IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Head Band Rule, Wallace Feels Singled Out?
ChitownMan
post Nov 26 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 245

I am a little bit surprised that Ben Wallace got benched twice in the game against the Knicks because of Scott Skiles dumb rule of no head bands for the players on this team. From what I remember of watching Ben play all those games in Detroit, his headband was part of the mystique on who Ben is. There are so many players that wear head bands as it is in the NBA and they do not have a stupid rule prohibiting them. I think Skiles is a bit off the deep end here. Especially since there are no statements nor advertising on Ben's head bands like Jim McMahon had during the Bears Superbowl run. Granted I did like that as well. I just think the focus should be on basketball and not something so trivial as a freakin head band. This is basketball not modeling for GQ.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Nov 26 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Superstar

Member No.: 73

How much you wanna bet if Lebron were on the Bulls that rule would be abolished?

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Nov 26 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

yeah i think its a stupid rule, i found this on espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2676104

+Quote Post
Goldmember
post Nov 26 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #4

12th Man

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Nov 26 2006, 09:53 AM) *
How much you wanna bet if Lebron were on the Bulls that rule would be abolished?

everything you have.

am i truly supposed to feel sorry that poor widdle ben wallace and his 60 million dollars aren't allowed to wear a headband??

do i personally care whether or not a player wears a headband? no. i do care however that ben doesn't know how to listen to and obey his coach. this is probably one of the reasons he's been a big, giant sucking noise most nights on the court. if you can't be trusted with the little things, how can you be trusted with the big things?

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Nov 26 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #5

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

Whats wrong with head bands? They keep sweat out of your eyes. Stupid rule. Doesn't give Wallace an excuse for breaking it, though

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Nov 26 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Superstar

QUOTE (Goldmember @ Nov 26 2006, 08:31 PM) *
everything you have.
am i truly supposed to feel sorry that poor widdle ben wallace and his 60 million dollars aren't allowed to wear a headband??

do i personally care whether or not a player wears a headband? no. i do care however that ben doesn't know how to listen to and obey his coach. this is probably one of the reasons he's been a big, giant sucking noise most nights on the court. if you can't be trusted with the little things, how can you be trusted with the big things?

Because its a headband, a FREAKING HEADBAND. Ben Wallace is an adult and adults can make their own decisions. Its an assanine rule if you ask me. Skiles should care more about his teams performance rather than sit a player that has worn a headband all of his life. Let him do what he is most comfortable in doing. It probably gives him pride and it brings his Intinsity something that he hasnt had this season.

+Quote Post
Goldmember
post Nov 26 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #7

12th Man

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Nov 26 2006, 08:47 PM) *
Because its a headband, a FREAKING HEADBAND. Ben Wallace is an adult and adults can make their own decisions. Its an assanine rule if you ask me. Skiles should care more about his teams performance rather than sit a player that has worn a headband all of his life. Let him do what he is most comfortable in doing. It probably gives him pride and it brings his Intinsity something that he hasnt had this season.

you said it best, "its a headband, a FREAKING HEADBAND". so the problem with having to take it off is? ben wallace is an adult who made a decision to keep on "a headband, a FREAKING HEADBAND." decisions have consequences, in this case, riding pine. like i alluded to before, there is more to this than just a headband.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Nov 26 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Superstar

Well its obvious he did this in reference to his 19 min of playing time against the Sixers...

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Nov 27 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #9

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

Let me make a quick comparison.

You used to work at a law firm where there was no uniform codes. You move to a law firm that has a uniform code of formal Mon-Thu and a Casual Friday. If you come to work on Wednesday with jeans and a sweater, you're breaking the rules.

Ben Wallace went to work on Wednesday with jeans and a sweater, he broke the rule. Get over it.

I'm with Goldy on this one. Skiles is the boss, you've got to listen to the boss and obey his rules.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Nov 27 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #10

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 27 2006, 10:50 AM) *
I'm with Goldy on this one. Skiles is the boss, you've got to listen to the boss and obey his rules.

not when your contract is guaranteed.

What's Ben thinking?
Wallace's frustration finally rears its head

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

November 26, 2006, 9:00 PM CST

The frustration behind Ben Wallace's insubordination Saturday night has been brewing since the first week of training camp.

According to league and Bulls sources, Wallace has felt unfairly singled out by team rules that have taken away his pregame music, his headband and his tape-free ankles.

General manager John Paxson is to talk Monday after practice about Wallace's breaking a team rule by wearing a headband in Saturday's victory over the Knicks. However, Wallace is expected to miss practice because he needs an MRI on his right wrist and fingers after injuring them in the second quarter in New York.

Wallace played after the injury, which neither he nor coach Scott Skiles addressed in New York. Paxson hopes similar solidarity will ensue once this public dispute fades.

Sources said Wallace became upset early in training camp when Skiles enforced a team rule to tape ankles. Wallace never taped his ankles when he played for Detroit.

Wallace left practice to get his ankles taped and, unaccustomed to being constricted, had trouble running and sat out most of the practice, the sources said.

Less than a week later, Wallace hooked his MP3 player into a docking station to play music in the locker room before the first home exhibition game. Asked then if he now allowed pregame music inside the locker room, Skiles said he was unaware any was playing.

By the next home exhibition game, Wallace had headphones connected to his MP3 player. The headphones hung from a hook in his locker, with the volume turned up so loudly that music clearly emanated from them throughout the locker room.

Several people within the organization, including players, theorized Wallace was marking his turf for what perhaps was an inevitable clash between two strong-willed men.

Skiles even addressed such a dynamic during a one-on-one interview earlier this season. He talked about minor clashes he'd had with coaches as a player and, at the time, called such give-and-take "healthy."

Skiles acted unconcerned then about a similar scenario happening with Wallace, who hasn't played pregame music loudly since the regular season began. Skiles underscored that calmness late Saturday when he said he isn't concerned this latest issue would have lingering effects.

Still, Skiles considered the issue serious enough to conduct a 25-minute team meeting after Saturday's game to stress unity. Wallace didn't apologize for wearing the headband, according to two people present at the meeting.

Skiles, who gave his team Sunday off, declined to discuss the reasoning behind the Bulls' no-headband rule. It's not uncommon for professional sports franchises to impose such rules.

George Steinbrenner doesn't allow the Yankees to wear facial hair. The Knicks demand players wear suits while traveling. And White Sox and Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who is believed to be behind the no-headband rule, asked catcher A.J. Pierzynski and Joe Crede to get haircuts during last spring training.

What annoyed Wallace, a source close to the player said, is that he wasn't informed of the no-headband rule until after he signed his four-year, $60 million free-agent deal.

Bulls management considers itself to have minimal rules. Most just seem to have rubbed Wallace the wrong way, which could be manifesting itself in his uneven play.

Despite Skiles' consistent public insistence throughout training camp that Wallace's transition has been seamless, the coaching staff is perplexed by his occasionally listless play. That's why Skiles didn't criticize Wallace going one-on-one against Samuel Dalembert on the Bulls' first two offensive possessions Friday night in Philadelphia, leading to two wild misses.

In fact, Wallace might get more touches in an attempt to jump-start his defensive play.

Wallace, who is expected to be fined, still talks regularly to his former teammates in Detroit. His history with coaches there isn't great. He clashed last season with Flip Saunders and had a deteriorating relationship with Rick Carlisle before Larry Brown replaced him.

Less than three weeks after being hired in 2003, Skiles uttered this classic quote in regard to a standoff with Eddie Robinson: "I've never lost a battle of wills in my life. And I don't plan on doing it now."

Wallace, who called himself "stubborn" in the preseason, clearly viewed his decision to wear a headband as payback.

With Wallace signed through 2010 and Skiles through 2009, the task is for these two to find compromise or, at least, some common ground.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Nov 27 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #11

6th Man

Member No.: 214

I do agree that if its a rule Wallace should just follow it and get over it, However, with all the stupid rules the NBA has now if theyre allowed to wear head bands, which do serve a purpose although Im sure players are wearing them as a fashion statement, then you might as well let them.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Nov 27 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #12

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

What exactly was Wallace trying to prove. he knew coming into Chicago that Skiles has a reputation for following the rules for everyone. He is an idiot if he thought this would end any differently.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Nov 27 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #13

Superstar

So in other wards, Wallace regrets signing with the Bulls because they didnt tell him he couldnt wear a headband untill after he signed? Man thats just lame....

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Nov 27 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

wallace needs to get over it, hes getting paid 14 mil a year, and skiles needs to do the same its just a headband.
its also making the bulls look like a joke, the story is all over now. we need to stop worrying about headbands and start winning, right now we are the 3rd worst team in the league.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Nov 27 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #15

Leading Scorer

League and team sources told The Chicago Tribune that Wallace feels singled out by Skiles' rules against pregame music, headbands and Wallace's tape-free ankles.

The situation came to a head on Saturday when Skiles pulled Wallace only 2:02 after tip-off against the New York Knicks because the center broke a team rule prohibiting the wearing of headbands.

A source close to Wallace told The Tribune that the big man is annoyed by the headband rule because he wasn't informed about it until after he signed his four-year, $60 million contract with the Bulls.

Bulls general manager John Paxson is expected to address the situation Monday after the team's practice.

Sources told The Tribune that Wallace became angered early in training camp when Skiles enforced his rule that the team tape their ankles. Wallace never taped his ankles in Detroit and sources told the newspaper that Wallace had trouble running with his ankles taped and sat out most of the practice.

Sources also told The Tribune that Wallace has had run-ins with Skiles over listening to music before games in the locker room.

The latest drama comes on the heels of Wallace going scoreless with no rebounds in only 19 minutes in a loss to the Sixers on Friday night.

Wallace didn't have much to say after Saturday night's game.

"Ask [Skiles]," he said. "Coach makes the decisions. I just play."

Wallace, meanwhile, might not be available for the team's next game on Tuesday night against the Knicks. The Bulls announced Monday that Wallace is day-to-day with a sprain to his right index finger and a contusion of his right wrist.

Information from

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2677154

skiles has some pretty dumb rules, but those were his rules before wallace came, and i i think wallace is the main reason the teams chemistry's hasnt been so great.
A source close to Wallace told The Tribune that the big man is annoyed by the headband rule because he wasn't informed about it until after he signed his four-year, $60 million contract with the Bulls.

so is ben saying he wouldnt have signed with the bulls if he knew he couldnt wear a headband?
lolhitting.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:31 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home