometimes) because I just don't understand what the hell he is doing sometimes. I definately did it with Deng in game one against Miami and I am sure that I will be doing it next year at times. At least with Songaila and Tyson gone I won't have a chance to complain about that. This year should warrant a lot less controversy unless for some reason he stops playing Gordon in the 4th and opts to go with Duhon (which I hate when he does that in the 4th).

I am putting money that we see this lineup on the floor at least one time next year

Brown - F/c
Allen - F/c
Khryapa - SF
Sefolosha - SG
Duhon - G

Now you tell me where is the offense supposed to come from on that squad. But I bet it happens. I remember last year him playing

Allen
Songaila
Piatkowski
Duhon
Hinrich

at the same time. It was like the white all-star team. And the team just couldn't score. It was the worst lineup ever. There is no reason Nocioni, Deng, and Gordon should ever be on the bench. And if they are Sweetney should be in the game to at least have some low post threat.

+Quote Post
Michael Jordan
post Jul 14 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #14

12th Man

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14 2006, 04:52 PM)
Pssh, I know. I hate that guy. I mean, who leads 2 mediocre teams into the playoffs 2 years in a row with solid defensive minded coaching?

Anybody with half a brain knows the Bulls of the past 2 season weren't "mediocre."

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 14 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #15

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

Anybody with half a brain knows the Bulls of the past 2 season weren't "mediocre."

So what do YOU call a team with no go to scorer, no post presence, no true SG, the only veteran leadership shipped to NY agst our wishes, and having to have our 6'3 and 6'1 pgs guard the kobes and Vince carters of the NBA?

Also, attacking the notion of the team being mediocre is perfectly fine, but there is no need to insult the poster's intelligence. Please do not do that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:07 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home