IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jerry Reinsdorf Interview (Good), Talks about not wanting Gordon back, the Ben Wallace mistake etc.
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 20 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...97.story?page=1

It's a pretty good interview, a very telling one. Atleast he came out and blatantly said they weren't going to resign Ben Gordon instead of hanging on the fence.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 20 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

That really is a great interview. It's nice how honest he was on some stuff. I understand he can't get into the Boozer/Bosh deals, but he didn't shy away from talking about BG or Wallace or the coaching search last summer. I like that.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 20 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

First question paraphrased:

"Here's an opportunity for you to say something positive about Vinny Del Negro and say you've got his back and he's your coach. Go ahead."

"Crickets"

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Jul 20 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #4

6th Man

Member No.: 781

I like what he had to say about the celtics series.

get us back to the promised land JR

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 20 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #5

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

Now I know that the Bulls management is full of spiff and does not know what they are doing (as if I didn't know that before). If they "decided" a year ago that they wouldn't keep BG which is what I suspected all along then they are freaking idiots for not trading him for something of value even if that was just for a future pick or the right to move up in the draft. To lose BG for nothing is just stupid managment. Especially when I'm sure he would have been a sought after player in a blockbuster move. JR's an idiot. And I'm sure that hell of a 3 guard rotation will only be a two guard rotation next year b/c they'll probably make Salmons a low ball offer as well. But come this time next year he'll come up with some bullshit about how he didn't think Salmons fit in long term. JR needs to sell the Bulls to someone who actually is interested in putting together a title contender.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 20 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Kirk sucks. This year the Bulls will finally realize it.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 21 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Superstar

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Now I know that the Bulls management is full of spiff and does not know what they are doing (as if I didn't know that before). If they "decided" a year ago that they wouldn't keep BG which is what I suspected all along then they are freaking idiots for not trading him for something of value even if that was just for a future pick or the right to move up in the draft. To lose BG for nothing is just stupid managment. Especially when I'm sure he would have been a sought after player in a blockbuster move. JR's an idiot. And I'm sure that hell of a 3 guard rotation will only be a two guard rotation next year b/c they'll probably make Salmons a low ball offer as well. But come this time next year he'll come up with some bullshit about how he didn't think Salmons fit in long term. JR needs to sell the Bulls to someone who actually is interested in putting together a title contender.

Trade Ben Gordon, miss the playoffs, miss the playoff revenue. That's an awful short-term move for little benefit. If anyone really wanted Gordon they'd have been able to pull off a sign and trade.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 21 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:01 AM) *
And I'm sure that hell of a 3 guard rotation will only be a two guard rotation next year b/c they'll probably make Salmons a low ball offer as well. But come this time next year he'll come up with some bullshit about how he didn't think Salmons fit in long term. JR needs to sell the Bulls to someone who actually is interested in putting together a title contender.

Salmons is signed through 2010/2011...

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 21 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #9

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Salmons is signed through 2010/2011...

Isn't there some weird deal with him having an opt-out clause of some sort?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 21 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #10

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 21 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Isn't there some weird deal with him having an opt-out clause of some sort?

I'm not sure. I don't think so because it's always mentioned that he'll count against the cap for 2010 FA and it's not listed as a player option on Hoops Hype.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 21 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #11

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21 2009, 02:24 PM) *
I'm not sure. I don't think so because it's always mentioned that he'll count against the cap for 2010 FA and it's not listed as a player option on Hoops Hype.

That's weird. I'm pretty sure that a couple of weeks ago it listed his salary as a player option but maybe not. I wonder if he exercised his option or something or if HoopsHype had it wrong all along or if they have it wrong now.

Well if he's locked on the books until 2011 that tells me that the Bulls probably will be focused on signing a PF (Bosh) and not Wade next off-season. Either that or they'll have to trade either Deng or Salmons (or force one to the bench) in 2010 if they get Wade (which is not a bad thing).

Either way you slice it, we still got rid of Nocioni's long term deal so I'm happy.

On a side note, I'm thinking that the Kings will have to play Nocioni at the PF a bit this year b/c they have a huge log jam at SF (Nocioni, Garcia, Green) and not enough big men outside of (Thompson/Hawes/May). At PG they have Rodriguez/Udrich/Evans though I think they'll quickly realize they are better off using Rodriguez/Udrich at PG and Martin/Evans at SG. The Rodriguez trade was a very good trade for the Kings.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 21 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #12

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:45 PM) *
Trade Ben Gordon, miss the playoffs, miss the playoff revenue. That would have been an awful move.

I hope it all backfires and he does miss the playoffs this year. Then he'll actually realize that maybe BG was worth the $10M.

And your comment proves my point exactly. JR is more worried about the immediate financial impact of his decisions instead of building a championship. If he knew BG wasn't in the plans they should have traded BG for a pick or coupled him with Deng or someone else who "isn't in their plans" for an upgrade at SG, SF, or PF. But instead he wants to make a few million more by making the playoffs and letting BG walk. It's crap. Then he signs Pargo as icing on the cake. (another short term backwards decision)

I'm sure the Bulls could have traded BG and other contracts to the Pistons for A.I. and their pick (or BG for another expiring and the pick). A.I. likely would have still allowed us to make the playoffs and the Bulls would have saved additional cap room this year and would have ended up with the 15th pick. That would have allowed us to draft someone like Jeff Teague as a backup PG or take a gamble on Austin Daye. Or maybe we would have been able to package 15 & 16 to move up and take DeRozan or Hill. Anyway, it's all what ifs. But the fact is that the Bulls did nothing. BG = a rare commodity. Players with his scoring ability have tons of value. Especially to a championship contender when he's a 1 year rental. You don't think the Jazz, Suns, Rockets, Spurs or anyone else would have been willing to gamble away a 1st round pick in order to have a scorer that could potentially get them over the hump and possibly past the Lakers. All 4 teams would have benefited greatly from a scorer like BG.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 21 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #13

All-Star

They tried to move Gordon for most of the off-season in a sign and trade last year, they didn't get anywhere. He wanted a sizeable extension as part of the deal and no one wanted to give it to him. The other problem with that is that he would have immediately become a BYC player, making him extremely difficult to move.

Trading him for anything less than a starting caliber player would have been an awful move, their team would have been stuck in the late lottery again and the draft wouldn't have given them much help. I don't think Detroit would have bothered trading for Gordon mid-season either considering they wouldn't have been able to sign him to an extension immediately. They'd have had to find a match with a team that had cap/luxury tax room as well as a $4-$6 mil player to send back, that's not terribly easy.

The bottom line is that Gordon wasn't close to the player to put them over the top as a contender, so while it sucks that they ended up losing him for nothing it's not going to be the end of the world. It's a shame that they didn't trade him for an true impact player like Kobe, Gasol or KG when he was younger.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 25 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #14

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22 2009, 12:38 AM) *
They tried to move Gordon for most of the off-season in a sign and trade last year, they didn't get anywhere. He wanted a sizeable extension as part of the deal and no one wanted to give it to him. The other problem with that is that he would have immediately become a BYC player, making him extremely difficult to move.

Trading him for anything less than a starting caliber player would have been an awful move, their team would have been stuck in the late lottery again and the draft wouldn't have given them much help. I don't think Detroit would have bothered trading for Gordon mid-season either considering they wouldn't have been able to sign him to an extension immediately. They'd have had to find a match with a team that had cap/luxury tax room as well as a $4-$6 mil player to send back, that's not terribly easy.

The bottom line is that Gordon wasn't close to the player to put them over the top as a contender, so while it sucks that they ended up losing him for nothing it's not going to be the end of the world. It's a shame that they didn't trade him for an true impact player like Kobe, Gasol or KG when he was younger.

So true.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 25 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #15

All-Star

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 25 2009, 01:25 AM) *
So true.

You can say that about any of the "core" from 2006-2007 for that matter...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:57 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home