Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Tyrus Thomas Debate
SoxFan1
post Dec 30 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

Everyone seems to be calling for Boylan and the staff to give him some minutes. Obviously, something has to be up where he isn't seeing floor time.

1.) Boylan wants to limit the rotation.
2.) A trade is in the making.
3.) Tyrus fucked up and is being punished.

Now I for one, care about the W at the end of the game. I don't care if Gordon doesn't play, if Kirk doesn't play, if Tyrus doesn't play, if Khryapa doesn't play...if we win the game, I'm happy. Personally, I don't see how Tyrus has at all earned any PT, not as of late at least. He was pretty much handed the job in the pre-season, and somehow, Joe Smith ended up starting. He seems to quickly be going the Tyson Chandler path. Now, some of you keep saying that if we deal him or if he leaves, he's going to go on to be an All-Star or Superstar. I don't see that happening at all. Chandler is far from a superstar. Coming out of the draft, Chandler and Tyrus had about the same level of potential. Personally, I see Noah turning into a Chandler like player more than Tyrus.

Honestly, when Tyrus is on the court, he frustrates me a ton. He isn't really that good defensively, man to man. His rebounds mainly come from being able to out-jump some people, and he certainly doesn't show much hustle on either end of the court. Offensively, he stands on the perimeter and wants the ball, and thats not what he should be doing. He needs to be grinding it out in the paint, posting up, boxing out, etc. He gets in to foul trouble far too often and makes some really dumb mistakes on the court.

Now, obviously he has worlds of potential, simply based on his athleticism. The thing is, his skill-sets haven't improved much since he's been here. He has improved slightly in his mid-range game, and he shows a low post move once in a while, but I mean, what is he doing at practice? It's clear he doesn't have the attitude that he needs to improve and be what he can be. I haven't been a big fan of Tyrus since the day he was drafted, and we all know we could sure as hell use some Lamarcus Aldridge this season.

Of course I want him to improve, now matter how much I may dislike him or how matter he frustrates me, he's a Bull and I want him to do well and I want him to help this team, but as long as we're winning, his PT doesn't mean much to me. Thats why they have practice.

I'm really tired of hearing the bitching about Tyrus' minutes. He has to earn them, and as long as we're winning, things are good. It's as simple as that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Dec 31 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #2

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Couldn't agree with you more Slav. I have been entirely disappointed with Tyrus's play and the trade of him for Aldridge is going to haunt this franchise for some time.

However, Boylan seems willing to play a much more up-tempo game and give the guys who deserve minutes minutes. I actually like this guy... his immediate demotion of Ben Gordon to the role he's always performed well in (off the bench) is already paying dividends with a 30+ and a 25 point game.

I think you will see a trade sooner rather than later with this club. There have been more deals this year than in year's past already, and something has to give.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Dec 31 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #3

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Most of you should know how I feel right now, I haven't liked the Tyrus pick since before it even happened.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm rooting for him to fail. I'm not in favor of handing him 20 minutes a game, but I don't think these sub-5 minute games and DNP-CD's are helping either. I don't think he's the kind of guy that's just suddenly going to wake up and play hard every night with his head in the game because he's not playing, it's going to be a progression. Plus if this keeps up I think he might just sulk and it'll get even worse.

I'd like to see his average at least around 10 minutes a game. Give him some rope and a little more time those games when he's playing well and yank him and give him the lecture when he's not. Thanks to our drafting/team building his development is fairly important to our future success.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Dec 31 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #4

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 31 2007, 10:13 AM) *
Most of you should know how I feel right now, I haven't liked the Tyrus pick since before it even happened.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm rooting for him to fail. I'm not in favor of handing him 20 minutes a game, but I don't think these sub-5 minute games and DNP-CD's are helping either. I don't think he's the kind of guy that's just suddenly going to wake up and play hard every night with his head in the game because he's not playing, it's going to be a progression. Plus if this keeps up I think he might just sulk and it'll get even worse.

I'd like to see his average at least around 10 minutes a game. Give him some rope and a little more time those games when he's playing well and yank him and give him the lecture when he's not. Thanks to our drafting/team building his development is fairly important to our future success.

I say trade his ass to the Knicks for another #1 pick. Right now they are the 4th worst team in the league. Of course, as soon as we do that the Knicks would win 10 straight and give us a 9-12 pick. With Nocioni/Deng and with Noah at PF we don't really need Tyrus. If we can get a top 10 pick for him in next years draft I say do it.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Dec 31 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 73

I really think that Boylan wants to "Get back on Track" and to do that he's going to limit the rotation and play the vets. If we win 5 or 6 in a row here then he may go back to Tyrus (I hope to god he does). He's the best rebounder on the team at times he plays good defense but at times he's stupid and commits the dumbest of fouls that irritate the hell out of me. He's a better offensive player than Noah, and Big Ben and everytime he's in there for extended minutes it just feels like something good always happens. Tyrus goes in, we go on a run or he gets 4 quick rebounds and we get into transition..

My point has always been, develop your youth now or you won't have it in the future. If we don't start playing Tyrus more, when is he ever going to get better in game situations!!!!??? We had 3 lottery picks in the last 2 years yet none of them get to see the floor most of the time. That is either poor drafting if they are that bad, or poor coaching for not getting them in there. I just want to see the kid play, otherwise trade him so he can pull a Tyson Chandler on us and be really good for another team..

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Dec 31 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 23

There is 1 remaining issue which I think has to be considered, because to me it's the most important one.

Right now, TT is 1.5 years away from being a restricted free agent I believe. Which means...that the longer we hold onto him now, the closer he gets to that point. And therefore, the closer he gets to another team being able to pick him up without giving up anything for him other than money.

In other words, for the next 1 year until the trade deadline next year, Tyrus will see his trade value go down if he does not perform on the court. If he sits on the end of the bench not playing for the next year, as he's doing right now, his value in a trade is just going to plummet and plummet, and we'll reach a point quite rapidly where we'll lose the #4 pick in the draft for absolutely nothing, because we're not going to match whatever team gives $7 million or so to Tyrus so that he can sit at the end of the bench for another 3-4 years.

Basically, we're setting ourselves up for another Elton Brand situation right now, and we're setting up to get even less back than what we got for Brand. We're setting up to have a guy hit RFA who was a high, talented draft pick, who will have absolutely no urge to stay with us and who we're going to have to sell for significantly less than he's worth.

We have 2 options. Either we need to trade him now while teams still remember him as the #4 pick and before teams start thinking "Oh we can pick him up for cheap in a year when the Bulls let him walk", or we need to play him regardless of the results on the court and actually be willing to lose games because of it.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Dec 31 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Superstar

Really bad comparison to Brand IMO Balta. Brand was the #1 overall pick, and I averaged, or was at least close to averaging, a double-double his rookie season. Brand is leagues better than Tyrus.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Dec 31 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #8

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 31 2007, 04:43 PM) *
Really bad comparison to Brand IMO Balta. Brand was the #1 overall pick, and I averaged, or was at least close to averaging, a double-double his rookie season. Brand is leagues better than Tyrus.

Brand could dominate Tyrus with one arm.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Dec 31 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #9

All-Star

Member No.: 3

I think we need to wait out another 5-10 games until Boylan gets comfortable with his main core players. He is cutting down the rotation and giving his starters and core players a ton of minutes because they need to find a rhythm. Once the starters get into rhtyhm you will see Boylan able to focus on the other guys, such as Noah/Thomas and at that point if those guys don't start getting more opportunities to develop (even if it is off the bench) than I will have some issues.

Whether we like it or lot, a large portion of the legitimate future of this franchise is tied into the development of Noah/Tyrus as those were the last top notch talents this team is going to be able to get its hands on via the draft for a number of years (as long as things go as planned at least and the team doesn't completely collapse back into the lottery).

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jan 1 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #10

Superstar

I've got to assume Boylan is doing what Paxson has told him to do. I can't help but think that John has sent out a dual message to the fans. He says he wants to develop the youth and play the young guys but we've seen over the past 3 games that they actually are decreasing in minutes which is unusual. With the exception of Aaron Gray I think everyone has to be a little stunned that the other youngins haven't played more minutes. I agree with Chisoxfn, he's got to be thinking "Right the ship" first before he begins to play the Tyrus Thomas' or the Joakim Noah's..

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jan 2 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Superstar

I hope Tyrus was watching closely tonight. Noah did exactly what we want and need from Tyrus. Cleaning up the glass offensively and defensively, bringing the energy, hustling, showing emotion, and working hard offensively. Right now, Noah and Gray are earning their minutes while Tyrus is rotting on the bench.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 2 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #12

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 2 2008, 06:46 PM) *
I hope Tyrus was watching closely tonight. Noah did exactly what we want and need from Tyrus. Cleaning up the glass offensively and defensively, bringing the energy, hustling, showing emotion, and working hard offensively. Right now, Noah and Gray are earning their minutes while Tyrus is rotting on the bench.

Which is why it's time to trade him.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jan 2 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #13

Superstar

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jan 2 2008, 09:52 PM) *
Which is why we shouldn't have traded for him in the 1st place.

Fixed.

Just imagine Thabo/Kirk/Deng/Noah/Aldridge with Gordon coming off the bench.

Excuse me while I go wipe myself...

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jan 2 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #14

Superstar

So you've finally softened up to Joakim Noah haven't you? haha

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jan 2 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jan 2 2008, 10:04 PM) *
So you've finally softened up to Joakim Noah haven't you? haha

I didn't like the pick initially, but since the season is started, I take back any and all comments that I said about him. He's proven me wrong big time and I'll gladly eat crow.

In fact, he's quickly turning into one of my favorite Bulls. He's kind of like a Nocioni or an AJ Pierzynski for the Sox. You hate him until he's on your team. Now, I freaking love the guy. Initially I thought he'd be a loud-mouth, all-talk kind of guy but he's kept his mouth shut, been a great team guy from what I heard (and see based on him cheering our guys on all the time) and played some good, quality basketball.

I heart Joakim.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:00 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home