> Ainge rips his ***** of a point guard on radio
Balta1701-B
post Jun 25 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

I found this entertaining.
General manager Danny Ainge's verbal flogging of point guard Rajon Rondo on Boston's airwaves -- one day after saying the Celtics were extremely fond of him -- has drawn the ire of the player's agent.

After telling reporters Tuesday that he does not intend to trade any of the Celtics core players this offseason, Ainge told WEEI on Wednesday that Rondo needed "to grow up" and that "his presence hurt" the team in its seven-game loss to the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Ainge also said that Rondo, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, is not a "max contract player."

"I am just surprised that Danny is speaking, even if he considers it constructively, in a public setting [about Rondo]," the player's agent, Bill Duffy, told WEEI. "I don't think that it's appropriate to say that about one of your top players. Even if it's spoken constructively, I don't think it should be done in public. I don't think he would like it if Wyc [Grousbeck, the organization's managing partner] was talking about him in public.

"What they're saying about [Rondo] critically is actually an asset to him. He is feisty. He is competitive, yes. Last time I checked they won a world championship with him at point guard. If the team wasn't hurting they might have done it again this year. Rondo's tough love from Danny isn't necessary. He's self-motivated and a self-starter."

While saying Tuesday that no Celtics player is untradeable, Ainge insisted he wouldn't do anything that would make the team worse this season and that he isn't sour on Rondo. The Celtics have only one pick -- No. 58 -- in the draft Thursday night.

"That talk is so false," Ainge said. "We love the kid and we think he's got a very bright future. I don't anticipate any trades happening this offseason regarding any of our core players. ... We're certainly not doing anything this year to get a draft pick that's a developmental project, that's going to make it harder to win a championship this year."

Duffy said he and Ainge spoke Monday, and the agent told WEEI that Ainge "gave me every assurance that he wasn't moving [Rondo]. According to WEEI, Duffy hasn't requested that Rondo be traded.

"No, it's not to that point," Duffy said. "But if they choose to trade him, then that's their prerogative."

Still, after hearing what Ainge said on the radio about Rondo and knowing it's likely he'll be discussing a new contract with Ainge, Duffy said, "It doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. You say you love him and then you are critical? You're certainly not recruiting him."
I think he's going to wind up being dealt sooner than later.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 25 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 3

There was a lot of talk that it would be to Detroit for RIP Hamilton. Good move for Detroit, imo, because Rondo while a big beach, is getting better and better every season and is solid starting PG in the league with the upside of becoming a good to very good one.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jun 25 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

I just cannot believe why the world the Celtics would be looking to move Rondo. He produced triple double after triple double in the playoffs!

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 25 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #4

Superstar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25 2009, 09:43 AM) *
There was a lot of talk that it would be to Detroit for RIP Hamilton. Good move for Detroit, imo, because Rondo while a big beach, is getting better and better every season and is solid starting PG in the league with the upside of becoming a good to very good one.

I think Detroit may well be where he'll wind up, I just think that the way they floated the deal was a bit insane (Rondo and Allen for Hamilton, Prince, and Stuckey).

The Celts seem like they're not going to want to resign him, they're going to move him, but that's the kind of overhaul no team would make, and the Pistons would be losers there.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 25 2009, 09:48 AM) *
I just cannot believe why the world the Celtics would be looking to move Rondo. He produced triple double after triple double in the playoffs!

Maybe he wasn't just throwing players in to the press box while on the court.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
Post #6

All-Star

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 25 2009, 09:48 AM) *

That is with Derrick Rose, who was absolutely freaking awful defensively against Rondo. And I mean awful. Some of the worse defense I've seen in years given how one dimensional Rondo is (no shot, only drive). Yes Rose had the block and a great game 1 but as a whole his first playoffs were WEAKSAUCE, imo.

He has a lot of growing to do but his first season was definately impressive.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 25 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #7

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2009, 09:49 AM) *
I think Detroit may well be where he'll wind up, I just think that the way they floated the deal was a bit insane (Rondo and Allen for Hamilton, Prince, and Stuckey).

The Celts seem like they're not going to want to resign him, they're going to move him, but that's the kind of overhaul no team would make, and the Pistons would be losers there.

Ray Allen or Tony Allen? Detroit would be interested in any move but they'd want to keep Stuckey, imo. Unless they get BG in which case they might be willing to do whatever they need to to get Rondo. And than in 2010 make a run at one more piece.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 25 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #8

Superstar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25 2009, 09:51 AM) *
Ray Allen or Tony Allen? Detroit would be interested in any move but they'd want to keep Stuckey, imo. Unless they get BG in which case they might be willing to do whatever they need to to get Rondo. And than in 2010 make a run at one more piece.

Ray Allen. Prince and Hamilton are both $10 million a year players, the Pistons would need to take $20 million back to give up both of those guys, and that's Ray Allen's contract (which expires this year).

If the Pistons were looking to blow up and completely rebuild I could see them doing that move and then maybe trying to sell Rondo for a top draft pick, but that's not Dumars's style. He thinks he's got quality young guys in Stucky, maybe Afflalo, he's going to start with that and try to find the big guy he needs to fit in there (I still think Boozer winds up in Detroit this offseason)

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jun 25 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #9

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25 2009, 11:49 AM) *
That is with Derrick Rose, who was absolutely freaking awful defensively against Rondo. And I mean awful. Some of the worse defense I've seen in years given how one dimensional Rondo is (no shot, only drive). Yes Rose had the block and a great game 1 but as a whole his first playoffs were WEAKSAUCE, imo.

He has a lot of growing to do but his first season was definately impressive.

Yeah but he still had a couple great games against Orlando as well and they were a great defensive team. I am still saying he was overrated because I didn't think he was as good as he showed against us and you're right; Rose was awful at guarding him. He's young and I don't think dealing him is the right thing for Boston.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 25 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #10

All-Star

Member No.: 43

This whole thing mystifies me. You have a team that damn near made the conference finals without their best player and is still a legit title threat, and he's trying to make a massive change to their lineup. Even if Rondo is a pain in the ass, he's a damn good PG and is still ridiculously young. Shut up and worry about it when his contract is up and go for another ring.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 25 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 25 2009, 06:27 PM) *
This whole thing mystifies me. You have a team that damn near made the conference finals without their best player and is still a legit title threat, and he's trying to make a massive change to their lineup. Even if Rondo is a pain in the ass, he's a damn good PG and is still ridiculously young. Shut up and worry about it when his contract is up and go for another ring.

On the Other hand, Garnett's going to be in his 15th season in the NBA next year and his knees may be in roughly the same condition as mine, Ray Allen is in his walk year next year, and Rondo will be an RFA next offseason.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 25 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #12

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2009, 08:32 PM) *
On the Other hand, Garnett's going to be in his 15th season in the NBA next year and his knees may be in roughly the same condition as mine, Ray Allen is in his walk year next year, and Rondo will be an RFA next offseason.

Again, worry about it next year, this isn't the time to worry about remaking your team. They might have the best/most balanced offense in the league if they just stand pat. If they have to Allen's contract can easily be moved in-season, probably for good value, and they can trade Rondo next season if they don't agree on numbers.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 25 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #13

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 25 2009, 06:35 PM) *
and they can trade Rondo next season if they don't agree on numbers.

Actually they might not be able to...not many teams right now looking to add guys who are going to get a lot more expensive in 1+ years.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 25 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Actually they might not be able to...not many teams right now looking to add guys who are going to get a lot more expensive in 1+ years.

24 year old above-average PG's don't become available very often, they'll be able to move him. It's pretty obvious with some of these deals that not EVERYONE is afraid to spend money.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 11:36 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home