Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Melo for Noah, Is It Worth It?
truthandbasketba...
post Sep 9 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #1

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 256

"The Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony and are discussing internally including Joakim Noah as part of the deal, according to a league source.

According to the source, the Nuggets are hesitant to take back Luol Deng as part of a deal with the Bulls because Denver is leery of taking on long-term contracts with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire on June 30, 2011. Deng is two years into a six-year, $71 million contract.

Noah will make $3.1 million this season in the fourth year of his rookie deal. He would become a restricted free agent next season unless the Bulls extend his contract.

Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday that an NBA source with knowledge of Anthony's wishes told him Anthony still hopes to convince Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri to trade him, and he prefers a move to the New York Knicks or Bulls.

The Nuggets offered Anthony a three-year, $65 million extension through 2014, but if he rejects it, the team will have to consider trading the forward who has guided them to seven straight playoff berths.

"I think I'm going to convince him to be a Nugget," Ujiri said on Aug. 31. "No, I don't know, I can't make a judgment on that. Like I said, it's a process and until he tells me that ... we want him back, the city wants him back, ownership wants him back."

Anthony has never come out and said he wanted to be traded, however.

At his basketball camp this summer, Anthony dismissed all the speculation of his impending departure from Denver: "I've been hearing that for five years. I'm a Denver Nugget. I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets. I don't become a free agent until next year, if I decide not to take that extension."

Anthony, 26, has averaged 24.7 points per game in his career, including 28.2 last season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5550421
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rockren
post Sep 9 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #2

6th Man

Member No.: 1,947

I believe Melo to be a legit talent who you can build a championship contender around.

With that being said- the Bulls can't include Noah in a trade because we won't have a Center. If we have any chance at beating the Heat (which already a long shot) we HAVE to out rebound them. With Noah and Boozer, we'll out rebound them. Subtract Noah and add Melo...we don't have a better chance at beating the Heat.

Deng, Taj, JJ and multiple 1st Rounders is as good of an offer as the Nuggets will get for Melo and they know it. Sure the Nuggets could heist a team like New Jersey and bring back Lopez and other players, but then Melo would be on a team of nothing in where he would NEVER agree to an extension with that team.

The Bulls are the best deal in town for the Nuggets and Melo w/o Noah being involved.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Sep 9 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

I would do Noah and Deng for Melo as long as I got to hold onto Taj, Asik, JJ, and Boozer. We'd be somewhat undersized, admittedly, and we could therefore use depth at the C position, but that's a fixable problem when you don't have to worry about scoring from that spot at all thanks to Boozer, Melo, and Rose being on your roster. I'd still take our C spot over the Heat's.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Sep 9 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #4

6th Man

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Sep 9 2010, 04:16 PM) *
I would do Noah and Deng for Melo as long as I got to hold onto Taj, Asik, JJ, and Boozer. We'd be somewhat undersized, admittedly, and we could therefore use depth at the C position, but that's a fixable problem when you don't have to worry about scoring from that spot at all thanks to Boozer, Melo, and Rose being on your roster. I'd still take our C spot over the Heat's.

I would absolutely hate a Deng/Noah trade for Melo if it were to happen tomorrow or before the season. Time is on our side...not Denver's. I'm curious to see what Lou can do with an actual coach who won't just sit him on the perimeter all year long. If things aren't working the way the Bulls want and Melo is still a Nugget at the trade deadline, the Bulls should re-exhaust this deal at the deadline or closer to it.

Any deal involving Noah, the Bullies need to wait.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Sep 9 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (rockren @ Sep 9 2010, 01:23 PM) *
I believe Melo to be a legit talent who you can build a championship contender around.

With that being said- the Bulls can't include Noah in a trade because we won't have a Center. If we have any chance at beating the Heat (which already a long shot) we HAVE to out rebound them. With Noah and Boozer, we'll out rebound them. Subtract Noah and add Melo...we don't have a better chance at beating the Heat.

Deng, Taj, JJ and multiple 1st Rounders is as good of an offer as the Nuggets will get for Melo and they know it. Sure the Nuggets could heist a team like New Jersey and bring back Lopez and other players, but then Melo would be on a team of nothing in where he would NEVER agree to an extension with that team.

The Bulls are the best deal in town for the Nuggets and Melo w/o Noah being involved.

well said. Personall I'd hate to give up Noah.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Sep 10 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Superstar

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 10 2010, 01:37 AM) *
well said. Personall I'd hate to give up Noah.

I'd hate to give him up too...and I wouldn't do it unless a piece like Anthony was coming back.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Sep 10 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #7

Superstar

Stein:
Before you expend too much brain power trying to figure out whether the Bulls would really part with Joakim Noah in a trade for Carmelo Anthony, be advised that the Bulls are actually working on something else Noah-related: Getting him locked in for the long term with a contract extension.

The sides have been negotiating quietly for weeks and sources close to the process say that sufficient progress has been made -- although no deal is imminent -- to all but guarantee that terms on a five-year extension will be reached before the Halloween deadline.

Noah is determined to stay in Chicago, one source assures, while the Bulls continue to send clear signals that they have no interest in parting with their center. Not even for someone of Anthony’s pedigree, as one source told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell.
More talk about why it would be a bad fit at link.

+Quote Post
MB33
post Sep 10 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 477

Noah and Rose are keepers trade deng and others if nuggets want something in return

+Quote Post
truthandbasketba...
post Sep 10 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #9

6th Man

Member No.: 256

Melo combined with Rose, Boozer and our supporting cast is enough to give us a legit shot to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. This deal needs to get done. Of course we dont want to give up Joakim but you cant get something for nothing and this one is just too good to pass up.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Sep 21 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Superstar

Truehoop.com weighing the pros and cons of dealing Noah for Melo.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Sep 22 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 163

RealGM says the Bulls are proposing Deng, Gibson and a first round pick. And Houston is not making Kevin Martin available for Denver. He wants to go New York or Chicago. New York is offering Gallinari OR Randolph but not both. If im Denver im jumping all over the Chicago deal.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Sep 22 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #12

6th Man

There is all of this talk as the Nets being "the front runner" for Melo in offering Favors, expiring contracts in Murphy/Humphries and a 1st Rounder...

I'd be willing to bet George Karl has more pull than Ujiri does at this point in time. The reason I'm saying that- I remember when Karl was in Milwaukee...he wanted noting to do with rookies. He would often advertise their 1st Rounder for sale all of the time. No way he'd want to part with Melo for a 19 year old project and a few expiring contracts. If the Nuggets did that- I could see Karl walking away from Denver as HC.

I believe the Bulls to be in fine position to get Melo for Deng, Taj and a 1st Rounder. The Bulls just need to wait for Denver to come to them. If it doesn't happen- I'm more than excited about our current roster.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Sep 22 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #13

Superstar

QUOTE (rockren @ Sep 22 2010, 05:01 PM) *
There is all of this talk as the Nets being "the front runner" for Melo in offering Favors, expiring contracts in Murphy/Humphries and a 1st Rounder...

Really...between where the Nets potential draft picks would be sitting, Favors, and actual expiring deals (which the Bulls can't offer)...if Anthony was willing to extend with the Nets and that offer was on the table not only could the Bulls not match it, but it'd be done already.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Sep 22 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Superstar

Member No.: 73

It's not worth it if you have to give up Joakim Noah IMO. Melo is a tremendous player and every team would love to have him but if he comes at the cost of Deng, Taj, and Noah, then we will still need quality depth at the 4 spot and a premiere starting 5 center. If we could just do a Melo for Taj + Deng + 1st round pick then I'd jump all over it. If that deal happens and it looks to be where the Bulls are making there stand when it comes to how far will they go, we are title contenders. You could put us right there in the top 3 with LA and Miami.

Rose
Brewer
Melo
Boozer
Noah

That lineup has the perfect setup to win a title. Rose is your young superstar at PG that can make plays normal human beings can't make. Brewer is your shutdown defender. Melo is your obvious #1 scoring threat and a top 5 NBA player that's essential to winning it all. Not only that but he takes alot of the pressure off DRose to do it all. After that, you have an All star PF in Boozer who's going to get you 15 and 10 with Melo taking the bulk of the shots. And of course there's Noah, who is the ultimate role player. he's another double double guy and the #2 rebounder in the league. Idk about you but I'd take that lineup over any other in the league.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Oct 2 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #15

Superstar

Link
* Arturo’s analysis of the current Bulls is reasonable (that doesn’t mean the Bulls are guaranteed 60 wins; only that if everyone stays healthy and maintains what they did in the past, 60 wins is certainly possible).
* Adding Melo – at the cost of Luol Deng and Joakim Noah – would cost the Bulls about 10 wins.

To understand this argument, let’s first consider the Bulls from 2009-10.

The most productive players on the Bulls last season were Deng and Noah. Of the team’s 36.8 Wins Produced, 19.1 – or over half – can be linked to these two players. And Noah didn’t even play 2,000 minutes.

Meanwhile, Anthony – as I noted last August (and many times before that, and also since then) – is overrated. Yes, he can score. But his scoring is primarily due to his willingness to take many shots. He is not a particularly efficient scorer. And he doesn’t help out much with any other facet of the game. Consequently, we should not be surprised that Melo only posted a 0.108 WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes].

As one can see, Deng did more last year. So just trading Deng for Anthony doesn’t help. To throw Noah – the most productive players on the Bulls last year — into the mix makes this trade even worse. And when you consider the Bulls roster, which really doesn’t have a center besides Noah (Kurt Thomas is slated to be the back-up center), then it became clear that trading Noah and Deng for Melo would have been a bad idea.

Again, I think such a trade would cost the Bulls about 10 wins. What is interesting about that scenario is that it means the Bulls might be better with Melo this year than they were last year. Chicago won 41 games in 2009-10. As currently constituted, Arturo (and I) think 60 wins are possible. That means, with Melo (and Carlos Boozer), the Bulls might win 50 games. Would that be enough for people to think Melo helped?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:52 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home