> 2008 Official Draft Day Thread, For All Bulls Discussion
AtHomeBoy_2000
post Jun 26 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #16

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26 2008, 12:51 PM) *
Is that because they aren't under contract? I'm assuming a deal can get done but just not officially performed until later?

agree in principal and announce it "unofficially" so it basically locks both side into the deal.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jun 26 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #17

I'm fresh.

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26 2008, 12:51 PM) *
Is that because they aren't under contract? I'm assuming a deal can get done but just not officially performed until later?

Perhaps. From what I read they can't be moved until July?

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jun 26 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #18

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Paxson has to be making a big move this off-season. After the beatdown he has gotten for the players he didn't get, it is time to put the chips on the table and rock.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jun 26 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #19

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jun 26 2008, 01:02 PM) *
Paxson has to be making a big move this off-season. After the beatdown he has gotten for the players he didn't get, it is time to put the chips on the table and rock.

But only if JR says its ok... dry.gif

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jun 26 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #20

All-Star

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jun 26 2008, 01:09 PM) *
But only if JR says its ok... dry.gif

I don't know that I remember the last time he told a GM no. Kenny gets the override all of the time.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 26 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #21

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (AtHomeBoy_2000 @ Jun 26 2008, 12:52 PM) *
agree in principal and announce it "unofficially" so it basically locks both side into the deal.

This has happened several times in the draft in previous years. They'll make an annoucement saying that the two teams have "agreed to a deal in principle" but all of the details and technicalities won't get ironed out until mid-summer.

+Quote Post
Bullhead
post Jun 26 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #22

Draft Pick

Member No.: 1,925

Beasley’s production from the post will make the Bulls a more threatening playoff team than Rose would as a point guard. Even in the era of no perimeter hand checks, a big man’s ability to control a game through high-percentage scoring opportunities and rebounding is invaluable. Teams with great post players also derive other scoring opportunities off the big man’s offensive tools. Sharpshooters around the perimeter give a big man outstanding passing options when confronted with double teams, and keen-eyed big men who set up higher in the post always have the option to drop off passes for teammates cutting through the lane or backdoor along the baseline.

A versatile big man such as Beasley, who can knock down 18-footers in his sleep, can create outstanding spacing on the floor, a key to any half-court offense. The prevailing thought every NBA playoff season is that the game slows down and proper half-court offensive execution is essential to advancing through the rounds. The reason it’s a prevailing thought is because it’s the truth. The Celtics, Spurs, Pistons and Lakers have won titles since the MJ Era by successfully executing this thought process, Dwayne Wade, the refs from the ‘06 Finals and the Heat notwithstanding. If the Bulls want to become a playoff contending team with long-term title aspirations, then they will choose the big man (Beasley) over the little man (Rose) tonight.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 26 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #23

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Aaaaaahhhhh, I'm so excited! headbang.gif I just got back from work 30 minutes ago and am ready for tonight's festivities...

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 26 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #24

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Bullhead @ Jun 26 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Beasley’s production from the post will make the Bulls a more threatening playoff team than Rose would as a point guard. Even in the era of no perimeter hand checks, a big man’s ability to control a game through high-percentage scoring opportunities and rebounding is invaluable. Teams with great post players also derive other scoring opportunities off the big man’s offensive tools. Sharpshooters around the perimeter give a big man outstanding passing options when confronted with double teams, and keen-eyed big men who set up higher in the post always have the option to drop off passes for teammates cutting through the lane or backdoor along the baseline.

A versatile big man such as Beasley, who can knock down 18-footers in his sleep, can create outstanding spacing on the floor, a key to any half-court offense. The prevailing thought every NBA playoff season is that the game slows down and proper half-court offensive execution is essential to advancing through the rounds. The reason it’s a prevailing thought is because it’s the truth. The Celtics, Spurs, Pistons and Lakers have won titles since the MJ Era by successfully executing this thought process, Dwayne Wade, the refs from the ‘06 Finals and the Heat notwithstanding. If the Bulls want to become a playoff contending team with long-term title aspirations, then they will choose the big man (Beasley) over the little man (Rose) tonight.

I agree with everything you said above. The question is whether the Bulls believe they can find that big man easier than they could find a play-maker like Rose. There is no denying that in the current version of the NBA that a PG who can create can change the entire eb and flow of a game and really carry a franchise. Especially when you factor in the NBA throughouly enforcing and calling the hand-check rule which will continue to open up and make it easier for guards to dominate in this league.

So the question is, if the Bulls think Rose is this guy and can land someone like Elton Brand (who is a proven low post threat) do they do it? I don't question Beasley's ability to score but I don't necessarily see him as a true low post threat. I see him in a combination of Bosh/Melo in the sense that they will be great offensive players but if you consider him a post player, he'd be more like Bosh (in the sense a shooting big as opposed to a physically dominant one) or like Melo in the sense of a pure scorer but maybe not a great passer or anything along those lines.

Regardless I would be thrilled if the Bulls found a way to get the 2nd overall pick and nab both Beasley & Rose but that is incredibly realistic and would obviously set back the franchises time-table (but it could obviously put the franchise in a tremendous spot to make a run at Lebron/Wade in the 2010 FA race).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 26 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #25

All-Star

Apparently at some point in time the Twolves offered the Bulls Al Jefferson for the #1 overall pick. Thats the type of move I'd strongly consider but it doesn't sound like the Bulls will bite. You could acquire Jefferson and have Jefferson/Noah as your low post threat with Hinrich/Deng (legit starters) and Gordon (plus Nocioni/Hughes/etc). Obviously some salary or fillers would have to get moved, but with Jefferson on board the Bulls could pretty much focus on moving the parts for a better PG or SG.

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Jun 26 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #26

Bench

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26 2008, 12:14 PM) *
Apparently at some point in time the Twolves offered the Bulls Al Jefferson for the #1 overall pick. Thats the type of move I'd strongly consider but it doesn't sound like the Bulls will bite. You could acquire Jefferson and have Jefferson/Noah as your low post threat with Hinrich/Deng (legit starters) and Gordon (plus Nocioni/Hughes/etc). Obviously some salary or fillers would have to get moved, but with Jefferson on board the Bulls could pretty much focus on moving the parts for a better PG or SG.

Yikes, tough call. Would we get the number 3 as well? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 26 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #27

All-Star

QUOTE (Cowch @ Jun 26 2008, 12:17 PM) *
Yikes, tough call. Would we get the number 3 as well? rolleyes.gif

Haha, if that was the case it would a no-brainer, lol. Although you could probably expand it to such. I just don't see why Minny would do that because I truly believe Jefferson is the type of guy you build a franchise around (unless they think Rose is a better guy to do it with).

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 26 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #28

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Man, that's tempting. 23 year old big men that averaged 21-11 the last year don't become available too often. If his defense were even average I think I'd do that, but he's an atrocious defender. He also makes a lot more than the pick right now.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 26 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #29

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26 2008, 02:14 PM) *
Apparently somepeople believe the Twolves have offered the Bulls Al Jefferson for the #1 overall pick. Personally I'd make that move but the belief is that the Bulls will not bite.

No, I don't think the Bulls would bite b/c they want a PG. But, if the Bulls had all along wanted Beasley, then I think they'd be crazy not to make the trade b/c 23 year old PF/C's who average 21 and 11 don't come often. The dude won't even be in his prime for 2-3 more years and at that point should be averaging 24 and 12 type #'s. That's sick...

I'd have to think about that trade, but I'm pretty sure I'd make it. I guess I'd have to consult Vinny and ask him how he thinks Al would fit into the offense Vinny wants to run, but I think he could figure out a way to make it work with a young, dominant post-player. I'd absolutely make this trade, however, if we could figure out a way to acquire Wade without giving up the #1 pick. Wade and Jefferson on the same team would be badass. And, we'd likely still have Noah and Nocioni. We'd just have to find a solid PG to run the team, which I think we could convince Duhon to come back to do if he didn't have much competition with Hinrich and Gordon both likely gone.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 26 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #30

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26 2008, 12:20 PM) *
Man, that's tempting. 23 year old big men that averaged 21-11 the last year don't become available too often. If his defense were even average I think I'd do that, but he's an atrocious defender. He also makes a lot more than the pick right now.

I actually think its almost a no-brainer to make the deal. I don't know who the Bulls give up cap wise, but I'm not concerned about his lack of defense because the Bulls still have Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah who both project into plus defensive players.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:41 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home