> hinrich out as long as 12 weeks, torn ligament in thumb
DutheDoduhon21
post Nov 8 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

ouch.
Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich was examined on Saturday by Dr. John Fernandez, and Bulls team physician, Dr. Brian Cole, both of Rush University Medical Center. The results of that exam confirmed the earlier MRI which showed a torn ulnar collateral ligament of his right thumb. The injury will require surgery, which will be performed on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Rush.

Hinrich may be out as long as 12 weeks following his surgery. The injury occurred in the third quarter of last evening’s Bulls win over Phoenix. On the year, Hinrich has appeared in six games and averaged 8.3 ppg, 4.0 apg, 1.8 rpg and 1.33 spg in 24.5 mpg.

In his sixth season with the Bulls, Hinrich has appeared in 389 regular season games with the Bulls, and missed just 21 games during that span. Chicago’s first round pick (seventh overall) in NBA Draft 2003, he owns career averages of 14.3 ppg, 6.3 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.30 spg and 35.0 mpg.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daa84
post Nov 8 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #2

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 1,906

thats not good....suddenly the backcourt depth for the next 2 weeks is actually shallow....i guess sefalosha goes back to starting...

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Nov 8 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 10

wtf how the hell did this happen... go figure man, i draft him on both my teams and a random injury like this? wtf

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Nov 8 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

Well...the good news is, this makes the "Small lineup" almost impossible to run.

+Quote Post
MB33
post Nov 8 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 477

sucks for hinrich hope the surgery goes well.As for our guards means more time for them thabo and bg!

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Nov 8 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #6

6th Man

Member No.: 61

Well that sucks. So who's the backup PG? Thabo's terrbible. BG can't dribble.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Nov 8 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

heres more from espn
CHICAGO -- Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb and will miss up to three months.

Hinrich was hurt Friday night in Chicago's 100-83 victory over Phoenix.

"I'm frustrated," Hinrich said Saturday. "I worked hard in the offseason. I'm still trying to figure out how long 12 weeks is going to be and, really, what I'm going to do with myself."

Hinrich, making his first start, was injured in the third quarter trying to knock the ball away from Amare Stoudemire. The guard initially thought he hyperextended the thumb but realized it was more serious as the swelling mounted.

Even so, he didn't expect this diagnosis.

The Bulls initially called it a sprain, but an exam before Saturday night's game against Cleveland revealed a torn ulnar collateral ligament.

"I was going home last night thinking maybe in a couple days I'd be feeling better," Hinrich said. "I was kinda shocked that I find out today I had torn a ligament."

It's the first major injury for Hinrich, who said he has never had surgery. The operation is scheduled for Tuesday.

"It's tough to swallow," coach Vinny Del Negro said before the Bulls played Cleveland. "I feel bad for him. Without question, it affects the team."

The injury creates a leadership void and leaves the Bulls without a reliable backup point guard behind No. 1 draft pick Derrick Rose.

"We're going to be real careful," general manager John Paxson said. "We're looking at the [luxury] tax number. We've already talked about some things. I'm going to sit down [Sunday] and take a look at the available people out there [and] how does it work with us in the tax line."

In his sixth season, Hinrich was averaging 8.3 points and 4.0 assists in mostly a backup role now that Rose is in the fold. The Bulls went with Thabo Sefolosha at shooting guard the first five games but he struggled, so Del Negro started Hinrich with Rose against the Suns.

On Saturday, Ben Gordon started at shooting guard and the Bulls might stick with him for at least a few games. When they drafted Rose, they envisioned him penetrating and passing out to an open Gordon on the perimeter, and they figure to get more time together now that Hinrich is hurt.

But who will back up Rose?

Larry Hughes is expected to participate in contact drills this week and will add depth to the backcourt once he returns after dislocating his right shoulder in the preseason, but he's not a point guard. Ballhandling is not a strength of Gordon or Sefolosha.

"We know Derrick's going to play those 35 to 40 minutes a night," general manager John Paxson said. "It's those other minutes that you get a little bit concerned about."

Besides Hinrich, forward Drew Gooden sat out with a sprained right ankle. He is day to day

sounds like they are going to try and sign someone or possibly make a trade for a backup PG. the injury really hurts the team. not only did we lose a big part of the team, but leadership too. i feel bad for kirk, at least he will be able to spend more time with his baby though.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Nov 8 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Nov 8 2008, 04:07 PM) *
Well...the good news is, this makes the "Small lineup" almost impossible to run.

or...um...not.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Nov 10 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #9

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

I definitely think losing Hinrich will hurt this team more than most probably think it will... But, the positive out of this is that it'll let us see exactly what a potential Rose-Gordon backcourt can do in extended time.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Nov 10 2008, 05:43 AM
Post #10

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

I wonder if there is any chance that this is a preexisting injury that just got exacerbated against the suns... if that was the case, maybe this surgery will lead to the return of the awesome defense/decent offense Kirk we used to know and love.\

I don't like the idea of grabbing someone off the scrap heap. Just lean a little heavier on Thabo, maybe even play a little Nocioni at the 2 and wait for Hughes to come back in a week or so.

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Nov 10 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 64

How about they have a big lineup instead and play Loul at the 1. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Nov 10 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #12

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

fish him.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Nov 10 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #13

Superstar

Member No.: 73

Wish him well but this is sort of a blessing in disguise if you ask me.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Nov 15 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Nov 8 2008, 09:58 PM) *
sounds like they are going to try and sign someone or possibly make a trade for a backup PG. the injury really hurts the team. not only did we lose a big part of the team, but leadership too. i feel bad for kirk, at least he will be able to spend more time with his baby though.

Leadership? Please. Kirk never was a leader even though Skiles handed him the keys to the city. Kirk can't even lead the 2nd unit. Rose is the leader and Kirk is the follower. His injury was a blessing b/c now we are playing BG the kind of minutes he deserves.

I'm not upset that Kirk got injured. I'm upset that his injury will delay his being traded from the team or will prevent those in need of a PG to look for other options in a trade. We'll probably lose any opportunity to trade for someone like Harrington. I hope I am wrong but we need to trade Kirk before the trade deadline.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Nov 15 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #15

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I said Kirk needed to go the minute we got Rose, but come on, Harrington is not the answer. We've already got two jump-shooting SF's eating up a good chunk of our cap total.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:38 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home