Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TrueHoop interviews Tyrus
Balta1701-B
post Feb 16 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

Seems like an interesting casual conversation with double-T.
If a new coach and some additional playing time have helped Tyrus Thomas find ways to be more productive than ever on the court, it could be time to get excited about Tyrus Thomas again.

I went to see him today at a small charity event he hosted at a bowling alley in New Orleans. He's from nearby Baton Rouge -- where he was on the day of Katrina struck, and has been involved in helping displaced New Orleanians get settled.

Bowling alleys I have seen in the north tend to be somewhat spare, and kind of businesslike. Here in Louisana? There are Christmas lights all over the ceiling, jambalaya over the flame, and big band jazz on the PA. Today there were all kinds of goodies for attendees, including basketballs, trading cards, all-star programs, and PS2 games. There were even little Christmas trees with basketballs hanging on them all over the place. And if that still didn't put you in a good mood, there was a big ol' bar serving mixed drinks.

It was intricate. It was fancy. It was friendly. It was loud. It was New Orleans.

And there were kids everywhere.

Thomas was loving it. In a splendid suit and high-tops, he buzzed about, radiating joy. He seemed to know everyone, and smiled from ear to ear. He took the microphone alongside Darryl Dawkins, and gave away all kinds of prizes to kids -- while teasing them playfully and seeming absolutely at home.

It was almost hard to square that with the reclusive and timid young man described in the Chicago media.

But then again, we were not in Chicago, by a long shot.

Thomas sat down with me briefly to talk about his young career, Louisiana, and life.

Your company is called Storm is Over. That's about Katrina, I take it?

That's part of it. It's also just about life itself. I kind of feel like my family dealt with Katrina, and then for me to get drafted kind of took a lot of burdens off my family. My mom and my grandma don't have to work anymore. They look peaceful. They look happy. They look better rested. My family is more peaceful.

(Note: Thomas's mother, Jessica Johnson, was at the bowling alley, and tells me she used to work 40 hours a week as a corrections officer, 16 hours a week at Popeye's, and about 16 hours a week at Circle K.)

This is my first time in Louisiana, and I finally get how different it is from other parts of the United States. The people, the food, the music -- everything here is so rich.

I got off the plane yesterday, and it just felt so good to be home. I LOVE it. I don't think you can find a better place, honestly. These people are just so friendly. The crime rate is high, and the economy is not great, but the people are so good.

Seeing how people interact here, I bet Chicago can seem awfully cold.

I get a little frustrated sometimes. Here, if you speak to someone, and they don't speak back to you, it's almost like disrespect. Sometimes when I talk to strangers in other places they look at me like I'm doing something strange. That's hard to comprehend, the way I was raised.

One of the issues you have faced so far in your career has been uncertainty about minutes. Do you have a sense from the coaching staff of what you have to do get more reliable playing time? Is there something they want you to do that you're not doing?

[Shakes head, palms to the sky, which I take to mean he wishes he knew what the coaches wanted.]

You were the fourth overall pick, and I know that everyone drafted that high wants to arrive and instantly be the star. Instead you have had ups and downs. How do you feel about how things have gone so far?
I feel like it will help me a lot. I'm 21, and I'm getting some of my tough times out of the way early. I get frustrated at times, but you have to look at the big picture. Nobody judges you by the first two years in the league.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Feb 16 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

good story, and good to see tyrus is helping revive new orleans as well as chris duhon, hopefully he will start to get the minutes he deserves. i want to see more T-TIME!!

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 17 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Feb 16 2008, 09:26 PM) *
good story, and good to see tyrus is helping revive new orleans as well as chris duhon, hopefully he will start to get the minutes he deserves. i want to see more T-TIME!!

I wonder if most Bulls fans feel the same way. I know I want him to see more minutes, ditto Noah...but it just doesn't seem to happen ever.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 17 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 17 2008, 02:06 PM) *
I wonder if most Bulls fans feel the same way. I know I want him to see more minutes, ditto Noah...but it just doesn't seem to happen ever.

I hope Tyrus can emerge like he did last year after the allstar break!

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Feb 17 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Feb 17 2008, 03:14 PM) *
I hope Tyrus can emerge like he did last year after the allstar break!

He emerged last year?

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 17 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:06 PM) *
He emerged last year?

yeah. His performance in the second half of the season last year was much improved over what he did at the beginning of the season. He started getting more minutes and his play improved especially against Detroit late in the year.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Feb 17 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

yeah. His performance in the second half of the season last year was much improved over what he did at the beginning of the season. He started getting more minutes and his play improved especially against Detroit late in the year.

yeah you are right, he played really well in the playoffs too.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Feb 18 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #8

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

I got off the plane yesterday, and it just felt so good to be home. I LOVE it. I don't think you can find a better place, honestly. These people are just so friendly. The crime rate is high, and the economy is not great, but the people are so good.
Talk about contradicting statements.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Feb 18 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #9

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

Yeah, but in my expirience in the south it is absolutely true. Everybody is friendly and will greet you and ask you how you are doing.... But if you leave your valuables in plain site in your car when you park in a depressed area there is a good chance you will return to find your window broken and valuables gone. Just ask my work lap top.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Feb 18 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #10

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Just because they won't fish you to the face doesn't make it any better. lolhitting.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 11:02 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home