IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good article by Peter Vecsey on the Gasol trade.
eddog2
post Jan 31 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

"The Bulls, as I might've mentioned recently in this space, have the prerequisite enticement to snare Gasol. While I have no reason to think VP John Paxson will modify his steadfast opposition to swap Luol Deng and Ben Gordon (along with P.J. Brown's expiring $8.56M contract) for the answer to his team's offensive paint prayers, there sure seems to be plenty of negotiating room.

That's because the Bulls and their decision makers (I assume chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has some say in momentous personnel matters) own other desirable, exchangeable pieces, namely Andres Nocioni, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefolosha.

I suspect (strictly educated speculation) Memphis may be amenable to accepting one of the above players in place of Gordon or Deng. At the same time, I'm convinced a Gasol (plus Hakim Warrick) deal cannot happen unless one of those two (in addition to a first-rounder in the '08 or '09 draft, not this June) is included."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01302007/sport...eter_vecsey.htm

So does my Gasol/Warrick deal that I mentioned in the 3 team deal have some truth? We'll have to see. Whether Warrick goes to a 3rd team or the Bulls remains to be seen. However, I think that if Memphis does want Hinrich, they will have to send Warrick to a 3rd team to get the Bulls a PG in return. Highly unlikely, but still a possibility.

Vecsey is a smart man. I believe what he says that the Bulls can get Gasol for some combination of Nocioni/Kirk/Tyrus/Sefolosha. We could likely get him by giving up Tyrus & Nocioni. It wouldn't be a bad idea if Paxson could somehow get Gasol & Warrick for Nocioni/Tyrus/P.J. & the '08 1st round pick. That's a deal I'd definately do. Warrick would replace Nocioni & we would really only be giving up Tyrus & a 1st round pick for Gasol. I love Tyrus but I think that will benefit the Bulls. However, as Vecsey stated, a Warrick/Gasol deal might not be possible without including Deng or Gordon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 31 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

Man, I really don't know why they'd deal Warrick too, that makes no sense to me. It seems to me that he would be a major beneficiary of the added playing time that would be created by dealing Gasol.

If we could somehow get that deal you suggested I'd do it in half a heartbeat, but I really don't think Jerry West is that senile. It sounds like they wouldn't even consider it unless they got Deng or Gordon.

+Quote Post
bschmaranz
post Jan 31 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #3

Bench

Member No.: 59

I was initially okay with moving Gordon if we got Gasol, but the more I think of it, I won't like the prospect of not having Deng or Gordon in Chicago. Nocioni is my favorite player, but go ahead and move him and if we're getting Warrick, he kinda reminds me of Tyrus (undersized athletic freak that can play the 3 or 4). Of course Warrick doesn't have the potential of Tyrus, but I'd be okay with it as I think Noc, Brown and a pick FOR Gasol is more then great for us.

+Quote Post
Tony82087
post Jan 31 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 18

If you can center a deal around Noc, and add PJ, you give them whatever picks they want.

You get Gasol in the mix, without giving up Deng or Gordon, you have a core locked up for YEARS.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Jan 31 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 10

yup, exactly how i feel.
A deal without giving deng/gordon = add whatever picks. wink.gif

+Quote Post
MB33
post Jan 31 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #6

6th Man

Member No.: 477

Totally agree!

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Jan 31 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #7

Bench

Member No.: 163

If we can get Gasol for PJ, Tyrus Thomas, Nocioni and our first round pick in 07 and 08 I say go for it! Our bench wouldn't be as strong, but we would be an instant contender for the next 3-4 years. And with the East being kind of weak this year, this is defitley the year to strike.
Imagine our new starting lineup:
Duhon g
Hinrich g
Deng SF
Gasol PF/C
Wallace PF/C

Would i be mad if Pax didn't make this deal? No, if he kept the team as is, he would still be able to find that low post scoring presence in the offseason via free agency w/o giving up a whole lot. The team as is now will make it to the East Conference Semi's but can they get farther than that? I'm not so sure? Should be interesting to see if Pax does this?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 31 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Um, I think a lot of you need to read the last two sentences again. He makes it pretty clear that the deal likely won't happen unless one of Deng or Gordon is involved, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for A Noc/Tyrus/Brown/picks package...

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jan 31 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #9

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31 2007, 12:22 PM) *
Um, I think a lot of you need to read the last two sentences again. He makes it pretty clear that the deal likely won't happen unless one of Deng or Gordon is involved, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for A Noc/Tyrus/Brown/picks package...

that's what i was thinking.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Jan 31 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 163

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31 2007, 12:22 PM) *

well then. lets win or die trying with the guys we have and just fix that void this offseason. IMO Deng and Gordon should be untouchable. PJ Brown better be willing to step up his game down in the post.... if not i would seriously consider starting the rookie Tyrus Thomas after the All star break.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jan 31 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:19 PM) *
"The Bulls, as I might've mentioned recently in this space, have the prerequisite enticement to snare Gasol. While I have no reason to think VP John Paxson will modify his steadfast opposition to swap Luol Deng and Ben Gordon (along with P.J. Brown's expiring $8.56M contract) for the answer to his team's offensive paint prayers, there sure seems to be plenty of negotiating room.

That's because the Bulls and their decision makers (I assume chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has some say in momentous personnel matters) own other desirable, exchangeable pieces, namely Andres Nocioni, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefolosha.

I suspect (strictly educated speculation) Memphis may be amenable to accepting one of the above players in place of Gordon or Deng. At the same time, I'm convinced a Gasol (plus Hakim Warrick) deal cannot happen unless one of those two (in addition to a first-rounder in the '08 or '09 draft, not this June) is included."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01302007/sport...eter_vecsey.htm
So does my Gasol/Warrick deal that I mentioned in the 3 team deal have some truth? We'll have to see. Whether Warrick goes to a 3rd team or the Bulls remains to be seen. However, I think that if Memphis does want Hinrich, they will have to send Warrick to a 3rd team to get the Bulls a PG in return. Highly unlikely, but still a possibility.

Vecsey is a smart man. I believe what he says that the Bulls can get Gasol for some combination of Nocioni/Kirk/Tyrus/Sefolosha. We could likely get him by giving up Tyrus & Nocioni. It wouldn't be a bad idea if Paxson could somehow get Gasol & Warrick for Nocioni/Tyrus/P.J. & the '08 1st round pick. That's a deal I'd definately do. Warrick would replace Nocioni & we would really only be giving up Tyrus & a 1st round pick for Gasol. I love Tyrus but I think that will benefit the Bulls. However, as Vecsey stated, a Warrick/Gasol deal might not be possible without including Deng or Gordon.

If we get Gasol, we could definitely slide Warrick to another team for a legitimate 2 to replace Gordon (no one is going to tell me a package of Warrick and say Duhon or someone else wouldn't get us a legit 2...not a star, but a reasonably solid 2 guard).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 30 2007, 10:33 PM) *
Man, I really don't know why they'd deal Warrick too, that makes no sense to me. It seems to me that he would be a major beneficiary of the added playing time that would be created by dealing Gasol.

If we could somehow get that deal you suggested I'd do it in half a heartbeat, but I really don't think Jerry West is that senile. It sounds like they wouldn't even consider it unless they got Deng or Gordon.

Ya, I haven't quite understood why Warricks name comes up. I realize he's a bit undersized but he's put up good numbers for Memphis. I think if we got him he'd be coming off the bench and I have no idea if he plays much, if any defense, but we would be able to move him (he's young so he'd have lots of value) or keep him while moving Sweets and Duhon for something (again I think there are going to be teams that would have interest in a guy like Duhon and Sweets being parted allows the squad to get a guy that may be a bit overpaid but would help).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:07 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home