> Drew Gooden to the Bulls?
Da Bulls 88
post Jul 18 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #1

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

Sign-and-Trade in works?

Update: One rumored sign-and-trade involving Gooden has him going to Chicago for power forward Michael Sweetney and point guard Chris Duhon, the Lorain Morning Journal reports.

Recommendation: "It's a possibility we're interested in," agent Calvin Andrews told Chicago reporters. "We haven't talked too much about that happening. It's up to the Cavs. If something would come up with the Bulls, it would interest us, definitely." The talks between Gooden and the Cavs have stalled, making a sign-and-trade a possibility. Cleveland would seek a starting-quality power forward in any deal.

Drew Gooden: Sign-and-Trade in works?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
puckthefistons
post Jul 18 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #2

NBDL

Member No.: 185

I like the 23 yr old Sweetney and Duhon over Gooden who is NOT a Skiles type player.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 18 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

Gooden is as intriguing as wilcox, though he has been a quality producer for longer but probably has a lower ceiling.

The problem with spending a ton of $ on either one remains that we are gonna have at least a decent draft pick in an awesome draft for bigs.

We DO NOT want to spend $60 mil on a guy who belongs on the bench behind whoever we get next year.

ALso, as wilcox looks likely to sign a tender offer for 1yr to become UFA, we can go after him next year after he's had to produce another year if the draft doesnt yield us a prized big.

I would not fault the Bulls for bringing him in, BUT I think PJ and Sweets can score enough to keep teams honest.

I hope paxson's plan looks like this instead of throwing 60 mil at one of those guys:

'06-07: Over 50 wins, make lots of noise in the playoffs, maybe get lucky and make it to the finals, but most importantly take the year to get everyone extensive playoff experience and have the year for everyone to develop A DEFINED ROLE!

'07-08-Add low post scoring threat via draft or FA and resign our guys, be the favorites to come out of the east after adding to a team that already went deep in the playoffs the previous year, we're all business from start of season to finish bc everyone now knows their place.......win a title

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 18 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

I think that story is rehashing a story of a couple days ago where his agent made some comments very similar to the ones in this article.

Either way I hope there is some serious truth to this rumor because it would give the Bulls a player capable of putting the ball in the cylinder from the low post. He'd also be surrounded by a good coach, a good friend (Hinrich) and some very good veterans.

I realize people have questioned him at times, but if the Bulls want to get him all Pax has to do is ask Hinrich. If Hinrich says he works hard, etc than I think we pick him up (if the Cavs are interested in the package).

+Quote Post
Bullies4Life
post Jul 18 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Starter

Member No.: 118

I think the Bulls would be a better team now, and in the future if we add Drew Gooden into the mix instead of having Du, and Sweets. However, how much will Gooden get paid is the question... id love to have him for cheap, but i dont think thats gonna happen....

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 18 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 21

I'd like to see Drew added, if nothing else than for his size.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jul 18 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 61

No thanks to Gooden. I'll give Sweets the nod if what I've been hearing is true about his focus on keeping his weight down and getting in shape. With Ben and PJ manning the boards...I'm content. I just don't see Gooden as that big an upgrade...plus too much $$$.

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post Jul 18 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 65

IMO, Drew Gooden is not the final piece to the puzzle. He looks lathargic at times, his defense is mediocre and we would be overpaying him. We can do better. I would rather go with the guys we have than to bring in a stop gap and be stuck with him for several years. He is not a skiles/pax guy...he is a classic underachiever.

The best thing he would bring is size. I'd rather keep Duhon and Sweets. Plus, if Sweets has lost weight, he could be the low post answer we seek.

+Quote Post
spiderman
post Jul 18 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #9

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jul 18 2006, 05:13 PM) *
I hope paxson's plan looks like this instead of throwing 60 mil at one of those guys:

'06-07: Over 50 wins, make lots of noise in the playoffs, maybe get lucky and make it to the finals, but most importantly take the year to get everyone extensive playoff experience and have the year for everyone to develop A DEFINED ROLE!

'07-08-Add low post scoring threat via draft or FA and resign our guys, be the favorites to come out of the east after adding to a team that already went deep in the playoffs the previous year, we're all business from start of season to finish bc everyone now knows their place.......win a title

I agree with your vision for next year - I think the Bulls are capable of making a nice run in the Eastern Conference Playoffs.

As for adding a low post scoring threat, our best chance is going to be with the Knicks pick next season. I expect the Bulls to flip flop that pick as the Bulls should be in the 20's, and you'd think the Knicks would be in the Top 5 or so again. There is going to be a lot of big time talent in the frontcourt next season.

Also, don't forget that Tyrus Thomas, in hopefully no longer than 2 years, will be a presense down low - maybe in more of the shot blocking, rebounding mold than a dominating offense force, but that is too early to say

With all the money that Hinrich, Gordon (assuming the Bulls decide to keep him long-term), Noce, and Deng will command, we are not going to have the salary cap room to offer more than the mid-level for future seasons, and as we've been seeing with average/below average big men (Chandler, Nene, Dalmebert, etc) getting 10 million plus, we won't be able to afford anything more than a role playing big man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18 2006, 05:31 PM) *
I think that story is rehashing a story of a couple days ago where his agent made some comments very similar to the ones in this article.

Either way I hope there is some serious truth to this rumor because it would give the Bulls a player capable of putting the ball in the cylinder from the low post. He'd also be surrounded by a good coach, a good friend (Hinrich) and some very good veterans.

I realize people have questioned him at times, but if the Bulls want to get him all Pax has to do is ask Hinrich. If Hinrich says he works hard, etc than I think we pick him up (if the Cavs are interested in the package).

I don't think this rumor is anything more than an agent trying to drum up interest in his client. Gooden wants huge money (6 years, 60 million) from Cleveland, and nobody else is/can offer that right now so the only way to get a long-term deal is through the sign and trade.

While I would jump on a Duhon/Sweetney trade without taking the salary cap ramifications into consideration, the fact is, making that trade, and taking on another long-term, big money contract would most likely result in the Bulls having to let one of their younger core players go in the future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18 2006, 06:37 PM) *
I'd like to see Drew added, if nothing else than for his size.

It would be nice if the Bulls could get one more big man to play in a rotation with Ben Wallace and PJ Brown until Tyrus Thomas is ready to contribute. I don't think that's going to happen though, and the more I think about it, I'm somewhat comfortable with it. Michael Sweetney and Malik Allen can play as backups, Thomas can hopefully develop, and be that 3rd guy as the season wears on. If not, at least Sweetney and Allen are at least comfortable in our system, and have had some moments for the Bulls.

QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Jul 18 2006, 09:08 PM) *
IMO, Drew Gooden is not the final piece to the puzzle. He looks lathargic at times, his defense is mediocre and we would be overpaying him. We can do better. I would rather go with the guys we have than to bring in a stop gap and be stuck with him for several years. He is not a skiles/pax guy...he is a classic underachiever.

The best thing he would bring is size. I'd rather keep Duhon and Sweets. Plus, if Sweets has lost weight, he could be the low post answer we seek.

I've always thought that Gooden wouldn't be a good fit for a Skiles team because he's not a really disciplined player - too many times, I've seen Gooden take bad shots from the perimeter, and, as you say, struggle on defense.

As I said above, if there was no salary cap ramifications, I'd probably make the trade for Gooden if it meant giving up only Sweetney and Duhon, but I don't think that's a good move because we'd be committing big money to him instead of a player like Noce or Deng.

Don't get me wrong though - when he's on his game, Gooden is a very good player, but there are too many times that I've seen where his game just is full of mental errors.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 18 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #10

All-Star

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 18 2006, 07:25 PM) *
I agree with your vision for next year - I think the Bulls are capable of making a nice run in the Eastern Conference Playoffs.

As for adding a low post scoring threat, our best chance is going to be with the Knicks pick next season. I expect the Bulls to flip flop that pick as the Bulls should be in the 20's, and you'd think the Knicks would be in the Top 5 or so again. There is going to be a lot of big time talent in the frontcourt next season.

Also, don't forget that Tyrus Thomas, in hopefully no longer than 2 years, will be a presense down low - maybe in more of the shot blocking, rebounding mold than a dominating offense force, but that is too early to say

With all the money that Hinrich, Gordon (assuming the Bulls decide to keep him long-term), Noce, and Deng will command, we are not going to have the salary cap room to offer more than the mid-level for future seasons, and as we've been seeing with average/below average big men (Chandler, Nene, Dalmebert, etc) getting 10 million plus, we won't be able to afford anything more than a role playing big man.
I don't think this rumor is anything more than an agent trying to drum up interest in his client. Gooden wants huge money (6 years, 60 million) from Cleveland, and nobody else is/can offer that right now so the only way to get a long-term deal is through the sign and trade.

While I would jump on a Duhon/Sweetney trade without taking the salary cap ramifications into consideration, the fact is, making that trade, and taking on another long-term, big money contract would most likely result in the Bulls having to let one of their younger core players go in the future.
It would be nice if the Bulls could get one more big man to play in a rotation with Ben Wallace and PJ Brown until Tyrus Thomas is ready to contribute. I don't think that's going to happen though, and the more I think about it, I'm somewhat comfortable with it. Michael Sweetney and Malik Allen can play as backups, Thomas can hopefully develop, and be that 3rd guy as the season wears on. If not, at least Sweetney and Allen are at least comfortable in our system, and have had some moments for the Bulls.
I've always thought that Gooden wouldn't be a good fit for a Skiles team because he's not a really disciplined player - too many times, I've seen Gooden take bad shots from the perimeter, and, as you say, struggle on defense.

As I said above, if there was no salary cap ramifications, I'd probably make the trade for Gooden if it meant giving up only Sweetney and Duhon, but I don't think that's a good move because we'd be committing big money to him instead of a player like Noce or Deng.

Don't get me wrong though - when he's on his game, Gooden is a very good player, but there are too many times that I've seen where his game just is full of mental errors.

Some great posts. I think we are seeing eye to eye on this one. I think Gooden is an obvious questionmark and he may not be the guy that puts us over the top, but I do think if things really worked out and he gelled and played hard he'd be able to give this team a legit low post scorer. However, Whether he's worth the money he'd get thats another story.

And in general I think Spot's scenario for this year and than next year is a good one. Next year if the draft pick is a guy that could really help great, otherwise we'll still likely be in a position where that pick, packaged with a few other guys could get us that final piece. So either way I see the final piece coming around next year which is going to be good because its about when this team will really be ready to step to the next level.

This year if all went right, maybe, but most importantly they need to build confidence, mature, gel, and obviously win a playoff series or two.

By the way, welcome aboard cheers.gif

+Quote Post
hammerhead johns...
post Jul 18 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 18 2006, 08:25 PM) *
but there are too many times that I've seen where his game just is full of mental errors.

It's the story of his life.

Are you from soxtalk? cheers.gif

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 18 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #12

All-Star

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 18 2006, 08:22 PM) *

I think so...at least I know there is a poster named spiderman on ST.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 18 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #13

Superstar

Member No.: 73

Drew Gooden will be a nice addition to our club.. For one year, maybe two. I just cant see him as our future PowerForward that will be playing with us for 8 plus years or so. Guys like Brandon Wright or Greg Oden are guys that will likely be the Future of a team. Therefore I dont want to pay him the money that they're talking. I would take my chances through the draft.

+Quote Post
spiderman
post Jul 18 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #14

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 227

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 18 2006, 10:22 PM) *

Yes sir

cheers.gif

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 18 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #15

Superstar

Member No.: 23

Is it possible though that Drew Gooden could work as a good counterweight to Ben Wallace in the middle? Specifically, Wallace isn't exactly an offensive threat, but he dominates on the Defensive end. Gooden is somewhat of the opposite...

Basically his job would be to score on the offensive end, and put another big body in the lane to clog it up so that Wallace can be more effective on the offensive boards, while on the defensive end, his job would just be to put his hands up and be big, while Wallace roams in behind him.

Wallace would at some level cover up for Gooden's flaws on the defensive end, so that if he missed a play he had someone as backup, but just having the 2nd big body down there could help Gooden's defense improve anyway because he'd know he had help, so he could be more aggressive. Z doesn't exactly strike me as the best big help defender in the league, maybe I'm wrong in that assessment though.

Of course, I'll be the first one to say that if he can't fit into Skiles' system, or if he wants Ben Wallace type dollars, he'd be a terrible guy to get, but I'm just sort of throwing out there that he might work in the "Rasheed" component alongside Big Ben, even if he doesn't fit the mold perfectly.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:49 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home