post Apr 24 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #1

I'm fresh.

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 131

Deng expects different look from Heat
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer

Posted Apr 23 2007 5:40PM

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) Luol Deng expects the adjustments to be as subtle as some of the hard fouls the teams have exchanged in recent seasons.

He knows the Miami Heat have to do something.

The defending champions had two days to digest what happened in Game 1 Saturday, when Deng scored 33 points to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 96-91 victory. Two days to figure out how someone who struggled against them in the regular season went off like that. And two days to correct it before the series resumes Tuesday in Chicago.

"I know they're going to come with a different look,'' Deng said.

He knows the Heat are physical, will try to wear down the Bulls, but it's tough to do when a team can't catch its opponent. And the Heat couldn't stop Chicago in the opener.

"Everybody could have done a better job,'' coach Pat Riley said. "All of us.''

The Bulls took three of four in the regular season and the loss came when Miami dictated the tempo, so it was no secret they wanted to pick up the pace. And Chicago did just that.

The Bulls outscored the Heat 25-4 on the break, but what they did in the halfcourt was just as important.

They penetrated. They moved the ball. Deng got open shots, and that's why the Bulls were quick to downplay his five-inch size advantage over Dwyane Wade, the man guarding him.

"Having a small guy on me, it's not as if I kept posting up,'' Deng said.

That's why he thinks it won't matter if the Heat put the bigger Eddie Jones or James Posey on him. Deng's points come from his ability to move without the ball, to break away from his defender and cut to the rim or pull up for a mid-range jumper.

Still, Posey indicated he wants a chance, and the two have a history.

Posey got ejected for a hard foul on Deng when Miami lost by six at Chicago on Dec. 27. Deng was 2-for-10 with eight points in that game, and he didn't fare much better in the other three. A guy who scored in double digits 78 times during a breakout season had another eight-point effort against the Heat and scored 12 against them twice.

Deng looked like a different player Saturday.

He made a total of 12 and never attempted more than 14 in a game against the Heat during the regular season, yet he hit a layup in the opening seconds and finished 14-for-22.

"I didn't play well against them in the regular season, and my thoughts were I just have to be aggressive at the start of the game,'' Deng said.

The Heat had no counter.

Shaquille O'Neal dominated early before fouling out, and Wade delivered late. Otherwise, it was a rough afternoon for both superstars.

Knee and shoulder problems limited Wade on both ends of the court. Although he carried the Heat late in the game, scoring nine of his 21 points in the fourth, Wade was 3-for-10 through three quarters and could not shake Chicago's Thabo Sefolosha.

"I'm not the D-Wade I used to be right now,'' Wade said. "My quickness is not there. So I'm trying to be smarter and use my mind more than my body.''

Things went awry for O'Neal after scoring 10 of his 19 points in the first quarter. The fouls started to mount, he accused the Bulls of flopping and said referee Eddie F. Rush "derailed'' him.

The odds Wade and O'Neal get into foul trouble again are slim, and coach Scott Skiles realizes the Bulls have to do a better job against the big man early. Ben Wallace did his best to contain O'Neal, but others were slow to rotate.

"Any great player, you never want them feeling good about themselves early in a game,'' Skiles said. "A guy settles into a rhythm and then you have your hands full.''

On the other end, Deng quickly settled into one.

After averaging 18.8 points and shooting 51.7 percent during the regular season, he finally broke through against the Heat.

To Riley, it was no surprise. He thought Deng should've been an All-Star.

"I thought he was almost head and shoulders above a lot of the threes in our conference as an All-Star, save for maybe Caron Butler and somebody else like that,'' Riley said. "He had a great year. He plays like that every single night.''

Copyright 2006 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

bullssmilie1.jpg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Apr 24 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #2

Bench

Group: Members
Member No.: 392

Let's go bullies. Got a good feeling about ben gordon and kirk hinrich tonight. A 2-0 lead on the defending champ sounds mighty nice to me!

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Apr 24 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #3

I'm fresh.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 24 2007, 10:54 AM) *
Let's go bullies. Got a good feeling about ben gordon and kirk hinrich tonight. A 2-0 lead on the defending champ sounds mighty nice to me!

That sounds incredibly good. I, too, feel like BG is going to go off. I don't know how I feel about Kirk, but Gordon is scoring 35 tonight in a close victory.

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Apr 24 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Bench

Son of a B! i just found out i have to cover a baseball game tonight. This game better go by fast so i can see the second half!

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Apr 24 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 21

I'd love to see someone lay out James Posey.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Apr 24 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #6

6th Man

Member No.: 10

Lets go bulls.

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Apr 24 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Bench

hey if the bulls pull this one off, we all know what will follow:

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Apr 24 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #8

I'm fresh.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 24 2007, 03:50 PM) *
hey if the bulls pull this one off, we all know what will follow:

SEXY PARTIES! bang.gif

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Apr 24 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #9

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

I predict Kirk and TT to be very effective tonight.

If we go to miami up 2-0 and had new difference makers in each game, miami will not know who they need to worry about more

+Quote Post
truthandbasketba...
post Apr 24 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #10

6th Man

Member No.: 256

Lets keep the pressure on tonight with another big W!!!! bullssmilie1.jpg bringit.gif bullssmilie1.jpg bringit.gif bullssmilie1.jpg bringit.gif bullssmilie1.jpg bringit.gif bullssmilie1.jpg bringit.gif

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Apr 24 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #11

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

Hey don't forget to get you're playoff picks to click in. If you missed the first game, don't worry about it, you are still tied with 90% of the people who are playing!

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Apr 24 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #12

6th Man

Member No.: 214

I have a feeling were gonna get murdered by the refs this game

Man do I hate Shaq

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Apr 24 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #13

6th Man

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 24 2007, 07:09 PM) *
I have a feeling were gonna get murdered by the refs this game

After that horseshit call on Wallace. We are pretty much gonna get fished.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Apr 24 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #14

6th Man

Member No.: 214

There we go. Shaq is gonna try to be a bully down low tonight

It seems Miamis strategy was to get to Shaq down low and hope they get every call because of their bitching.

Traveling

How many damned shots has Shaq taken so far

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Apr 24 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #15

6th Man

Member No.: 61

This is getting goddamn ridiculous with these fouls.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:22 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home