Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 2 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

The NBA responds angrily and appears to have some valid points.

+Quote Post
scatterbrain
post May 3 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #3

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 782

I was watching a segment on it this afternoon on ESPN. It seems like these people just sat in a room and compared stats and box scores. It seems pretty ridiculous.

Chicago Bulls veteran forward P.J. Brown said: "Somebody's got too much time on their hands."

I definitely agree with that. I guess they just want to get something published.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post May 3 2007, 08:27 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 21

As a statistical analysis, my 18 month old baby could put together something that has less holes in it.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 15 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 23

The NBA finally shared their data with the authors of the study. The author claims the NBA's data backs him up. Another, independent analysis conducted on the behest of ESPN also seems to support the "refs support their own race" version of events. Full Story.
An independent analysis of the two conflicting studies requested by ESPN.com confirms Wolfers' findings that referees favor their own race when they blow their whistles. Thomas Miles, who has a Ph. D. in economics from the University of Chicago and is a graduate of Harvard Law School, dissected the massive study completed by Wolfers, and compared it with the smaller study by an NBA consultant.

"I believe [Wolfers] has the better points," said Miles, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School. "His study focused on the interactions of the race of the referee and the race of the player. The NBA was more concerned with the number of fouls called on black players and comparisons with the number of fouls called on white players."

+Quote Post
RME JICO
post May 16 2007, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Bench

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

That's hilarious because if you have more black players you will have more fouls called regardless of the ref. The percentages will even go up. Funny stuff.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:16 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home