madisonsmadhouse
post Oct 11 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

Yeah this really ought to speed up the games... rolleyes.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2620756

The NBA might have given its players something to complain about this season -- something other than the new basketball.

In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

Stein: No Sympathy
Don't expect open-mindedness from NBA commissioner David Stern if players follow Rasheed Wallace's lead and decry the NBA's determination to clean up post-whistle barking at referees.
Marc Stein has analysis in his blog, which is available by clicking here.

Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.

Rasheed Wallace, for one, told the Detroit News he took the league's crackdown personally.

"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

The league's fine system, which was introduced last season, includes a $1,000 fine for each of the first five, $1,500 for the next five, $2,000 for the next five, $2,500 for the ones that follow, and, in addition, a one-game suspension for every other technical after the 15th.

"What happens if I am one of the captains?" Wallace asked the News. "Does that mean I can't talk to them? You can't talk back to them like they're your mom and dad. It's like they're saying, 'If you say something to me I am going to put you on punishment.' That's how it is. I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."

Wallace was issued 16 technical fouls last season and a one-game suspension. It's reasonable to think, if referees consistently show zero tolerance, he could double that total.

"It'll be an adjustment for everybody in the league," the Heat's Dwyane Wade told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Heat coach Pat Riley believes players will still be able to express their opinions to officials, but will have to police their body language and tone of voice.

"They are going to be very conscious of player complaining," Riley said last week. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the officials. They're just telling them to cut it out."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whitesoxfan101
post Oct 11 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #2

10 Day Contract

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Kirk got a T tonight in an obvious example of the new rule. I personally like this rule, assuming they enforce it. The whining in the league has been awful the last few years.

+Quote Post
Goldmember
post Oct 11 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #3

12th Man

Member No.: 20

completely agree. good rule. a lot of players are now going to have to break this bad habit...

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Oct 12 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

A little off topic... Any thoughts on whether the NBA should adapt the college rule and count technical fouls towards a players six personal fouls?

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Oct 12 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11 2006, 09:56 PM) *
The whining in the league has been awful the last few years.

And the officiating hasn't?!?

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Oct 12 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 12 2006, 07:26 PM) *
And the officiating hasn't?!?

very good point.

+Quote Post
whitesoxfan101
post Oct 12 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #7

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12 2006, 07:42 AM) *
A little off topic... Any thoughts on whether the NBA should adapt the college rule and count technical fouls towards a players six personal fouls?

It would be a great way to bring down arguing and techincal fouls, I actually think they should do it. As for the refs, they've ALWAYS been awful, so that's different. smile.gif

+Quote Post
soxfan101
post Oct 14 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #8

Bench

Member No.: 56

It seems in the college game the refs are a lot less whistle happy.... I wish the NBA could be more like that.

+Quote Post
RME JICO
post Oct 16 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 14

There has definitely been an increase in complaining/whining, but when you are in the middle of a tight game with emotions and adrenaline pumping, it is hard not to show negative emotions about something.

I can see if you start jaw-jacking at the refs but throw your hands up? That seems somewhat excessive.

The only good thing is players like "Sheed" Wallace will be out of the game by halftime because that is all he does is complain.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:24 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home