Post #1

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

From HOOPSWORLD.com
Running with the Bulls: Pre-Lottery Draft Scenarios
By Joel "Brigs" Brigham
May 14, 2006, 21:03

There will be no representative present for the Chicago Bulls at this year’s draft lottery, as the team avoided the Gathering of Intense Mediocrity for the second straight year by making the playoffs in 2006. Instead, the ping pong balls will flop and flurry about for the New York Knicks, who ended up with the second worst record in the league this season. There will be no Jerry Reinsdorf in attendance, no John Paxson. No Ben Gordon and no Jabba the Krause. Not a single member of the Chicago Bulls will show up on television when they lot those orbs fall.

But that doesn’t mean that Bulls fans won’t be watching.

In 2003, the year of the LeBron Sweepstakes, the lottery was a marquee event. It inevitably came down to two teams, one of whom would end up with King James: the Cleveland Cavaliers, who had the worst record in the league that season, and the Memphis Grizzlies, who inexplicably passed over worse teams to make it into the final two, but who would be forced to trade the pick should it be anything other than the #1 overall selection. In other words, for Jerry West, it was LeBron or nothing.

There’s no surprise ending to this story; Bron ended up with his hometown Cavs, and the Grizzlies had to give the #2 pick to Detroit, who would soon draft Darko Milicic and win the NBA Championship. With a little more luck, Jerry West would’ve ended up with Carmelo Anthony. Instead, he got absolutely nothing, and the whole thing, the fates of many, many teams (Toronto drafted Chris Bosh #4 and Miami Dwayne Wade at #5) were decided the night of the NBA lottery.

The New York Knicks representative will wear the Jerry West Face on May 23 when he (or she) is forced to gift wrap whatever pick New York ends up with first class to Chicago. This will be more fun than watching Matt Leinart’s face when he realizes he’s dating Paris Hilton. The selection will be no lower than #5, which means that the Chicago Bulls will draft LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, Andrea Bargnani, Brandon Roy, Adam Morrison, or Rudy Gay. Exactly which of these guys it is will be mostly determined the night of the lottery.

Chicago also owns the sixteenth pick in the draft this year. That pick depends largely on who Paxson selects with the higher pick. The Bulls’ needs are givens: an offensive presence in the post, and a tall defensive-minded guard who can match up against some of the league’s bigger swingmen. Working off this philosophy, the Bulls could realistically do one of two things:

SCENARIO #1 (The “What Everyone Expects” Approach)

With the higher pick, assuming it ends up being in the top three, the Bulls would select Aldridge, Thomas, or Bargnani. Which of these three is anyone’s guess, but each has his own upside. Aldridge is probably the safest pick at 6’11”, as he is the tallest, longest, and most offensively apt of the three, but Thomas is a little more consistent, athletic, and has the potential to really break out as a star in the league. Bargnani has been touted by some scouts as being the most talented player in the draft, and often has been compared to Dirk Nowitzki. If Paxson has his choice of the three, it is most likely that he selects Tyrus Thomas, though if anyone takes the risk on Bargnani, the Bulls would be the team to do it. Portland, Charlotte, and Atlanta have too much to lose by missing out on a European. That said, the Bulls would happy to end up with any one of these three guys.

If the Bulls go for size with the first pick, it’s likely they’ll go for their tall, defensive guard at #16. Two guys that might be available there are Ronnie Brewer, a 6’7” ball of defensive intensity from Arkanksas, or Maurice Ager, a very talented all-around guard from Michigan State who stands at 6’4”. Both would be helpful, and either could end up starting should Skiles wish to continue bringing Gordon off the bench to preserve his energies for the later portions of the games.

Tyrus Thomas and Ronnie Brewer? Not bad, but maybe even better is…

SCENARIO #2 (The “Risky, Yet Sensible” Approach)

With the top-five selection, the Bulls could nab Brandon Roy of the University of Washington. Roy is a big guard who does pretty much everything, and is probably the most NBA-ready of any player in the draft. Right now, he’s projected to fall between picks 4 and 7, but the Bulls could come out looking like geniuses should they gamble and take him a little bit higher. He truly has the potential to be a star, and after his show of leadership and skill in the 2006 March Madness tournament, it’s obvious that he can compete. It’s a risk, but it could pay off. Big time.

Of course, if the Bulls draft a guard that high, they will need size at #16. If Sheldon Williams falls that low, he’d be a wonderful fit. That, however, is unlikely, and the Bulls will most likely have to look at the players that actually will be available, like UConn’s Hilton Armstrong, NC State’s Cedric Simmons, and Brazilian stud Tiago Splitter. All three of these players are big men who should be available in the second half of the first round (except Simmons, who could go in the lottery). Armstrong is still a pretty raw talent, but he’s long and can block a ton of shots. Simmons is also a student of defense, but still would be a fine addition if he slipped to 16. Splitter supposedly has been NBA-bound for several years now, but it always seems like plans fall through before the draft can happen. This year, he’s in it to stay, and with skills that have had scouts buzzing since 2003, he may be hard to pass up.

Whether it’s Tyrus Thomas and Ronnie Brewer, or Brandon Roy and Hilton Armstrong, the Bulls should receive two nice additions this summer. And that doesn’t even take free agency into consideration!

But before anyone gets ahead of himself, the lottery has to happen. There might not be a LeBron James, and there might not be a Jerry West, but for Bulls fans, this evening of television couldn’t be more exciting.

THE BULL’S EYE

Come draft time, don’t count out the possibility of a trade for the Bulls. In 2001, Jerry Krause sent future all-star Elton Brand to the Clippers for the rights to Tyson Chandler, who was drafted #2.

Some other notable draft-day trades:

In 1996, the Milwaukee Bucks drafted Stephon Marbury, while the Minnesota Timberwolves took Ray Allen. The two were traded for each other shortly after the selections were made.

The Golden State Warriors drafted Vince Carter with the fifth overall selection in 1998, but they promptly traded him to Toronto for Tar Heel teammate Antawn Jamison.

That same year, the Bucks selected Dirk Nowitzki with the ninth pick overall, but traded him, along with Pat Garrity, to the Dallas Mavericks for Tractor Traylor. Man, did the Bucks get ripped off!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17365.shtml
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post May 14 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #2

6th Man

Member No.: 65

I forgot the bucks got ripped off. As bad as that trade was, it's still not as bad as Brand for Chandler.

I really hope the Bulls dont take Roy. We need size and low post play before we even consider another guard.

+Quote Post
bulls91
post May 14 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (Goldmember @ May 14 2006, 08:27 PM)

nice find i think that they will take Barginai(or however you say it) and try to find a way to get roy that would be excellent.

lol they traded traylor for Dirk that is hillarious lolhitting.gif

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post May 14 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #4

Starter

Member No.: 118

Pax would take Thomas?? I dont get why the media keeps saying that... i seriously dont.... Pax hasnt mentioned he would take him... he said he liked what he did in the tourney... but that means nothing... it doesnt mean Pax would take him....

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 14 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #5

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ May 14 2006, 08:40 PM)
I forgot the bucks got ripped off. As bad as that trade was, it's still not as bad as Brand for Chandler.

I really hope the Bulls dont take Roy. We need size and low post play before we even consider another guard.

I disagree. First off, Nowitzki has been a star player a little more consistently than Brand has. Second, Chandler has been at least a competent NBA player, while Tractor Traylor was a monster flop.

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post May 14 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Starter

QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ May 14 2006, 08:40 PM)

Actually... it wasnt that bad of a move when the Bulls made that trade.... I think the bucks got ripped off... The Bulls did the smart thing by trading for Chandler. Yes Krause gets the blame, and I feel sry for him....

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post May 14 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 41

Im kind of hoping that we get Andrea Bargnai, international players have alot of experience and play in more competitive games, Noch turned out ok same with Ginobli and others. This guy has some height and can shoot, you cant pass that up, im hoping we get number three and take andrea and then take either a guard at a lower spot or trade it and the second rouder for a higher pick to get shelden or whoever. Most likely wont happen but I like to dream.

Overall nice article Goldy.

+Quote Post
SleepyWhiteSox
post May 15 2006, 12:46 AM
Post #8

Bench

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 14 2006, 10:03 PM)
The Bulls did the smart thing by trading for Chandler.

I agree...if by "smart" you mean "stupid as spiff"...

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post May 15 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #9

Starter

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 15 2006, 12:39 AM)
I agree...if by "smart" you mean "stupid as spiff"...

haha nah man u got it all wrong... I bet YOU WOULD HAVE DONE WHAT JERRY DID BY TRADING Elton...

Look, i never said that we are the ones who got the best of the trade.... did i??

Let me tell you kids a little bit of the Trade...

-It is believed that Brand was not thinking of resigning w/ the Bulls... Why is that?... Maybe because of the coach? Tim Floyed?..... i dunno.. could be... Oh wait, it's because of ALL the LOSING....

So the bulls dont get him back.. So whats the best thing to do? Ooooh i know! Trade him for a young guy in draft.... And Chandler looked like a beast out there... Theres a reason why people were comparing him to KG u know... So why not go for Chandler, and then draft Curry... Twin Towers... sounds good to me...

Unfortunately the plan didnt go too good for the Bulls... But hey, if Chandler in about 2-3 years can average 9 points, 10-11 rbs, 2 blks... that wouldnt be too bad... And if he finally gets it together and starts playing like the real tyson Chandler that he can be-

-10+ rebounds, have games when he gets like 15
- block shots and is all over the place

Then i would be happy... Also, Chandler needs to elimainate those dum fouls he always picks up.... Id tell him its ok if the opponent gets 2 points in the paint sometimes.... (dont let it happen that much, and dont let it happen at all in the Forth) Chandler needs to tell himself, and be commited to stay away from foul trouble... He needs to be FOCUSED.... The Bulls need him on the flor bacause of his defense...

Furthermore on the fouls... im not gonna lie... I aways see some bad calls called on Chandler... Im always like, "how was that a FOUL??!!" But this can all go away if the bulls keep on winning games, and get the reputation as an elite team.... You should see how much contact the Pistons' Wallaces get away with... Its nuts... And everytime i see them get away w/ something, i always end up telling myself, "mann, if that was TC, that easily would have been a foul, and it probably would have been a fraglant or something blink.gif "...Anyways, Its weird too because the Piston play agreesive D, and yet i believe they rank as one of the last teams that commit fouls per game... Maybe its because of them always crying to the refs? Or maybe because the refs always let them get away w/ everything because they are a good team, and are expected to win....
And also, once Chandler gets some more muscle, that should help him tremendously on defense.... Him getting in position fast, putting his arms up in the air, and taking some contact and barely moving is what i want to see.... Because a lot of times i see How Chandler is standing still... someone drives in, and then TC takes the contact, moves just a little bit backwards, and then TC gets a foul called on him... So later on when we have a Muscular Chandler out there on the court... and the Bulls are winning a lot of games... it could get pretty scary for a guy like Chandler... He could be a pretty nice defensive player... He could be are Taller version of Ben Wallace... maybe not as good. but could be pretty close... Any1 want ben Wallace in ur team? blink.gif

+Quote Post
soxfan101
post May 15 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 56

If that was true than why exactly did Brand resign with the Clippers... at the time they were a worse franchise than the bulls.

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post May 15 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #11

Starter

QUOTE (soxfan101 @ May 15 2006, 01:27 PM)
If that was true than why exactly did Brand resign with the Clippers... at the time they were a worse franchise than the bulls.

yes i totaly agree... Im not sure we he signed there... Maybe cuz he felt that sinse that team traded for him... maybe he wanted to be loyal and stick w/ them?... I dont know, and i dont care...

Anyways, thats what ive heard...Is it true? Im not 100% sure... But i heard it from some people that are reliable... and i guess it does make sense.... if Jerry was scared to lose Brand, then he might as well go after Chandler..

+Quote Post
bulls91
post May 15 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #12

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ May 14 2006, 10:12 PM)
Im kind of hoping that we get Andrea Bargnai, international players have alot of experience and play in more competitive games, Noch turned out ok same with Ginobli and others. This guy has some height and can shoot, you cant pass that up, im hoping we get number three and take andrea and then take either a guard at a lower spot or trade it and the second rouder for a higher pick to get shelden or whoever. Most likely wont happen but I like to dream.

Overall nice article Goldy.

someone finally thinks that we should also take Andrea i am not an idiot after all cheers.gif snr.gif

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post May 15 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #13

6th Man

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 14 2006, 10:02 PM)
I disagree. First off, Nowitzki has been a star player a little more consistently than Brand has. Second, Chandler has been at least a competent NBA player, while Tractor Traylor was a monster flop.

I would say chandler is a flop.

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post May 15 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #14

6th Man

QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ May 15 2006, 08:39 AM)
And also, once Chandler gets some more muscle, that should help him tremendously on defense.... Him getting in position fast, putting his arms up in the air, and taking some contact and barely moving is what i want to see.... Because a lot of times i see How Chandler is standing still... someone drives in, and then TC takes the contact, moves just a little bit backwards, and then TC gets a foul called on him... So later on when we have a Muscular Chandler out there on the court... and the Bulls are winning a lot of games... it could get pretty scary for a guy like Chandler... He could be a pretty nice defensive player... He could be are Taller version of Ben Wallace... maybe not as good. but could be pretty close... Any1 want ben Wallace in ur team? blink.gif

Chandler's been in the nba for 5 years...he should have added muscle by now. Look at shawn bradley...chandler is basically an athletic shawn bradley.

You can't seriously compare ben wallace and chandler. Wallace can actually play against elite centers. He is a 4 time defensive mvp...chandler cant guard anyone, he only gets 1.2 blocks per game....

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post May 15 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #15

6th Man

QUOTE (bulls91 @ May 15 2006, 06:02 PM)
someone finally thinks that we should also take Andrea i am not an idiot after all cheers.gif snr.gif

If Aldridge is off the board, then I would take him too...you're not crazy for thinking that...maybe for other reasons though bullssmilie1.jpg

Thomas is a great young prospect, but he could be another chandler...but he could be amazing in the long run...but I think we have enough projects, it's time to draft guys who can contribute and help us get to the next level.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:20 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home