Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How would you guys feel ...
Chi-town23-33
post Aug 25 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #1

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

Saw this topic over on the ESPN boards, and I was thinking I would like to hear your opinions on retiring the jersey of Norm Van Lier or the jersey of Artis Gilmore.

Someone also mentioned some curse of the #2 jersey, can someon elaborate on this as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Aug 25 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

Obviously Norm Van Lier has been involved with the organization for a long time. However, I don't know if he was the type of player of whom you would retire there jersey.

Basically I think Sloan, MJ, Pippen are the three guys that have definately earned that. However, I am not all that incredibly familiar with the Bulls history from before my lifetime (which was the Jordan era and now this, but I followed the Bullls in the non-playoff dominant Jordan era where the Pistons always got the best of us).

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 25 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #3

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25 2006, 11:44 AM) *
Obviously Norm Van Lier has been involved with the organization for a long time. However, I don't know if he was the type of player of whom you would retire there jersey.

Basically I think Sloan, MJ, Pippen are the three guys that have definately earned that. However, I am not all that incredibly familiar with the Bulls history from before my lifetime (which was the Jordan era and now this, but I followed the Bullls in the non-playoff dominant Jordan era where the Pistons always got the best of us).

The guys that already have their numbers retired are those 3 and Bob Love. Love was also a solid player for the Bulls, averaging over 20 points a game for 6 straight years and 19 a game in another while making 3 All-star teams.

Van Lier is kind of borderline in my book. His career averages were 11.8 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 7 assists. That's decent, but not great, though he was also a 3 time All-Star. I wouldn't really have a problem if they retired it or not.

I would personally say no for Artis Gilmore. He was a great player for the Bulls (4 All-Star appearances), but he was only with them for 6 seasons, missing half of one of them. However, you can make the argument, since Love wasn't around much longer than him and Gilmore was clearly the better player.

+Quote Post
Chi-town23-33
post Aug 25 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #4

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 25 2006, 02:37 PM) *
Van Lier is kind of borderline in my book. His career averages were 11.8 points, 4.8 rebounds, and 7 assists. That's decent, but not great, though he was also a 3 time All-Star. I wouldn't really have a problem if they retired it or not.

I would personally say no for Artis Gilmore. He was a great player for the Bulls (4 All-Star appearances), but he was only with them for 6 seasons, missing half of one of them. However, you can make the argument, since Love wasn't around much longer than him and Gilmore was clearly the better player.

Well, if Van Lier's stats make him borderline, what about Sloans? Sloan averaged 14.0 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.5 assits for his career. If you way those versus Norm's there is not that huge of a difference. The one thing against Van Lier in my mind is the time factor, he played with us for six seasons out of ten, while West played 10 out of his 11 here. He also had two all-star appearances to Van Lier's three.

Another thing about Gilmore, is that he was actually the Bulls' draft pick in 1971 but instead opted to play in the ABA. Funny that he ended up back with us after that. Also, he should be in the Hall of Fame.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:26 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home