IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keep it Together?, Don't touch the core....
sport1016
post Jan 28 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

The way gordon, deng, and hinrich have played lately, it has made me hesitant to part with any of them.

Gordon is playing like he can be a team's #1 scorer. He's averaging 25ppg over the last 20 games. This team has a good dynamic with 4 guys who can go off on any given night.

Thabo and tyrus look like they have so much potential, i would hate to do a trade that could put us in the finals this year while a little patience could mean a dynasty.

This time next year our team could look like:

Hinrich 17ppg 7apg
Gordon 24ppg
Deng 21ppg 8rpg
tyrus 10ppg 12rpg 3bpg
wallace 6ppg 10rpg 2bpg

off the bench:
between thabo and noc they can sub in for 4 positions

That's an amazing 7, plus whoever we get in the draft

Remember, Pau has never won a single playoff game. He was the featured player on memphis' good teams, but the knock on those teams was always that they were an ensemble team (pau, damon, posey, battier, miller) that didnt have the star power for the playoffs.

If the bulls make this trade it could work. But if it doesnt pay off this year we could be screwed, still looking for one more piece. A little patience may go a long way. Wait for tyrus to be able to start at the 4. Watch ben and deng grow into all stars. It took Jordan and co how long? This is only year 3.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 28 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

The problem is that is a very optomistic view, especially for Tyrus. I really don't see him developing in to that for at least another season, maybe more. That still leaves us with a pretty big hole in the post-scoring department. It also might be a bit much to expect Gordon and Deng to keep developing at that kind of pace, both still obviously have some issues in their game (size, defense, ball-handling for Gordon with the first two hurting his playing time a little, lack of 3-point range and post play for Deng).

You could make a case for either approach, it's highly possible that either route would work out. Our current team has shown signs of serious contending, though consistency seems to be an issue thus far. I think a big factor could be who we end up with in the draft. If we can snag Horford (I'm not holding out much hope for Oden, or even Noah anymore), that would give us more muscle down in the post, which would really fill a need and solidify the team even more. Or we could go for Gasol, which would guarantee that and cost us a key player somewhere. We'd fill a huge hole in the middle and still possibly be able to compensate for losing that player. It's hard to say which way would work better right now, especially after their last couple of games.

On the Pau-point though, remember that those teams have never really been very good. Just take this year as a case in point, they were still projected to be a playoff team before he got hurt, and they were downright awful without him. The best compilementary players he's had so far are Mike Miller, Jason Williams, Bonzi Wells, James Posey and Stromile Swift (or arguably Damon Stoudamire and Eddie Jones, though at this point in their careers I don't think so) who don't/wouldn't even start on a lot of teams. Plus he's only 26, so I don't really think he changes the timetable for contention, just the team composition.

+Quote Post
Tony82087
post Jan 28 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

When the team goes on a 4 game skid, everything will change again. Don't let your opinion be skewed because they have played great the last few games.

+Quote Post
spiderman
post Jan 28 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #4

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 227

They need a low post scorer.
I'm hoping that they can accomplish that by using PJ Brown's expiring contract, and the draft pick (the Knicks are playing better than expected, but it will still be a lottery pick in the 7-10 range), but they may end up having to trade Tyrus or Deng to make a meaningful deal.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 28 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 23

Welll, I am a fan of the concept, and I have been really enthused by seeing how Tyrus has performed thus far this season, despite how raw he is. And I think that a lineup including Tyrus, Deng, Noc, Hinrich, Gordon, and some additional big guy could be very very good.

Here's the one issue I see right now: the Bulls are currently holding 3 important assets: 1. a major expiring contract. 2. A high draft pick. 3. More depth than they know what to do with.

Right now, especially with that expiring contract and with no one knowing what the draft order will be, I think that the Bulls would be in better shape trying to turn that expiring contract and draft pick and some of that depth into a major talent. If that involves sacrificing one member of the core, so be it, but the reality I see is that at the end of this offseason, we will have lost potentially 2 of those 3 assets. Instead of being able to trade a high draft pick and an expiring contract, the Bulls will have a single, additional young player, if no moves are made. That may well work, or it may not, that depends on the Knicks and the lottery. But right now might be the time of maximum value for what we have, especially with that expiring contract.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jan 28 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jan 28 2007, 01:42 PM) *
This time next year our team could look like:

Hinrich 17ppg 7apg

If anything, Kirk should average 14 ppg & 10 assists. Those are numbers I want to see. There is no reason for him to average 17 ppg as a 3rd/4th option. Gordon/Deng should both average 20+ with Gordon averaging 25 or more. As for Tyrus, I love the guy but I don't think he will be averagine that many points or rebounds next year. I don't even think he will be able to bulk up enough to play the 4. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I love the guy and when he figures it all out and strengthens his body he is going to be a force.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jan 28 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

i think we dont make any trades, and address the low post scorer in the draft, i like the way the team is playing and i think we can manage without a trade. our players are starting to develop( BG, and Deng) there is no reason to trade them

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jan 29 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #8

Starter

that is a good point about those assets being at a maximum value right now and i guess i would give up even noc, but gordon and deng are already so good and seem like they could be so much better and kirk looks like a key piece to the puzzle and is already signed to a reasonable contract.

If we could keep those three, i would trade anyone else on the roster for a big, but i would still shy away from trading tyrus and thabo.

In trading for AI, the only player of value philly got was andre miller. God i would give up duhon noc PJ and sweets for a legit 4..........are their any teams that need a sf and backup/spot starter pg and two expiring contracts? Portland?

I guess those tyrus numbers may not be realistic for next year, that was me overexcited, but maybe in two years....I know though that when he gets enough minutes he will lead the league in blocks.

I also want to point out that not every contending team needs a low post scorer. Dallas, despite being probably the best team in the league, does not score much via the low post. This is because they make up for it with other high % shots, like in transition. I just think that we could be a team like that. Tony parker is always one of the top scorers in the paint, so guards can get easy shots too. If kirk, ben, lu, and noc can go to the basket like they have lately, that balances out the lack of post game.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 29 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #9

All-Star

Just a side note Sport, Philly also got 2 first rounders in the deal. Yeah, they were both late (Denver and Dallas), but it's still 2 1st's.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jan 29 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #10

Starter

I know,

but as this team doesnt need to get any younger, i would gladly give up several future picks over core guys

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jan 29 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #11

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 29 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Just a side note Sport, Philly also got 2 first rounders in the deal. Yeah, they were both late (Denver and Dallas), but it's still 2 1st's.

1 first rounder in the top 11 picks vs. 2 first rounders in the 20's? This isn't the NFL where there's a ton of spots on the court...

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 29 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #12

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jan 29 2007, 11:18 AM) *
1 first rounder in the top 11 picks vs. 2 first rounders in the 20's? This isn't the NFL where there's a ton of spots on the court...

You never know, this is a deep draft that should have a ton of talent. Not every good player in the league was a top-10 pick.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Jan 29 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #13

6th Man

Member No.: 10

I know,

but as this team doesnt need to get any younger, i would gladly give up several future picks over core guys

I second that =).

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jan 29 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 29 2007, 11:37 AM) *
You never know, this is a deep draft that should have a ton of talent. Not every good player in the league was a top-10 pick.

The Bulls never get anything good with their late 1st/2nd round picks. Duhon is the best thing we've come up with, so I wouldn't mind trading the next 3 years 1st round picks as long as we keep this years. We already have 2 players under 23 years of age (Thabo, Tyrus, Deng) and with the 1st rounder that will likely end up being 4 players. Other than that, we have Ben Gordon (23 going on 24) & old man Kirk (26). The Bulls are built young. Giving up future 1st rounder won't be that detrimental especially if we get a solid post threat that still has all-star potential. The key is to not give up the young talent. If the Bulls can somehow give up some of their older players like Nocioni (27/28), P.J. & several picks, I would be fine with that.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Jan 30 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #15

6th Man

Member No.: 214

The main thing I expect from the Bulls is for them not to keep nucleuses together. It has been better since Krause left however. Still some of the guys we lost with not much in return, Brand, Artest, Brad Miller. I do think there are a lot of trades out there that make sense for the Bulls, I just hope they dont do one that is gonna make us need to start rebuilding again. In my eyes that is any trade that involves Gordon.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:43 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home