IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Big Men I Wouldn't/Would Be Interested In, They Either Hurt/Help the Win Column
eddog2
post Aug 6 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Here is a list of the bigs in the league that I want the Bulls to have no part of b/c their overinflated stats don't help produce W's. Of course some of these bigs if placed in the right defensive system could help us be a better team but I don't want to pay close to max $$ for a player who by himself can't help you win (a.k.a. they are not Duncan like):

LaMarcus Aldridge - soft as a pillow and all he wants to do is shoot jumpers instead of using his length and frame to do significant damage down low. That's why he didn't crack 49+% from the field and that's why his career high in rebounds is 7.6 rpg. That and I want nothing to do with the massive extension he's about to get.
Carlos Boozer-A selfish player who will likely get hurt as soon as he gets his extension. My guess is he'll play very well this year and then he'll sign an extension with some sucker and go downhill from there. If we are willing to trade for him and then cut ties after this season to upgrade for Bosh or Wade then I'll be totally fine with a deal for Boozer.
Al Jefferson - an overproductive talent that has a marginal impact on W's. He could potentially be what we need but there are others who I think would fit much better and who would cost much less. He's a more well mannered Zach Randolph.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas - the only reason to have his inflated contract would be for cap space
Brad Miller - the only reason to have his inflated contract would be for cap space
Erik Dampier - talk about a waste of size and potential. He's a Shaq sized softie.
Zach Randolph - headcase.
Yao Ming - walking injury who can't carry a team.
Troy Murphy - he puts up #'s but isn't the reason Indiana wins games
Chris Kaman - I wanted to put him on the keeper list but I just can't. He's an injury prone big that struggles to shoot 50%.
Udonis Haslem
Yi JianLian - He still has potential to turn it around but he hasn't shown enough progress yet. For player with offensive talent he sure shoots a horrible %.
David Lee - No thanks. I don't think he's worth the contract he's looking for. His stats are a byproduct of the system he played in. Proof once again that a DiAntoni system can do wonders for a player's stats.
Eddy Curry - If he were 50lbs lighter I'd consider it.
Darko - I know how to spell his last name but he's such a flop I won't even bother. He's one of the few players who isn't a star but is still known by just one name. The work Darko will end up being used to define a bad move. "Man that guy pulled a Darko"
Michael Beasley - It was hard for me to put him in this category but I'm not sure his talent will ever overcome his childish behavior and demeanor on the court. He has the potential to explode statistically this year but will that mean W's for the Heat? Only time will tell. He has the potential to make my keeper list but the Bulls would never pursue him anyway.
Elton Brand - I wouldn't risk my $$ on his overinflated deal b/c he's a walking on the way down injury risk (think Chris Webber on the downslope).
Samuel Dalembert - We don't need an overpaid Noah clone.

Here is a list of players I'd love for the Bulls to get/keep (though many are unrealistic). Many of them may not have the glamourous stats but their effort and work ethic when combined with their underutilized skills would significantly help the Bulls. And for many of these players, their cap impact would not be as significant.

Al Horford - I think Al Horford is the perfect fit for Chicago. He talented enough offensively to make a difference and he's the worker and role model that fits the baby Bulls perfectly. That an he's only 23. He's also likely to not command a max deal while still producing enough off the stat sheets to have the impact of a max deal player like Bosh. It's no coincidence that the Hawks rise didn't happen until he joined the team.
Anthony Randolph - He's a future upgrade to Lamar Odom. A PF with SF speed and athletic ability. He's a special talent in the making.
Joakim Noah - I think Noah is figuring out how to be successful in the NBA and if we can keep him long term at a reasonable contract sign me up. He really helped win me over last year.
Tyrus Thomas - If we can sign him to a reasonable deal, I think he has too much upside still left to let him go. Plus he is a spark defensively at times and I think his game can be molded by Rose.
Jason Thompson - I loved this guy coming out of college and I think he has the potential to be a very good player.
DeJaun Blair - I won't stop pushing this issue until Blair is no longer in the league. Selecting Taj over Blair was a joke and we'll realize it opening night.
David West - He's getting up there in age but he's still a very good fit in our offense.
Serge Ibaka - I'd take this guy on potential alone. He's an athletic freak that could develop into the next star at his position. At this point he's still very raw.
Marcus Camby - I think his expiring deal would be perfect for us. Any chance they are interested in Kirk?
Dirk Nowitzki - He's getting up there in age but if we could get him this year I'd support it. I still don't think he's a leader but plug him in with Rose/Deng & Noah and we could be talking championship contenders. He's not your typical big but his offensive ability set him apart.
Andrea Bargnani - The future Dirk? At 24 years of age he has the size and shooting ability to make himself a household name over the next 5-10 years.
Tim Duncan - I'd take him for the next couple of seasons if we want to win a title or two.
Amare - He's not motivated defensively but if healthy he could be the missing link in our up-tempo offense. Rose/Salmons/Deng/Amare/Noah would be a force to be reckoned with.
JaVale McGee - I really like his size, athleticism and willingness to bang offensively. If he can add 20lbs of muscle and some more post moves watch out.
Chris Bosh - I'm not really sold on Bosh. I think he's too soft to really be a difference maker but I put him on this list b/c I think that he would play well enough with Noah to make us better. However, if I had to choose b/w him and Wade I'm taking Wade all day and then keeping Tyrus.
Greg Oden - I'd be willing to take a 2 year risk on him until his rookie contract is over. If he doesn't produce by then I'd cut him loose.
Spencer Hawes - I'm not sure if his increased production was the byproduct of a bad team or if he's a starting quality center but I'd take a risk on him and his shooting touch.
Sean May - Off the bench? I'd take a gamble that a change of teams could be a good thing.
Robin Lopez - I wouldn't mind him coming off our bench.
Dwight Howard - He's not going anywhere but he's every teams dream.
Pau Gasol - What could have been. He's not going to win it for you by himself but he would have fit in nicely next to Noah.
Andrew Bynum - He's injury prone but shows enough flashes to keep my eyes glued to the screen.
Emeka Okafor - I think a change of location and playing with other stars will help his game.
Blake Griffin - He's the real deal.
Andris Biedrins - Very good defensive player. Probably not what we are missing but I wouldn't mind having another young promising big man.
Kevin Garnett - At the right price he's still be the missing link
Marreese Speights - I wouldn't give up anything big for him but also wouldn't mind him coming off our bench.
Kendrick Perkins - Watching him play in the playoffs was enough to get me on the bandwagon.
Tyson Chandler - He's a solid defender and I loved when we had him.
Nene - Not many bigs with this size, passion, and mobility.
Shaq - His expiring and his postgame comments would have been enough to sell me.
Chris Wilcox - He'll outproduce the $3M contract he got. Can't say that about all bigs who get $3M.
Brandon Wright - He's worth the risk. His potential is still very high and his contract is still reasonable.
Joey Dorsey - His contract is super low and I think we'll see this year that he's a capable backup
Roy Hibbert - He's not going to be an all-star but he could be a solid backup center for years to come.
Tyler Hansbrough - A workhorse with underrated skills. How can you not want someone like him on your team?
Brook Lopez - I don't think he's a future star like some do but he's definately an upgrade in the post for us. As long as we are not talking a huge contract extension I wouldn't mind him and Noah patrolling the middle on both ends.
Kevin Love - I'd take him and his work ethic over Jefferson's production and overinflated contract. Love has the potential to be better than Brad Miller in just about every aspect.
Andrew Bogut - When healthy he's a good player. I think he's due for a change of scenary. Combine him with Noah and you have an intimidating young duo in the middle.

To Be Decided:
Hasheem Thabeet - could be very good or a big bust
Jordan Hill - I think he'll be a bust
BJ Mullens - Hard for me to decide
Omer Asik - I'm hoping he's far from a bust

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Aug 6 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #2

6th Man

Member No.: 781

you forgot kwame brown

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 6 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

Aside from now Brandon Roy, you know who has the longest contract in the league? Bargnani.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 6 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I find it strange/interesting that you don't want anything to do with Aldridge but have Dirk and Bargnani on the want list. Granted they are better outside shooters, but as big men they have the same flaws. Actually, Aldridge takes far more shots in the basket area than either of them, he was at 34% and converted at 62.3% while Dirk (15/58.5) and Bargs (25/58.9) were far lower. Plus Bargs just got a 5-50 extension. I'd much rather pay LaMarcus 14 or so than Bargnani 10. Dirk is also considerably older and will cost a ton on his next extension (he's already making $19 mil, more than Aldridge can even get).

I'd take Jefferson in a heartbeat too assuming he's healthy. Sure, he hasn't won, but they said the same thing about Gasol in Memphis. Minnesota is a terrible organization and he's had no help whatsoever. His contract is actually fairly good too, he's locked up through 2013 at an average of 13.5 mil, that's great value. He's several percentage points better from the field than Randolph and though not great isn't anywhere near as big a slug as him defensively either. Put him next to someone like Noah that can actually stop someone inside instead of pairing him with the awful Ryan Gomes or the burly, length challenged and floor bound Craig Smith and Kevin Love and he'd be a HUGE asset.

I'll throw in a defense for Beasley too. He's definitely got flaws, he's brutal defensively and has a chucker mentality. However, Spoelstra gave him zero leesh and he was still productive. He averaged 14-5 on the season in just under 25 MPG and averaged 20.6 and 8.6 in just over 31 MPG in 8 April games. He ended up shooting 47.2% from the floor on the season, was one of the best mid-range shooters in the league (44% on 2-point jumpers), and hit 40.7% on about 1 three attempt per game. He easily would have averaged 18-8 if he went to Memphis instead of Miami and could easily be one of the best scorers in the league. If Spoelstra lets him play, he'll have a huge season.

There are plenty of other marginal/non-productive players on the want list too, a rather strange grouping. I agree on a lot of them, but others not so much. Ibaka was terrible even in the summer league and he's not exactly super-young, Sean May was marginal even when healthy (argued that before), Biedrins is basically Noah but paid $9 mil a year and Golden State is still the worst team in the league inside, Dorsey is only 6'8", is 25 already and is a backup PF with no offensive value, and finally Bogut is GROSSLY overpaid given his production, 12-9 is not worth $12 mil a year.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Aug 6 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 6 2009, 11:30 AM) *
I find it strange/interesting that you don't want anything to do with Aldridge but have Dirk and Bargnani on the want list. Granted they are better outside shooters, but as big men they have the same flaws. In fact, Bargs is even less useful inside and just got something like a 5-53 extension. I'd much rather pay LaMarcus 14 or so than Bargnani 11. Dirk is also considerably older and will cost a ton on his next extension (he's already making $19 mil, more than Aldridge can even get).

I'd take Jefferson in a heartbeat too assuming he's healthy. Sure, he hasn't won, but they said the same thing about Gasol in Memphis. Minnesota is a terrible organization and he's had no help whatsoever. His contract is actually fairly good too, he's locked up through 2013 at an average of 13.5 mil, that's great value. He's several percentage points better from the field than Randolph and though not great isn't anywhere near as big a slug as him defensively either. Put him next to someone like Noah that can actually stop someone inside instead of pairing him with the awful Ryan Gomes or the burly, length challenged and floor bound Craig Smith and Kevin Love and he'd be a HUGE asset.

There are plenty of other marginal/non-productive players on the want list too, a rather strange grouping. I agree on a lot of them, but others not so much. Ibaka was terrible even in the summer league and he's not exactly super-young, Sean May was marginal even when healthy (argued that before), Biedrins is basically Noah but paid $9 mil a year and Golden State is still the worst team in the league inside, Dorsey is only 6'8", is 25 already and is a backup PF with no offensive value, and finally Bogut is GROSSLY overpaid given his production, 12-9 is not worth $12 mil a year.

I started with just people who I thought would be huge difference makers and then as I started to go through the entire list I started adding guys that I wouldn't mind coming off the bench as well.

Dirk's going to be 31 and I'm not talking about locking him up long term. I'm saying if we want to win now he'd look pretty good with Rose & Noah and he'd be our go to scorer. Sure he has some of the same flaws as Aldridge but he actually rebounds the ball pretty well for always being out 15+ft from the basket, he's a much better all around offensive player, and he gets to the free throw line and converts in bunches. As for Bargnani, he can play anywhere from the 3 to 5 depending on who he has to guard and I really think his game is evolving. He had a rough two years in the league but last year things started clicking and I think that will continue this year. He shot 40% from the arc last year. His game resembles Dirk in so many ways and I think he'd be great next to Noah or even playing the 3. I know he's not the back to the basket player we all have been talking about since Brand left but the NBA game is evolving and teams like Orlando that can create mismatches seem to be having success. Put Bargnani out on the floor with someone of Rose's speed and athletic ability and he could see a ton of open jump shots.

Like I said, the guy I most see fitting in with what the Bulls need and with the vision they want to proceed is Al Horford. He's the relatively inexpensive link that would make us a better more well rounded team. And he has the attitude and persona that the Bulls look for. That an he's only 23.

As for Jefferson, I knew just mentioning his name would get you to respond. I just am not high on the guy. I've watched him play and he puts up the same stats as Elton Brand once did (with less shot blocking) but he doesn't impact the games in the same way. Maybe it's just me. I think I've seen him hit one game winner. And I never see him dominate the 4th quarter. The T-Wolves are bad but even KG took them to the playoffs. And Pau Gasol took Memphis to the playoffs 3 straight years. After a while stars get burnt out and upset that their GM's don't bring in the talent they need. KG won 46 games in his 2nd year. Anyway, Al's going into his 6th year. Enough with the talent arguement. I'm not looking for the playoffs. I'm looking for a marginal improvement. Plus, the guy had a serious season ending knee injury. For a guy that wasn't the greatest athlete before the injury he won't be any more athletic coming out of it. I'm just not sold on the guy and I know you are. I have to give you credit on the Noah comment though. Maybe Jefferson could be more effective if he played next to another defender. I'd be willing to risk taking a chance that he could be the missing link but I'd much rather take that risk with other names on the list.

I don't have Biedrins high on my mental list but I listed a bunch of players I wouldn't mind being on the Bulls. Hopefully we have anothe Biedrins in Omer Asik. Anyway, Sean May would have been nice off the bench. I'm not saying he's the answer. I listed guys I want nothing to do with or that I think are paid too much or have other risk concerns and then I listed guys who I thought could make a big difference or guys that I wouldn't mind if we added to the roster.

If we are talking about building a team to win down the road I'd take the players on my list in this order (both lists assume we still have Noah):

Dwight
Horford
Randolph (Anthony R. that is)
Griffin
Bynum (if not for my injury concerns he's be #2 on my list)
Amare
Bosh
Ibaka - and he turns 20 this year. How is that not young. I know he's raw. Just wait. If he wasn't such an unknown I'd have him even higher than I already do. I know I have him high already. smile.gif
Bargnani
Thompson
Hawes
Lopez
Oden (if not for looking like he's 50 and getting injured all the time he'd probably be behind Amare)
McGee
Tyrus
Blair

If we are talking win now I'd take players on my list in this order:

Dwight
Garnett
Horford
Dirk
Bosh
Gasol
West
Shaq
Griffin
Camby
Okafor
Bogut
Blair - Though he probably doesn't make us that much better I think he's ready to do his thing from day 1.

Of the players that are probably realistically attainable (Griffin & Dwight are not) for the right price I think Horford is the only ones that meets our short and long term needs in that he has an offensive game, can develop into standout defender, has displayed good character thus far, probably won't require a max contract, and is super young. I'd say Horford would be ready to step in an control the 4 spot for the next 10+ years and him and Noah would work perfect together on both ends. And don't give me stats about his offense. Horford is an example of where stats don't tell the whole story.

If there was any way we could steal him out of Atlanta we need to try. Atlanta has long been in love with SF's. Think they'd take Deng for him? JK. smile.gif Anyway, I think we'd have to do a 3 team trade if we would ever even have a shot b/c Atlanta would want a center in return. Or do you think they'd have any interest in Boozer? The Jazz could give them Boozer, the Clippers Camby and we could give the Jazz Tyrus and the Clippers Kirk (or the Hawks could dump Horford and Smith and get Camby/Boozer/& Tyrus). Trade some marginal spare parts and give up some draft picks if we have to and we could be looking at this lineup for the next 10 years (of course it would probably cost $70M+ to keep it together but that group could muster at least 6 championships in that group). Anyway, I know it won't happen but it's nice to dream.

Noah
Horford
Deng
Wade
Rose

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 6 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #6

All-Star

I'm not a big fan of Bargnani at all, he's basically a smaller, quicker Mehmet Okur. That guy doesn't win you a whole lot of games. He's more of a SF in a PF's body than anything and will probably put up 18-6 for the rest of his life. If you want to play the "impact on a team's success" card, he was the third best player on the Raptors last year and they still won 33 games. You can argue that he's still developing I guess, but he's only a few months younger than Aldridge, who I think still has a little room to grow if he works on it as well (mostly by playing like Bosh and drawing a few more fouls). He'd need to get much better with the mid-range jumper to make the same impact as Dirk (which is still fairly marginal most years, gets you to the playoffs but rarely gives you a legit shot to win it all), he's arguably the best mid-range shooter in the league.

I'm not trying to compare Jefferson to KG or Gasol at their peaks, they are/were both better than him. That said, he's only had three years as an above average player and only two at an All-Star level of play. Pierce was in and out of the lineup when he put up 16-10 in Boston, outside of that the best "complement" he's had is Randy Foye. Even guys like Wally Sczcerbiak and Jason Williams were better than that.

Unless you're a true superstar, you're going to struggle with a team like that. Dwayne Wade is one of the top-5 players in the league and that still only got Miami 43 wins and a first round out in the Eastern Conference because his supporting cast was similarly abysmal. Same thing with Kobe Bryant post-Shaq/pre-Gasol. KG and Gasol missed the playoffs a bunch of times with those teams too, it didn't always work out for them.

We're also talking about fits for the Bulls, which means he'd be playing with Derrick Rose. That's exponentially better than anyone he's played with thus far. Maybe then he wouldn't have to force so many jump shots because the T-Wolves don't have anyone else that could score.

We'll see on the injury. It's a concern, but then again he never relied on his athleticism to start with. He's been successful because he probably has the best assortment of low post moves in the entire league, that's not going to change post-injury. As long as he doesn't pull an Elton Brand and start taking 70% of his shots from outside the basket area he should be relatively close. One never knows with injuries though.

My comment was that Ibaka isn't absurdly young, he's basically the same age as an incoming college junior. Considering he's god-awful and has a long way to go, that makes a difference. Seriously, the guy is worse than Tyrus was when we got him, I don't care how high he jumps. He shot 33% in the summer league and somehow turned it over 3 times in a little less than 18 MPG. That's abysmal, 80% of those guys are headed to the NBDL or overseas soon and most of the legit NBA guys are rookies/bench players.

I do like Horford a lot, he needs to become a bigger threat offensively to take the next step though.

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Aug 6 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 781

Wow... I can't believe I just read posts from people saying they wouldn't want Dirk. Even with his age, he probably has 2 or 3 more all-star years left in him and his injury history isn't that serious.

If he ever wants out of Dallas I would gladly pay for his ticket to Chicago.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 6 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #8

All-Star

QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Aug 6 2009, 04:15 PM) *
Wow... I can't believe I just read posts from people saying they wouldn't want Dirk. Even with his age, he probably has 2 or 3 more all-star years left in him and his injury history isn't that serious.

If he ever wants out of Dallas I would gladly pay for his ticket to Chicago.

The problem is do you really want to bet $20 mil a year or more that he has 3 good years left? Considering he's made a deep run in the playoffs twice (once with Nash as his PG), I wouldn't at this point. He's a phenomenal shooter, but is pretty average in every other aspect of the game. He's also one of the weaker "elite" clutch scorers, putting up a FG% in the low 40's in the clutch according to 82games.com. He'd greatly improve the Bulls' offense, but probably doesn't make them a legitimate title contender and that contract could be a killer if he falls off quickly. I also doubt Cuban lets him go elsewhere anyways.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 6 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 6 2009, 02:40 PM) *
The problem is do you really want to bet $20 mil a year or more that he has 3 good years left? Considering he's made a deep run in the playoffs twice (once with Nash as his PG), I wouldn't at this point. He's a phenomenal shooter, but is pretty average in every other aspect of the game. He's also one of the weaker "elite" clutch scorers, putting up a FG% in the low 40's in the clutch according to 82games.com. He'd greatly improve the Bulls' offense, but probably doesn't make them a legitimate title contender and that contract could be a killer if he falls off quickly. I also doubt Cuban lets him go elsewhere anyways.

The question is...who else is going to offer him that contract?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 6 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #10

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 6 2009, 05:27 PM) *
The question is...who else is going to offer him that contract?

Probably Dallas, Cuban doesn't really appear to be hurting for money considering they brought in Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion recently. Maybe Houston if Yao is done and they can't get Bosh. Maybe Cleveland or Miami as a complement to Lebron/Wade, or the Knicks if they strike out on the bigger fish.

Someone will ALWAYS spend if they think they're close to a title, the Spurs just added Jefferson at $14 mil a year and the Magic just added Carter at $16 mil plus. Neither of them is as good as Dirk.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Aug 6 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 6 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Considering he's god-awful and has a long way to go, that makes a difference. Seriously, the guy is worse than Tyrus was when we got him, I don't care how high he jumps. He shot 33% in the summer league and somehow turned it over 3 times in a little less than 18 MPG. That's abysmal, 80% of those guys are headed to the NBDL or overseas soon and most of the legit NBA guys are rookies/bench players.

That's awesome. smile.gif Anyway, supercrazy athlethes always have a special place in my heart and on my team wish list. Maybe that's why I'm a big Tyrus supporter. Anyway, I don't like boring basketball (Jefferson). I like up tempo lobs, monster jams, and 3 point shooting. That's why I like the Magic so much now. Anyway, I know Ibaka is far from developing but he's a 20 year old that has not been in the right system to develop. And he didn't fair that bad when he played in the Orlando Summer League and Westbrook was running the show. He's a long way away but if he works hard he'll be a success.

As for Dirk, whoever said we shouldn't get Dirk is smoking something. I hate Dirk and I still admit that he would help our team. I don't want to give him a 5 year deal but a 3 year deal would be fine.

http://newsok.com/thunder-big-man-serge-ib...article/3383677
"For the greater part of his upbringing in the Congo, Ibaka lived in a house with no electricity or running water.

His basketball experience consisted solely of playing outdoors, wearing cardboard inserts inside his sneakers to cover the holes in his soles.

Now, he’ll have all the shoes he can handle, especially if this early success is any indication."

"He’s good, really aggressive and very quick,” said Hibbert, who led the Pacers with 24 points and eight rebounds. "I kept trying to use my size and weight on him since he’s more of a four, but he did a nice job staying active and using his speed.” - Roy Hibbert

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 6 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #12

All-Star

I never said I wouldn't take Dirk if that's my only choice, but there are guys I'd rather have. I'd much rather get a guy that fits with our general age bracket than Dirk, especially given his price tag.

The Bulls' good players are all under 25, by the time they hit their prime Dirk will be on the decline. No doubt he'd be a huge boost to the offense, but I'm still not so sure they'd be a legit threat to win it all. In his prime okay, but he's had Howard, Terry and Kidd or Harris the last few years and hasn't really been a major threat to get a ring. Are the Bulls really any better than that? Rose is an upgrade, but the rest of the roster kind of cancels it out (especially since Tyrus wouldn't be starting anymore). Dirk is far from a defensive stopper and offers little post-scoring too, so we'd have most of the same issues.

As long as we're discussing things that have little chance of happening, if you can get someone like Jefferson you'd have an extra $6 mil to play with under the cap to get you another starter. That could play a big role, and in 3 or 4 years I'd be a lot more confident in Al performing at a high level than Dirk

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Aug 7 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #13

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 6 2009, 06:43 PM) *
I never said I wouldn't take Dirk if that's my only choice, but there are guys I'd rather have. I'd much rather get a guy that fits with our general age bracket than Dirk, especially given his price tag.

The Bulls' good players are all under 25, by the time they hit their prime Dirk will be on the decline. No doubt he'd be a huge boost to the offense, but I'm still not so sure they'd be a legit threat to win it all. In his prime okay, but he's had Howard, Terry and Kidd or Harris the last few years and hasn't really been a major threat to get a ring. Are the Bulls really any better than that? Rose is an upgrade, but the rest of the roster kind of cancels it out (especially since Tyrus wouldn't be starting anymore). Dirk is far from a defensive stopper and offers little post-scoring too, so we'd have most of the same issues.

As long as we're discussing things that have little chance of happening, if you can get someone like Jefferson you'd have an extra $6 mil to play with under the cap to get you another starter. That could play a big role, and in 3 or 4 years I'd be a lot more confident in Al performing at a high level than Dirk

Is it just me or does nobody think that we'd be title contenders if we added Dirk next off-season and didn't give up anything (or let Tyrus go)? Like I said before, I wouldn't mind a 3 year deal but I wouldn't want to pay him a long term deal past 35 years of age. Maybe Dirk is not in his prime anymore but he's still putting up great numbers.

I'd argue that our team would be better than any team he's been on and that we'd be able to compete for a title.

Noah > Dampier
Dirk
Deng > Howard
Salmons = upgrade to any starting SG they had when they went to the title (Terry would be off the bench)
Rose > All PG's he's played with (Kidd is over the Hill, Harris was still developing, & Nash wasn't really Nash yet)

Bench
Kirk/Johnson/Taj

Dirk probably will get a max extension from Dallas but you never know. If we can get him for $15M or something like that for 3 years I'd do it. I'm sure we'd have to let Tyrus go in order to do it (which is not ideal) but at least we'd have a 3 year replacement at the same position.

Anyway, like you said none of this will probably happen. But if something big were going to happen Jefferson would not be on the list of a handful of players I'd like to get.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:39 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home