Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Nikola Mirotic Thread
ZoomSlowik
post May 29 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

The other main piece for the future that could give the Bulls a shot in the arm.

Some blurbs from Chad Ford before the actual draft pick.

On talent, Mirotic is a likely late lottery to mid-first round pick. But concerns about his contract abound. NBA scouts I spoke with believe it may be years before he can come to the NBA after he agreed to a long extension with Real Madrid that runs through 2016. He's a got a massive buyout on top of that.

Positives:

•Crafty forward
•Great size, length for his position
•Can play both the 3 and the 4
•Very good shooter with range on his jump shot
•Can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket
•Quick first step
•Excellent passer
•High basketball IQ, fundamentally sound
•Is an aggressive player on both ends of the ball
•Can defend multiple positions

Negatives:

•Lacks explosive athleticism
•Needs to add strength
•Not an elite rebounder
•Contract issues may keep him from playing in NBA soon

Draft Express Profile Link with a lot of good info/analysis

Lastly, a quick YouTube highlight clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_orUsMiW4XY&feature=fvst

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 30 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Superstar

Member No.: 23

If this season is basically lost, then I'm not as mad about having this asset stashed somewhere else, and maybe next season will be close enough that they can come to a more appropriate buyout agreement.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Bench

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 109

From what I see and read, it's not clear whether he can handle the 3 and I'm not sure if I can all pumped up for another post player that doesn't have a post game.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 21 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #4

All-Star

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 01:44 PM) *
From what I see and read, it's not clear whether he can handle the 3 and I'm not sure if I can all pumped up for another post player that doesn't have a post game.

I've been hugely wrong about foreigners before (see Marc Gasol), but my impression is that he's more of a stretch 4. I don't think that'd be an awful thing since it'd help pull a big away from the basket and make more room for Rose, though I do worry about his defense.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #5

Bench

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21 2012, 05:06 PM) *
I've been hugely wrong about foreigners before (see Marc Gasol), but my impression is that he's more of a stretch 4. I don't think that'd be an awful thing since it'd help pull a big away from the basket and make more room for Rose, though I do worry about his defense.

Yeah, it seems that he ought to at least develop into a solid role player off the bench. Hopefully fans don't build up expectations too high.

Curious, what was your take on Marc Gasol?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 21 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #6

All-Star

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Yeah, it seems that he ought to at least develop into a solid role player off the bench. Hopefully fans don't build up expectations too high.

Curious, what was your take on Marc Gasol?

I basically relayed the general consensus at the time of the Pau trade, that he was too slow and/or fat to be an impact player in the NBA. banghead.gif It's not like I watch Euro League games or anything, I rely on reports from people that have seen him and whatever limited clips I can find.

I'm sort of assuming an Andres Nocioni caliber player and will be pleasantly surprised if he's better.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Bench

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21 2012, 05:12 PM) *
I basically relayed the general consensus at the time of the Pau trade, that he was too slow and/or fat to be an impact player in the NBA. banghead.gif It's not like I watch Euro League games or anything, I rely on reports from people that have seen him and whatever limited clips I can find.

I'm sort of assuming an Andres Nocioni caliber player and will be pleasantly surprised if he's better.

I actually live in Memphis and I have to say that it is fun to watch that front court dominate. Also fun to see an NBA game for about $10 sometimes tongue.gif Gasol got himself into better shape and still isn't all that skilled, but he's definitely become a player worth having around. A starter on most NBA teams.

I had a HUGE man crush on Noc back in the day. Judging by some of the old signatures and such around here, I wasn't the only one.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 21 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #8

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 05:16 PM) *
I actually live in Memphis and I have to say that it is fun to watch that front court dominate. Also fun to see an NBA game for about $10 sometimes tongue.gif Gasol got himself into better shape and still isn't all that skilled, but he's definitely become a player worth having around. A starter on most NBA teams.

I had a HUGE man crush on Noc back in the day. Judging by some of the old signatures and such around here, I wasn't the only one.

Like the turrable one below lol.

Mirotic looks like he could be a big key to the team a year or 2 from now financial wise. Bulls are going to be in a bind financially if they don't make some trades so adding a talent like Mirotic for cheap(right?) would be great.

Hopefully he comes over next year and it allows them to amnesty Booze.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 21 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 1,962

Mirotic shows off some post moves in this video.

If he has some legitimate post moves to go with his range and high BBIQ then he'd be the perfect compliment to Noah and Rose.

I'm excited about Mirotic, I think he could be an All-Star (in the David West mold, so not a perennial) if all pans out well and he maximizes his skills.

Edit: Can we not post videos on this board?

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #10

Bench

The dude needs to gain some weight!

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 21 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #11

Bench

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 08:43 PM) *
The dude needs to gain some weight!

If he's strong for his size, I could care less. If he remains limber and quick with a 3pt shot and post moves, he'll be a matchup nightmare.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #12

Bench

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21 2012, 08:45 PM) *
If he's strong for his size, I could care less. If he remains limber and quick with a 3pt shot and post moves, he'll be a matchup nightmare.

I'm worried that he won't be able to get inside against the more physical NBA big man.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 21 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #13

Bench

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 08:46 PM) *
I'm worried that he won't be able to get inside against the more physical NBA big man.

His post moves in the video that I tried to embed, his post moves seem to be less along the lines of Jazz-Boozer which were based on strength and more on agility and creativeness to go down in the post.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 21 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Bench

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21 2012, 08:48 PM) *
His post moves in the video that I tried to embed, his post moves seem to be less along the lines of Jazz-Boozer which were based on strength and more on agility and creativeness to go down in the post.

It's a nice video, but the way he's playing seems much more like a 3 to me...except I don't see any indication that he can guard the 3. He shows a few post moves in the video, but I'm not sure that he has much experience playing inside if the video and others like it are any indication of his playing style. In the NBA, what PF's are near the three point line often enough to shoot that many threes? It's not clear to me from the videos that he will contribute enough on offense if he isn't getting outside shots. Seems like he can be a nice role player, but his defense is unknown and he's not a conventional American-style post player which makes his quest for All-Star status very much an uphill battle.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jun 21 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #15

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21 2012, 08:57 PM) *
It's a nice video, but the way he's playing seems much more like a 3 to me...except I don't see any indication that he can guard the 3. He shows a few post moves in the video, but I'm not sure that he has much experience playing inside if the video and others like it are any indication of his playing style. In the NBA, what PF's are near the three point line often enough to shoot that many threes? It's not clear to me from the videos that he will contribute enough on offense if he isn't getting outside shots. Seems like he can be a nice role player, but his defense is unknown and he's not a conventional American-style post player which makes his quest for All-Star status very much an uphill battle.

Dirk Nowitski says hi

I don't think he'll be Dirk but he certainly has the same skill set, I'll gladly take a lesser version of him. As Q said he's a perfect match for Jo and Rose.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:45 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home