Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marc Gasol, brother of Paul????
bulls91
post Jan 10 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #1

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

first of all is he the brother of Paul gasol and if he is he will turn into a good player with some help from our coaches like his older brother is right now before he got injured?

In order to get him (which i think will be a good idea in my opinion) we will be needing to get a late first round draft pick from phily or someone around there because all the things that are going on they need to rebuild the team and we already did it could be a real bonus to them. and we have like five second round picks and we could trrade a lot of them because our roster is full of talented players we do not need to fill our roster. Sence we need a big man which he is at 7-1 and 270lbs. that could be a real plus and then sense every one is complaning that we need a big guard we could draft Daequan Cook with the early draft pick because the knicks are doing good right now and not as bad as we expected so if we get pick ten or lower we will get lucky.

What do you all think will he be good or not as good as his brother seems to have the same aspects???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jan 10 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Yeah, Pau's bro is named Marc, but how do you know about him? I didn't even think he was playing big time college basketball. I'm assuming he's at some small school now after originally trying to walk-on at Memphis. He's not very good. His team played mine in high school, and he was only good b/c he was huge. We still beat his high school.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jan 10 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #3

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

Interesting though, but remember, just because two guys are brothers, it doesn't mean they will have similar careers. There are a few family combo's that turn out to be amazing, but you also have plenty where only one succeeds (hell I'm sure 90% of athletes have brothers and you don't see many of them playing in the same league..hence the rarity of the Barbers who are both outstanding football players).

I also don't like the idea of getting latter round picks. I think we have enough young talent and now we should work on molding what we have (unless of course the Knicks find a way to tank, which I don't think will happen, and we end up getting a top 5 pick and a shot at Durant or Oden or someone else).

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 10 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Just because someone is a brother/son of someone that is good doesn't mean they will be as well. A few examples:

Pat Ewing Jr.
George Gervin Jr.
3 of the 4 Walton kids
Damien Wilkins
Drew and Jon Barry
T.J. Parker (god, that one hurts for NU fans sad.gif )

There are probably a few more obvious ones that I'm forgetting, but the point is that outside of the Wilkins, Grants, and Millers if you want to count Cheryl (unless I am forgetting some), one parent/son/sibling is usually a lot better.

As for Gasol, it looks like he's playing for Winturthur Barcelona (or FC Barcelona, I think they are the same thing) in the EuroLeague. According to his profile on nbadraft.net he's averaging 10.5 points and 3.6 rebounds in 23 MPG, which isn't all bad though it makes it sound like he's kind of soft (not sure it's that accurate either, seems to run contrary to all the other info). There also isn't a scouting report or a whole lot of info on there, which leads me to believe he isn't that great a prospect (he also isn't on Chad Ford's top 100, usually one of my favorite sources). They have him going #32, but I tend to dislike their projections, especially this early. On draftexpress he's listed as the 4th best 21-year old foreigner, behind Splitter, Fernandez, and some guy named Brad Newley. They have him going 43rd. They also had this in an article about the FIBA World Championship preview:

Fiba Preview (scroll down for profile)

Sounds like he's kind of fat and is limited athletically, but has some offensive talent. A major project even if he is a real prospect basically.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jan 11 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Does he play like a 7 footer? That is the question.

+Quote Post
bulls91
post Jan 11 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #6

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 10 2007, 06:14 PM) *
Yeah, Pau's bro is named Marc, but how do you know about him? I didn't even think he was playing big time college basketball. I'm assuming he's at some small school now after originally trying to walk-on at Memphis. He's not very good. His team played mine in high school, and he was only good b/c he was huge. We still beat his high school.

I was just looking on mock drafts and i saw the name because it was Familiar and that came to my mind

From the youtube videos that i saw he has some work to do but he has good low post moves and a good offensive game. but could work on moving his feet so he can play defence better and also run the court like he can not do right now. Also it mentioned that he still has some baby fat on him and if he gets off and turn some of that into muscle that of it will help him in several ways and become and good player.

From the mock drafts that i have seen he has gone from late first to mid second round?

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jan 11 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

Just because someone is a brother/son of someone that is good doesn't mean they will be as well.

what about jordans kids? they seem to be doing good, i saw highlights of them on the news
thats also not the case for football, there are alot of brothers that are both good.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 11 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jan 11 2007, 04:13 PM) *
what about jordans kids? they seem to be doing good, i saw highlights of them on the news
thats also not the case for football, there are alot of brothers that are both good.

Jeffrey isn't really considered a prospect for college by most accounts. Marcus is supposed to be better, but he's a bit younger so the rankings don't go down as far. Neither seems to be considered a future star.

There are a few more in football (Sharpe, Sharper, Barber, Jones, Manning), but I can't really think of too many more, at least not good ones (ie Terrence Holt, Boss Bailey, Tim Hassleback, Cullen Jenkins, Marques Ogden, Jordan Palmer, several other less prominant duos where neither one is particularly good). It's not like there are star pairs of brothers everywhere. Remember that there are also over 4 times as many players on an NFL roster...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:01 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home