Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CBF's Offseason plan, Part I
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Apr 3 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

Before I begin, I really didn't put much thought into this plan, hence (Part I), but I figured I might as well come out with a rough draft of a plan first and then fix it later on. Im not a salary cap buff or $$$$$ man so as of right now I don't know if certain things I am going to say work under the salary cap, although I will try my best to be as realistic as I can. Enough with the ramblings, here is my plan.

The current Chicago Bulls roster this season:

PG- Hinrich, Duhon, Barrett
SG- Gordon, Griffin, Sefolosha
SF- Deng, Nocioni, Khryapa
PF- Brown, Thomas, Allen, Sweetney
C- Wallace, Andriuskevicius

The estimated NBA salary cap this year is 52 million and the Bulls are roughly 18.7 mil under cap according to this source for people who like these sorta things.. Bulls Cap Situation

Lets take a look at our assets coming into this offseason:

-The Knicks first round pick (Probably somewhere between 1 and 15)
-The Warriors and Nuggets second rounders (both in the 40's probably)
-We are in good cap situation coming into next year

Lets take a look at the free agents:

- Nocioni (can make him restricted if they want)
- Barrett (same)
- Andriuskevicius (same)
- Sweetney (same)
- Old Man River (unrestricted)
- Malik Allen (unrestricted)

STEP 1:

Resign Andres Nocioni, while letting PJ, Allen, and Marty walk. Sweetney can do whatever.

STEP 2:

Extend Deng and Gordon contracts. Im a little shaky with Gordon. I feel he is going to want to a close max contract which I feel that he doesn't deserve it and I think Pax would think the same. For the sake of this post lets say we can extend both of them to 5 year deals. Deng and Gordon are a big part of our core and their development is key to the Bulls making a big run for the title.

so now that we have this settled, lets take a look at the roster according to my plan...

PG- Hinrich, Duhon
SG- Gordon, Griffin, Sefolosha
SF- Deng, Nocioni, Khryapa
PF- Thomas, Sweetney
C- Wallace

STEP 3:

We need to find that 3rd guard that can shoot similar to Pargo, and that man is Eddie House. Yes, Eddie House. I have been eyeing him since the start of the season after watching him at phoenix, and it just so happens that he is a free agent this year. He would be a good guy off the bench to start chucking when we need some scoring which Duhon can't do.

STEP 4:

Get a offensively capable big man in the draft. For the sake of the post lets say we get the 9th pick in the draft (New Yorks). I'll just say that Oden, Durant, Horford, Wright, and Noah are all gone by the time #9 comes around. The one man that we might have a small shot at is Roy Hibbert who probably will fit around 7-12 unless he has a phenominal pre-draft camp then he is out of reach. So lets say we get Roy Hibbert. He won't be dominant right away obviously but we need a guy that can spar Wallace some minutes as he will be getting another year older. Hibbert can eventually develop into the starting center when Big Ben is gone for good (probably in 1-2 years). His weakpoints are his foul rate. He gets in bad situations by going after every shot that it puts you in a pickle as he has already overcompensated to the shot that it leaves the shot off the rim to the opponent forcing Hibbert to turn and foul. Atleast thats the situation I have seen him in alot of times this season. That can change with experience but he is 7-2 close to 270 pounds. He would basically be another big body next year but would really help I think late in the season, similar to Tyrus Thomas this year. I predict he can get anywhere from 4 ppg 3 rpg 1 bpg in 15 mpg next year if he plays for us.

STEP 5:

Use the other two draft picks we have how Pax wishes, I don't feel like getting into that right now (remember this is off the top of my head).

So here is your 07-08 roster (starting with the starters) coming into next season according to my plan:

PG- Hinrich, Duhon, House
SG- Gordon, Sefolosha, Griffin
SF- Deng, Nocioni, Khryapa, (2nd round pick)
PF- Thomas, Sweetney, (2nd round pick)
C- Wallace, Hibbert

Khryapa will ride some more pine next year as will atleast one of the 2 2nd round picks most likely both. I can see House getting more minutes as time goes on late in the year if he steps up and the same goes for Hibbert and Sef. If Thabo can improve his defense and shooting next year he will probably earn more minutes as the season goes on like Tyrus's minutes this year. I believe Gordon and Deng will be your primary scorers and both will wind up within the 20 ppg range, (Gordon who already is averaging 21 ppg this season). Hinrich gives you the leadership as well as hard nose defense, Big Ben is Big Ben and Tyrus is unkown. Hopefully he can develop into a consistent 10 point 5-6 rebound per game guy who still gives you that energy to spark your team. He has shown that if he can avoid foul trouble he can be a reliable guy to have in late game situations. His free throw shooting is getting better as I can see but he still needs to get a shot outside of a slam dunk. If he can do that, I see no reason why he can't average 8-10 ppg.

Well there you have it, my offseason plan part 1. When we get closer to the draft and summer league Ill be sure to have a more thought up plan smile.gif Well you can discuss all the things I did right and wrong now. This took me a long time to write so I hope you appreciate it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Apr 3 2007, 01:26 AM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Nice job. Incredibly realistic too. I kept expecting to see some big KG or Pau trade, but what you've layed out is much more likely to happen than any blockbuster deal that most people keep pushing for.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Apr 3 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 3 2007, 12:19 AM) *
Nice job. Incredibly realistic too. I kept expecting to see some big KG or Pau trade, but what you've layed out is much more likely to happen than any blockbuster deal that most people keep pushing for.

I'm pretty sure that any KG or Pau trade has become essentially impossible thanks to the fact that we no longer have PJ Brown and Michael Sweetney's expiring contracts to trade. Therefore, we'd have to move Hinrich or Wallace plus more in any deal for one of those guys just to match the salaries.

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Apr 3 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #4

Bench

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 3 2007, 02:19 AM) *

I agree. Pretty realistic projection. I would like to add one more step and sign and a quality solid vet big man who can replace pj. Here are some possiblities who want break the bank:
-Primoz Brezec-Bobcats
-Anderson Varejeo-Cavaliers (Might be a stretch would love to have him).
-DeSagana Diop-Mavericks
-Chris Mihm-Lakers
-Mikki Moore-Nets
-Shavlik Randolph-Sixers
-Kurt Thomas-Suns
-Travis Outlaw-Blazers
-Jamal Magloirs-Blazers
-Corliss Williamson-Kings
-Melvin Ely-Spurs
-Michael Ruffin-Wizards (J/K!)

Some of these guys have player options or are restricted free agents but i am just throwing them out there.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Apr 3 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 3 2007, 09:56 AM) *
I agree. Pretty realistic projection. I would like to add one more step and sign and a quality solid vet big man who can replace pj. Here are some possiblities who want break the bank:
-Primoz Brezec-Bobcats
-Anderson Varejeo-Cavaliers (Might be a stretch would love to have him).
-DeSagana Diop-Mavericks
-Chris Mihm-Lakers
-Mikki Moore-Nets
-Shavlik Randolph-Sixers
-Kurt Thomas-Suns
-Travis Outlaw-Blazers
-Jamal Magloirs-Blazers
-Corliss Williamson-Kings
-Melvin Ely-Spurs
-Michael Ruffin-Wizards (J/K!)

Some of these guys have player options or are restricted free agents but i am just throwing them out there.

Even if the Bulls spend all their cap room resigning Deng, Noc, and Gordon, as they should, they should still have the mid-level exemption or whatever the Hell it is called, for around $5 million, that they should be able to use on one of those guys. And it would sure make sense to grab 1 more backup experienced big man to fit somewhere on that bench along with whoever we draft.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Apr 3 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

How about trying to add Eddie Jones next year. I believe he'll be a free agent again after the season. I say we deal Griffin and those 2 second round picks.

I love Eddies game. Only question is whether he'll want to leave Miami. However, if Wade comes back and he stops getting a lot of PT he might decide to leave. I don't think Miami will offer him a lot of money.

Eddie is a very good shooting and defending 2/3. He'll give Skiles a lot of versatility and he'll add verteran leadership to the team as well as another guy capable of shooting over 40% from the arc. I know he's getting older but he's proved that he still has credible skills.

I would love to add him, another big man, and whoever we get in the draft with the lottery pick. If we don't trade the picks for another player I'd love to see us trade the two second rounders and maybe a pick for next year to sneak into a late first round pick. I think there are going to be a couple of good PG's available late in the first round (depending on how many PG's declare).

I'd love to see us pick up a defensive big like Mutombo or Diop for next year (depending on how much Diop wants)

Here's a list of serviceable big men that are (u) unrestricted and ® restricted free agents next year

Primoz Brezec (u)
Michael Olowokandi (u)
P.J. Brown (u)
Malik Allen (u)
Scott Pollard (u)
Austin Croshere (u)
Desagna Diop (u)
Anderson Varejao ®
Chris Webber (u)
Antonio McDyess (u)
Dikembe Mutombo (u)
Chris Mihm (u) (I don't want this guy. He's a walking injury)
Brian Skinner (u)
Mikki Moore (u)
Marc Jackson (u)
Malik Rose (u)
Darko Milicic ®
Kurt Thomas (u)
Jamaal Magloire (u) (Is he worth a 1 year contract? He's only 28. But he's been lazy. I don't think he's going to get the money he wants in free agency and might have to settle on a 1 year deal).

Melvin Ely (u)
Danny Fortson (u)

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Apr 3 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Superstar

Mikki Moore, I like. He is basically a more athletic and younger PJ Brown. We could use a guy like him. I just think Eddie House fits the Bulls perfectly in games where its really close and we need a spark or if we are getting blown out he can start a nice run because he is a VERY good 3 point shooter. Im not so sure we don't trade Ben Gordon and Duhon this offseason though. Not that I would want to, just saying.. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded them for a big man or another 2 guard.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Apr 3 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #8

Leading Scorer

I know I'm the king of dumb ass ideas but here is another one.

How about we sign Deshawn Stevenson to be our starting SG. He's got the size and he's coming off a good year in Washington. We also sign Rashard Lewis to a near max contract or max. Whatever it will take for him to come to Chicago.

We then trade Gordon, Duhon & Deng for a good player young player and a high first round pick this year and additional future picks. The most likey trade partner would be Pheonix. I'm sure Pheonix would love to have Deng & Gordon. They get Atlanta's first round pick which will probably be around the 3rd or 4th pick. They ship us Raja Bell, Barbosa and the 4th pick for Deng, Gordon, Duhon. Would that be fair?

We then have a better go to scorer that is tall enough to create his own shot (Lewis). If we gett Barbosa and Bell we don't need Stevenson b/c Bell would be our starting SG.

Lewis costs us maybe $12-15 million. Stevenson maybe $6 million a year for 3 years.

(assuming the Raja Bell/Pheonix trade)

Wallace $15.5 million
Tyrus $3.5 million
Lewis $11 million (with his contract getting higher each year)
Bell $5.6 million
Kirk $11 million (2007) (with his contract declining each year)
2 1st rounders (lottery)= $7.5 million
2 second rounders = $1.3 million
Griffin $1.5 million
Khryapa $2 million
Barbosa $4.7 million
Thabo $1.8

Total $65.4 million (on 13 of our 15 roster spots) (Assuming the luxury tax threshold increases to at least $68 million, we'll have at least $2.6 million to sign the last 2 roster spots.)

We'd have a lineup of

Wallace/1st round pick/verteran free agent
Tyrus/1st round pick/verteran free agent
Lewis/Tyrus/Khryapa/2nd rounder
Bell/Thabo/Griffin
Kirk/Barbosa/Thabo/2nd rounder

The only question is what do we do with Nocioni? Do we let him walk? Sign and trade? Sign and not worry about paying the luxury.

I think this starting 5 would be a rediculous starting 5 defensively. Bell is a great defensive SG. Kirk is a great defensive PG/SG. Lewis is a good defender. Tyrus and Wallace a great defenders.

Bell, Lewis and Kirk can hit the 3. Lewis gives us that legit superstar. A guy that can average 25 ppg. He gets to the line and is an excellent FT shooter. He also an elite slasher and post up SF with incredible length. I think he's more athletic than Deng ever will be.

We also get a great backup PG in Barbosa. Although he's wild, he super quick and would be a lethal option off the bench. He'll allow the Bulls to play varying styles throughout the game. A lineup of him Tyrus, Thabo, Lewis, and one of the rookies would allow us to put up points in a hurry.

Anyway, the dream is over. I love Deng and Gordon, but I'm just afraid we are going to bank too much into them instead of getting the players we need to win titles.

Anyway, this whole post is a mess. Just thought I'd throw some things around. This summer might be more interesting than many people expect.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Apr 3 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #9

All-Star

Member No.: 43

It probably wouldn't be worth it to make that trade, Atlanta's pick is top-3 protected, which seriously hurts the value. I don't think I want Al Horford that bad. Plus since Barbosa basically fills the same role as Hinrich he probably wouldn't be too high on our list. Now if it somehow got us Al Jefferson or something like that it'd be another story. Another thing to consider is I'm not sure how your total is affected by the cap, granted it's not a hard cap but it limits how much salary you can add in a given year.

I don't expect a whole lot of drastic changes, I think Pax likes our core and will try to keep it together, though obviously between the draft and some FA signings he'll try to bolster our interior game.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Apr 3 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Superstar

Well I like the Idea of getting Rashard Lewis if we got rid of Ben Gordon. I actually think Lewis could start at 2 guard. It's clear that Deng is going nowhere so his position is set. Nocioni really has no choice but to sit on the bench. He isn't a power forward because he is way too small and has no post presence unlike Deng who could play PF because he has the tools to work with. I dont think Lewis is a free agent next year but I could be wrong. What do you think, Gordon + Duhon= Lewis plus 1st round pick?

I think Gordon is a better more quality player than Lewis because he has that ability to dominate a game where Lewis is strictly a scorer who camps out at the 3 point line, similar to Rasheed Wallace. If he is a free agent, we could probably forget about resigning Nocioni and extending Gordon's contract because Rashard is going to want nothing less than a near max deal. Im not sure if he deserves it but the NBA is a business too.

Thats just another Idea for our offseason, although I don't think it will happen, its certainly something you could ponder. Hell thats what the offseason for is it not?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Apr 3 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Lewis will opt out, he'll be a free agent.

He's as natural a SF as you can get, you don't see a whole lot of 6'10" shooting guards. I wouldn't mess with what works, you probably don't want him chasing around most shooting guards anyways. He's a solid scorer, basically a draw statistically with Gordon this year, though he doesn't turn it over quite as much (though he also doesn't handle the ball as much either).

He's going to be very expensive though, and honestly, I'm not sure he'd be THAT much of an upgrade over Deng. He has the 3-point range that Deng doesn't, but Deng shoots a higher percentage and plays better defense. He's also 6 years younger, and is less likely to get a max or near max deal.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Apr 3 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #12

Leading Scorer

Would you trade BG for Bell and the pick?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Apr 3 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #13

All-Star

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Apr 3 2007, 10:47 PM) *
Would you trade BG for Bell and the pick?

Yeah, but I doubt Phoenix does that.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Apr 3 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

The Suns better hope the pick comes this year and not next. If Atlanta gets a top 3 pick they're likely not to be in the top 10 worst teams next year.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Apr 4 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #15

Superstar

Gordon and Duhon have the tag of "Most likely to get traded" this offseason IMO. Deng is soooo young that his potential seems limitless because he keeps improving. I like Ben Gordon but if we could find a way to trade him and Du for either a big man or a 2 guard then I would do it.

Although if Tyrus has a spectacular playoffs this year then I think its safe to say he will be the starting PF next year. Unless he moves to SF because Deng works on his post moves in the summer, I'd be fine with that. I would still like to see reevaluated heights of both Deng and Tyrus. I think both have grown a little since the beginning of the year especially Tyrus. Standing next to Luol the other day he looks atleast a half inch- an inch taller, granted there not standing back to back, I think Tyrus is closer to about 6'9 .5-6'10.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:06 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home