Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kobe Stands To His Word, Meets w/Buss in Spain
Chisoxfn
post Jun 16 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

He did not back down on his trade reports. An article in Press Enterprise indicated the Lakers are looking for this: One report had the Lakers hoping to acquire Bulls center Ben Wallace, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and Chicago's No. 1 draft pick (9) for Bryant.

However, it also said that the entire league knows that the Lakers are going to try to gut any team that gets Kobe and Kobe does have the ability to put a gun to the Lakers head (as Kobe has apparently given the Lakers a list of three teams, two of which are the Bulls and Knicks).

Here is the article:
Disgruntled Lakers guard Kobe Bryant met with Lakers owner Jerry Buss on Friday in Barcelona, Spain, and reiterated his demand to be traded, two league sources said.

Buss was shocked by Bryant's continued and defiant stance, the sources said, and left the meeting unsure if he would give in to Bryant's demands or if he would keep the All-Star, knowing it'll be "impossible" to get equal value in return.

The Lakers confirmed Friday night that Bryant and Buss did meet. Bryant was in Barcelona on vacation, and Buss was on vacation in China before going to London and then to Barcelona.

"Our position is that it's a private meeting between the two of them and it shall remain private between the two of them," Lakers public relations director John Black said Friday night in a phone interview.

Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, didn't return messages.

Bryant began his campaign to force a trade almost three weeks ago by venting in a barrage of interviews on radio stations and in newspapers.

His last public comments had him wanting to be traded, rescinding those demands and then still wanting to be traded, all coming on the same day.

Bryant is the only NBA player with a no-trade clause in his contract. He had said he would waive that clause. But he could make a trade more difficult because he has a three-team wish list, the sources said. Two of the teams are the Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks.

One report had the Lakers hoping to acquire Bulls center Ben Wallace, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and Chicago's No. 1 draft pick (9) for Bryant.

But the sources said every team, including the Bulls, knows the Lakers will try to "gut" a team in order to get as much value as possible for Bryant.

Bryant could also veto a trade if he thinks the team has to give up too many players, which, the sources said, could also make a trade more difficult.

For a team to acquire Bryant, it cannot swap one or more players exceeding 125 percent of his $19,490,625 million salary he'll earn this season.

Bryant has a 15-percent trade kicker in his contract the team that acquires him has to pick up for $13,289,062 million that would be amortized over the last four years of his contract.

Bryant has an "early termination option" in his contract which allows him to opt out after the 2009 season, meaning he could leave the Lakers without the team getting any compensation.

He has four years and $88,593,750 million left on his contract.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jun 16 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

That's way too much to give up for Kobe. I think the Lakers would make that trade in a heartbeat b/c then they'd have

Farmar
Gordon
Deng
Odom
Wallace
+#9 pick

I think the Bulls are trading Wallace, they should only have to give up Wallace, Nocioni, and either Gordon or Deng and maybe some future picks but not the first rounder. If we are going to trade Gordon and Deng, we have to get Kobe and Bynum back in return and even then we shouldn't have to trade this year's pick.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Jun 16 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Bench

Member No.: 163

Kobe will not be a Bull. The Lakers are going to ask for the whole team and Pax won't do that. The only way i see Kobe coming to Chicago is if Kobe backs LA into the wall and I don't think that will happen.

Expect Kobe to go to a team that can return an all-star calliber player like Jermain O'neal or Gilbert Arenas. The Bulls have a lot of younger talent but we would have to give up most of it to get Kobe.

+Quote Post
Iguana
post Jun 16 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 91

That would be horrible. plus, if they traded Wallace, they'd have no one at C. and if they include the pick? not bloody likey. making this trade would put the bulls back to a 15 win team.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jun 16 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 16 2007, 02:03 PM) *
An article in Press Enterprise indicated the Lakers are looking for this: One report had the Lakers hoping to acquire Bulls center Ben Wallace, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and Chicago's No. 1 draft pick (9) for Bryant.

BWWWHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA....Geez-us....anything else? Maybe the Jordan statue?...rights to Chicago-style pizza...and the Shed Aquarium? I really don't want Kobe. Let's rework the whole team so we have guys standing around watching Kobe....great idea. No thanks. I'll buy into a team concept instead of having Mr Superstar Rapist.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 16 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #6

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Wow, the Lakers are crazy if they think they could get that in return. That would leave the Bulls with the fantastic lineup of:
PG- Hinrich
SG- Kobe
SF- Noc
PF- Tyrus
C- PJ Brown?

Actually, funny enough, we could probably make the playoffs with that team since we're in the East, but we wouldn't make it past the 1st round.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jun 16 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

BWWWHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA....Geez-us....anything else? Maybe the Jordan statue?...rights to Chicago-style pizza...and the Shed Aquarium?
lolhitting.gif

same way i feel, giving up way too much to get ONE player, the trade scanerio i heard was deng, BG, Duhon, and noce or p.j. that would be giving away the core of our team paxon built the past 4 years. if it did happen it would put the bulls right back where they started....exiting the playoffs in the first round, because after the trade kobe will have the same thing he had in LA with no help around him. we are gaining less scoring than we would be giving away, i just dont see any point in the trade. YES kobe is a great player, but not to the point where you guve up your whole team to get him, and if you have kobe and kirk, who will they be feeding the ball into the post to score?? its not going to be wallace.

+Quote Post
rangercal
post Jun 17 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #8

Bench

Member No.: 7

from an LA fan on real gm
Best Scenario:
Ben Wallace
Luol Deng
2007 no.9

Good
Ben Wallace
Ben Gorden
2007 no. 9

Worst
Ben Wallace
Cris Duhon
2007 no.9

Let's just say all 3 scenerios would look great for us.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 17 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #9

Starter

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 17 2007, 01:18 AM) *

Best Scenario:
Ben Wallace
Luol Deng
2007 no.9

Good
Ben Wallace
Ben Gorden
2007 no. 9

Worst
Ben Wallace
Cris Duhon
2007 no.9

Considering I have no idea who those 2 players are, I'd give 'em both up if we got Kobe... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jun 17 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #10

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 17 2007, 01:29 AM) *

Considering I have no idea who those 2 players are, I'd give 'em both up if we got Kobe... tongue.gif

Seriously. I can't believe you said that. Duhon I can expect but with Gordon don't give me that spiff.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jun 17 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #11

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jun 17 2007, 03:00 AM) *
Seriously. I can't believe you said that. Duhon I can expect but with Gordon don't give me that spiff.

I think he got it after he posted that you said that b/c the spellings were wrong. No harm intended.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jun 17 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #12

Leading Scorer

http://lakers.realgm.com/articles/116/2007...y_to_kobe_deal/

As much as I hate it, this article makes a lot of sense. I really hate Kobe but I definately see how the Lakers would eat up the chance of getting Yi. Yi is the type of player that would fill their stadium for years. Yi, Gordon, Nocioni and some other fillers (one of which they said was Thabo, but I'd hate for that to be the case) would be traded in return for Kobe and the Lakers 19th pick so that the Bulls could draft a PF big man.

If it were Yi, Gordon and Nocioni I think that would be pretty fair. However, if you also have to throw in Thabo I think that would be too much. Maybe Duhon but not Thabo.

Either way, if we get Yi, I'd rather just keep Yi and the team we have than bring in Kobe, who probably would win us a title, but is the most selfish player in the NBA.

Which lineup would be better for the future?

Hinrich/Duhon
Kobe/?
Deng
Tyrus/19th pick
Wallace

or

Hinrich/Sefolosha/(whatever we get for Duhon)
Gordon/Sefolosha
Deng/(Nocioni or whatever we get for him)/(Khryapa or whatever we get for him)
Yi/Tyrus
Wallace

I personally like option 2. Everyone on that lineup except for Wallace is young. Kobe is turning 29. That gives him a good 4-5 years left. 3 of which will probably be at the level he was at last year. After that he starts going downhill.

Gordon is 24
Deng is 22
Hinrich is 26 (27 in Jan)
Thabo is 23
Yi is 21-24
Tyrus is turning 21
Nocioni is turning 28 (he's probably not in our future plans)

I would rather have a scenario where aour future core which those players above would be, all can play for another 8-12 years together. We really could start a dynasty. The only thing we'd be missing is a true center. However, I'm sure we could find on in the 2nd round or in a future round. Or by trading Nocioni & Duhon we probably could get a decent serviceable big man to replace Wallace once he's gone.

I know $ is going to be an issue. That's why we probably won't be able to keep Nocioni. However, we should have enough to pay Tyrus once Wallace's contract comes of the book. And by the time Yi is a free agent, Hinrich's deal will be over and Deng and Gordon's will likely be in their final year. It will be hard to get done but I'm sure they'll take championships over an extra million dollars. Not to mention the fact that to Jerry wouldn't mind going over the cap to keep this group together. Especially when Yi is bringing in several million more per year to the team in terms of marketing, jersey sales, ect.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 17 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #13

Starter

Damn, Steve. I was poking fun at the fact that their names were misspelled.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jun 17 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Superstar

Member No.: 12

Relax killer. He was joking around because of the spelling.

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 17 2007, 01:06 PM) *
http://lakers.realgm.com/articles/116/2007...y_to_kobe_deal/

As much as I hate it, this article makes a lot of sense. I really hate Kobe but I definately see how the Lakers would eat up the chance of getting Yi. Yi is the type of player that would fill their stadium for years. Yi, Gordon, Nocioni and some other fillers (one of which they said was Thabo, but I'd hate for that to be the case) would be traded in return for Kobe and the Lakers 19th pick so that the Bulls could draft a PF big man.

If it were Yi, Gordon and Nocioni I think that would be pretty fair. However, if you also have to throw in Thabo I think that would be too much. Maybe Duhon but not Thabo.

Either way, if we get Yi, I'd rather just keep Yi and the team we have than bring in Kobe, who probably would win us a title, but is the most selfish player in the NBA.

Which lineup would be better for the future?

Hinrich/Duhon
Kobe/?
Deng
Tyrus/19th pick
Wallace

or

Hinrich/Sefolosha/(whatever we get for Duhon)
Gordon/Sefolosha
Deng/(Nocioni or whatever we get for him)/(Khryapa or whatever we get for him)
Yi/Tyrus
Wallace

I personally like option 2. Everyone on that lineup except for Wallace is young. Kobe is turning 29. That gives him a good 4-5 years left. 3 of which will probably be at the level he was at last year. After that he starts going downhill.

Gordon is 24
Deng is 22
Hinrich is 26 (27 in Jan)
Thabo is 23
Yi is 21-24
Tyrus is turning 21
Nocioni is turning 28 (he's probably not in our future plans)

I would rather have a scenario where aour future core which those players above would be, all can play for another 8-12 years together. We really could start a dynasty. The only thing we'd be missing is a true center. However, I'm sure we could find on in the 2nd round or in a future round. Or by trading Nocioni & Duhon we probably could get a decent serviceable big man to replace Wallace once he's gone.

I know $ is going to be an issue. That's why we probably won't be able to keep Nocioni. However, we should have enough to pay Tyrus once Wallace's contract comes of the book. And by the time Yi is a free agent, Hinrich's deal will be over and Deng and Gordon's will likely be in their final year. It will be hard to get done but I'm sure they'll take championships over an extra million dollars. Not to mention the fact that to Jerry wouldn't mind going over the cap to keep this group together. Especially when Yi is bringing in several million more per year to the team in terms of marketing, jersey sales, ect.

Well, isn't the point of bringing him to Chicago to win the title? You'd rather have Yi Jianlian...an unknown commodity, rather than an NBA title and Kobe Bryant??? I understand your point that this could be a potential dynasty, but if we have a bunch of really good players, we won't be able to re-sign all of them and keep them together that long.

The proposed trade in the article is Gordon, Nocioni, Thabo, and the 9th pick for Bryant and the 19th pick. I would do that trade in an instant. Any deal for Kobe in which we keep Deng AND Wallace is a winner. WIth the 19th pick, you can draft any of a slew of big guards or PF/C's.

Guys who could be there at 19 include Stuckey, Byars, Young, Fernandez, Belinelli, and Afflalo who are all pretty big guards. If you want to go frontcourt, you could possibly get Splitter, McRoberts, Smith, or Gasol.

Hinrich/Duhon
Bryant/pick/Griffin
Deng/pick/Khryapa
Thomas/Brown?/pick
Wallace/FA?

I think best case scenario is Gordon, Noc, Duhon for Kobe. Or Gordon, Noc, Duhon, and the 9th for Kobe and the 19th.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 17 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #15

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 17 2007, 03:43 PM) *
I think best case scenario is Gordon, Noc, Duhon for Kobe. Or Gordon, Noc, Duhon, and the 9th for Kobe and the 19th.

They'd have to get REALLY desperate to do that. I mean look at what the initial post is suggesting what they want. I could see it dropping a bit, but going from 3 of our starters and the #9 pick to one starter and no pick is a hell of a drop...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:34 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home