Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Josh Childress To Play in Europe, ODD
Chisoxfn
post Jul 22 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

A source told BasketGround that Josh Childress accepted a three year deal with Olympiacos in the afternoon. As reported, the Reds will pay more that any offer Childress could receive from an NBA franchise

I would never have expected this one. Very interesting. Childress is a real good player. Its one thing when a guy like Nachbar (whose not from the US) goes back to the Euro leagues (although he had a clause in his contract allowing a return to the NBA) but Childress...WOW.

I know if the Bulls lost Deng I'd be all about picking up Childress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 22 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 43

That is extremely weird, it seemed like there was a fair amount of interest in him. That must have been a pretty sizeable contract offer.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 22 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Member No.: 12

When the Euro is greater than the dollar and the NBA having a salary cap...you're going to see a lot more of this. Brezec, Jennings, now Childress. There were rumors Anthony Parker might be going back too.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 22 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 22 2008, 12:10 PM) *
When the Euro is greater than the dollar and the NBA having a salary cap...you're going to see a lot more of this. Brezec, Jennings, now Childress. There were rumors Anthony Parker might be going back too.

Jennings is a different case. He went to Europe because he wasn't able to meet the requirements to play at the University of Arizona. He's just going to play one season overseas as opposed to in the Dleague and than enter the draft (since he can't enter until he's a year removed from high school).

This is the first American born pro who could sign a pretty hefty contract in the states that left for Europe. The other playres (Brezec/Nacbar) were Euro born players going back which is less of a shock, imo.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 22 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22 2008, 03:57 PM) *
Jennings is a different case. He went to Europe because he wasn't able to meet the requirements to play at the University of Arizona. He's just going to play one season overseas as opposed to in the Dleague and than enter the draft (since he can't enter until he's a year removed from high school).

This is the first American born pro who could sign a pretty hefty contract in the states that left for Europe. The other playres (Brezec/Nacbar) were Euro born players going back which is less of a shock, imo.

Well, even in the case of Brezec and Nachbar, they were coveted by teams in the NBA and chose to go back to Europe. Childress falls under that same category.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 22 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Wow, I really would have never seen this coming. I'm very curious to find out what kind of money he's getting 'cause this has never happened before (I agree with Jason, I don't count European players leaving the NBA as a similar situation - this is the 1st time an American player has turned down a multi-million dollar deal to play overseas).

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 23 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #7

Skills Competitor

Member No.: 52

3yr/20mil

some teams might have thought about matching... but not having to pay taxes probably pushes it over the top.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 27 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Superstar

Delonte West could be headed to Russia...

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jul 27 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27 2008, 01:02 AM) *
Delonte West could be headed to Russia...

d-west is one of my favorite players to watch i hope not. the cavs really like him hopefully they can agree on a deal. its crazy that some of these guys would consider leaving the nba.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 27 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

LOL, Nobody wants to play in the NBA anymore! How sad!

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 27 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 27 2008, 03:39 PM) *
d-west is one of my favorite players to watch i hope not. the cavs really like him hopefully they can agree on a deal. its crazy that some of these guys would consider leaving the nba.

It's not very crazy at all. Some of them would be go-to-guys and absolutely studly playing on some of these Euro teams, and they'd be making a lot more money.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 27 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Skills Competitor

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27 2008, 08:51 PM) *
It's not very crazy at all. Some of them would be go-to-guys and absolutely studly playing on some of these Euro teams, and they'd be making a lot more money.

No chance for endorsements and much much less fans. This is just Delonte's agent trying to get a better deal.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 27 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #13

All-Star

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 27 2008, 10:03 PM) *
No chance for endorsements and much much less fans. This is just Delonte's agent trying to get a better deal.

How many endorsements is someone like Delonte West going to get anyways? It's not like Nike is knocking down his door ready to give him $20 mil. How often do you even see someone like Kirk Hinrich or Ben Gordon, guys that are better and have more name recognition, in a major commercial that's not for the Bulls? Certainly not enough to make up a difference of several million dollars. He can probably do BETTER in Europe, European focused companies aren't going to be able to pay to get people like Lebron or Kobe and could easily opt for a much more reasonable option with the star (at least the assumed star) of the local team.

This could be an interesting trend. European teams aren't limited by the CBA or salary cap and the Euro is very strong. The true stars aren't going anywhere, but they're going to be able to outbid the NBA for role players and fringe starters pretty regularly. Not everyone is going to want to do it, but if your choice is a mid-level exemption type deal or 7 million Euros (which is quite a bit more with the exchange rate), Europe suddenly becomes pretty attractive.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 27 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #14

Skills Competitor

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 27 2008, 10:59 PM) *
How many endorsements is someone like Delonte West going to get anyways? It's not like Nike is knocking down his door ready to give him $20 mil. How often do you even see someone like Kirk Hinrich or Ben Gordon, guys that are better and have more name recognition, in a major commercial that's not for the Bulls? Certainly not enough to make up a difference of several million dollars. He can probably do BETTER in Europe, European focused companies aren't going to be able to pay to get people like Lebron or Kobe and could easily opt for a much more reasonable option with the star (at least the assumed star) of the local team.

This could be an interesting trend. European teams aren't limited by the CBA or salary cap and the Euro is very strong. The true stars aren't going anywhere, but they're going to be able to outbid the NBA for role players and fringe starters pretty regularly. Not everyone is going to want to do it, but if your choice is a mid-level exemption type deal or 7 million Euros (which is quite a bit more with the exchange rate), Europe suddenly becomes pretty attractive.

He shares the court with Lebon James, I bet he gets more than you think.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 28 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #15

All-Star

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 28 2008, 12:13 AM) *
He shares the court with Lebon James, I bet he gets more than you think.

I seriously doubt that. No one is paying Delonte West 7-figures (or probably even mid to high 6 figures) to endorse anything. Granted I'm not in Cleveland, but I sure as hell haven't seen him on anything, and national deals are where you actually get paid. Considering the rumored offer is "only" 2 years at 10 mil he wouldn't even be pretending to consider it if he made anything from endorsements, considering he made almost $2 mil last year and figures to get a slight raise.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:08 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home