IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pax talks about playing the kids, (And a bit on Noah)
Balta1701-B
post Jan 14 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

The sun-times posted an article a bit ago on a Pax presser. The most interesting thing I noted was...he's starting to seem like the point to up the minutes for the kids is approaching. Also supported the team's decision re:Noah, wouldn't comment on any ongoing trade talks.
As for the state of the struggling Bulls (14-21), Paxson cited the fact that his team remains in the playoff race in the Eastern Conference as the reason that Boylan is sticking with a veteran rotation.

When Paxson fired coach Scott Skiles on Christmas Eve, he said if the losing continued he would want to see players such as Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, Noah and Aaron Gray getting substantial minutes in order to better determine the team’s future needs.

‘‘We haven’t lived up to any of the expectations we put on ourselves and that is extremely discouraging,’’ Paxson said. ‘‘But today is not the day to determine that we just scrap it and do something totally different. Like I said before, there could come a point if things don’t turn around and we don’t believe we’re contending for the playoffs, the experience for our younger players is going to be addressed. But we’re not there yet.’’

Another couple of weeks’ worth of efforts such as the lifeless one the Bulls put out in a 105-84 loss at Atlanta on Sunday likely would force Paxson’s hand. But the Bulls remain just three games out of the eighth and last playoff spot held by the Hawks (16-17).

‘‘It was a disappointing effort and we’ve seemed to have more of those this year than any of us cared for,’’ Paxson said of Sunday’s loss. ‘‘I’m still waiting for this group to play at the level they need to play at. But the season’s getting away from us; we’re almost half way through. I understand that.’’
So, if you're in his boat, how long do you go by winning at a .400 clip or lower before you decide to rest your vets and play the kids? IMO, even if this is the eastern conference, it's the AS break at the latest, maybe Feb. 1 if it gets any worse. Look how much it seems to have helped a team like Portland that they got significant minutes for their young guys last yera.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 14 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 43

You should really stop comparing our young guys to the Trailblazers, their guys are a lot better. Just about everyone said they got probably the two best players in the draft last year and that Brandon Roy was the most NBA ready of the prospects, they're not doing a whole lot to disprove that (though you could make a case for Gay). You make it sound like playing time is directly proportional to future production, which is far from the case. Sure, it's unlikely to hurt, but it doesn't make much sense to tank this year anytime soon with the mediocrity of the majority of the East.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 14 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 14 2008, 05:29 PM) *
You should really stop comparing our young guys to the Trailblazers, their guys are a lot better. Just about everyone said they got probably the two best players in the draft last year and that Brandon Roy was the most NBA ready of the prospects, they're not doing a whole lot to disprove that (though you could make a case for Gay). You make it sound like playing time is directly proportional to future production, which is far from the case. Sure, it's unlikely to hurt, but it doesn't make much sense to tank this year anytime soon with the mediocrity of the majority of the East.

It's far from the case, but if you have a talented player, it is in fact quite related. If you need more proof, just look at Brandon Roy's stats last year.

PLIT G MIN FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
November 5 27.2 37.736 0.0-1.6 0 3.6-4.2 85.714 0.2 0.4 1 1.6 1 1.8 2.8 3.4 11.6
December 6 32.3 45.161 0.3-1.5 0.222 3.5-4.7 75 1.17 0.33 1.8 2.2 1 3.2 4.2 2.7 13.2
January 16 34.5 44.495 1.1-2.9 0.383 3.4-3.7 91.525 1.69 0.06 1.6 2.4 1.1 3.7 4.8 3.4 16.6
February 11 38.2 45.333 1.0-2.5 0.393 3.8-5.0 76.364 1.09 0.18 2.4 2.6 0.7 2.6 3.4 4.9 17.2
March 14 38.2 46.569 1.1-2.9 0.4 3.6-4.3 85 1.21 0.14 2.5 2.6 1.4 4.1 5.4 4.8 18.4
April 5 35.8 52.564 1.6-2.8 0.571 3.2-3.6 88.889 0.6 0.2 2.6 2.8 0.6 3.8 4.4 4.2 21.2

Every minute he played seemed to make the next minute better. If these guys have talent, then it's going to take playing time for them to express it and to rebuild some of the value they used to have.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 14 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Except that those stats are a bit skewed since he only played 11 of their 31 games the first two months due to injury. Kinda hard to be productive your first two months in the league when you're hurt. Nice "proof." rolleyes.gif

The bottom line is that everyone's development rate is different, their guys obviously needed a lot less than ours. If you're not ready to play heavy minutes you're not ready to play heavy minutes, throwing them out their to fake their way through it won't drastically improve that. If it were that simple everyone would play the young guys as much as possible and no one would ever fail to meet expectations, but there are a lot more variables than that.

Having ability will play a huge role in how much playing time you get, which would be why they played so much more. They also weren't on a team that was a playoff threat last year, while ours still is (at least to some extent). I wouldn't get my hopes up expecting them to put up numbers like Aldridge and Roy.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 14 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 14 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Having ability will play a huge role in how much playing time you get, which would be why they played so much more. They also weren't on a team that was a playoff threat last year, while ours still is (at least to some extent). I wouldn't get my hopes up expecting them to put up numbers like Aldridge and Roy.

Well, here's my question to you then. How long do you keep the playoff hopes up?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 14 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #6

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jan 14 2008, 07:58 PM) *
Well, here's my question to you then. How long do you keep the playoff hopes up?

Depends on how things go. As long as you're within a couple of games of making it you play whoever gets the best chance to win. If that's March so be it, if it's in two weeks, same thing. It also depends on what kind of deals you can get before the deadline, if any, or whether or not injuries strike (especially if Deng keeps missing time here and there I'd be more likely to say tank).

Even once that point comes they're going to want to re-establish Kirk's value and see how much Deng/Gordon have developed so they can know as much as possible going into contract discussions, which would mean most of the change would be up front and Thabo absorbing more of Duhon's minutes.

Also, I'm not saying you don't play them AT ALL, you just don't throw Tyrus/Noah/Gray/Thabo out there for 20 minutes a game if their play doesn't warrant it.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 14 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 14 2008, 06:03 PM) *
Depends on how things go. As long as you're within a couple of games of making it you play whoever gets the best chance to win. If that's March so be it, if it's in two weeks, same thing. It also depends on what kind of deals you can get before the deadline, if any, or whether or not injuries strike (especially if Deng keeps missing time here and there I'd be more likely to say tank).

Even once that point comes they're going to want to re-establish Kirk's value and see how much Deng/Gordon have developed so they can know as much as possible going into contract discussions, which would mean most of the change would be up front and Thabo absorbing more of Duhon's minutes.

Also, I'm not saying you don't play them AT ALL, you just don't throw Tyrus/Noah/Gray/Thabo out there for 20 minutes a game if their play doesn't warrant it.

Personally, I just don't think that making the playoffs just to make the playoffs at this point, going out in the first round against Detroit or Boston is going to make me feel that much better about this season. And if we get there, at this point, I'd rather do it with Wallace and Smith seeing their minutes go down while the kids see their minutes go up, if nothing else just to see what happens. And if things keep going the current way, I think that should happen sooner rather than later. If we're 5 games out, but we're 5 games out because we're still winning at a .375 clip at the end of January, I'd rather live and dye with the kids because I think playing them is the only way we'll be better next year than this.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 14 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Eh, I'd still rather make the playoffs than not, even if it means the young guys get fewer minutes. It's not like Tyrus getting 18 a game instead of 14 is going to make a whole lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. If you make it you have a few more games in high pressure situations against a good team to see what your guys can do. A good series can help someone build momentum, and if one of the older guys has a big series it could make them easier to move. Of course if they're totally out of it in the somewhat near future that's another story, though I'd still play the vets until the trade deadline to see if someone will bite. I would like to see some more of Noah, but as long as Wallace and Smith are playing reasonably well (like they have of late) there aren't really a whole lot of minutes out there and I'm okay with that.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jan 14 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #9

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Stands between Zoom and Balta... raises Zoom's hand in air to the roar of the crowd.

ZoomSlowik is declared winner of the obviously one-sided argument.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:59 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home