Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ben Gordon Contract Talks, For Gordon Rumors
Chisoxfn
post Jul 9 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

I haven't heard any, but with Memphis being the only team with significant room under the cap it is unlikely that a team will offer big contracts to Deng or Gordon. However, the Clippers may end up having substantial cap room and they could consider making a large offer to either Bull.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 9 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #2

All-Star

A Philadelphia radio station was reporting that the Sixers could have some interest in trading for an offensive 2 guard now that the team has came to terms with Brand. Ben Gordon could be a fit and the Sixers have apparently had some considerations about using Iguduala as bait.

Obviously Andre Igu isn't necessarily a great fit here, but it would allow the Bulls to dangle Deng or others to fill another need.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 9 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #3

All-Star

Monte Ellis (Golden State) has apparently had preliminary contract discussions with the Warriors and is believed to be asking for ~11M per season.

Gordon is a very similar player to Ellis so this could help the Bulls and Gordon to come up with an appropriate market-value. I personally believe 11M is too much a season for someone as one dimensional as Ben, but he is the only true scorer the club has on the roster.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 9 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9 2008, 03:50 PM) *
A Philadelphia radio station was reporting that the Sixers could have some interest in trading for an offensive 2 guard now that the team has came to terms with Brand. Ben Gordon could be a fit and the Sixers have apparently had some considerations about using Iguduala as bait.

Obviously Andre Igu isn't necessarily a great fit here, but it would allow the Bulls to dangle Deng or others to fill another need.

Really? Iguodala potentially being trade bait? That seems very odd as he's arguably STILL their best player even with Elton Brand. If you could turn Gordon and Gooden/Tyrus or something like that into Iguodala that'd be a no-brainer. He's been playing SF, but he has enough ball-handling/shooting ability to play the 2, and his athleticism would be elite for the position as well. That'd be very strange though, it seems to me that it'd make more sense to try to move one of Williams and Green.

As for Gordon's contract, I don't have a whole lot of hope that they'll work out a long term deal. The 5-50 contract they offered before was pretty fair, unfortunately past rumblings seem to suggest that he wants considerably more. Much as they need his scoring punch, locking him up for anywhere near a max deal doesn't seem very smart. I'd say the same thing about Deng, but he's seemingly been more reasonable in his demands.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 9 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #5

All-Star

I agree with you that it doesn't make much sense. I guess the question is if the Bulls do that deal are they considered a better team? Who will do the scoring since neither Deng/Igu are what I'd consider consistent scorers (in the sense that they can take over a game). I consider Igu solid enough to be a shut-down defender against 2's, so you'd have a very good defense and a very long squad with him on the team.

The one weakness is the team would run and wouldn't have anyone to kick the ball out to as a true-shooter (and the Bulls are going to need at least one guy like that if they plan on running an up-tempo system). You'd have to love the athleticism of a lineup which featured Rose, Igu, Deng, Tyrus, Noah.

The problem is it would have a hell of a time consistently scoring if teams were able to prevent them from running in transition.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 9 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Yeah, I would definitely say it makes us better. The defense and ball-handling would get quite a bit better and you don't lose a lot, if anything in the scoring department. I would say Iguodala is a more consistent scorer than Gordon since he shoots more FT's and is more effective on the drive, though Gordon is unquestionably a better shooter. He also probably has more ability for explosive scoring nights, though the other AI is less likely to give you single digits I would say.

I would think that Deng and Iguodala can hit enough mid-range jumpers to keep people from collapsing too much on the drives, though an elite shooter off the bench would be a good idea. Philly managed to pull it off reasonably well this past year without a real sniper on the roster though. Kirk and Noc would actually be decent fits, but in a weird situation they actually wouldn't have as many opportunites. Turning some spare parts into another shooter would be smart, especially if you can somehow get a legit PF that can step outside.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 10 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #7

All-Star

From Mike McGraw. Talks about the trickle-down of the Brand signing and how it will effect the Bulls negotiations with Gordon/Deng. The reality is that with no one else to put out offers and set market's for Gordon/Deng we can really expect these negotiations to drag on.

Elton Brand sent shock waves across the NBA landscape late Tuesday night by opting to move across the country.

Instead of teaming up with free-agent Baron Davis to turn the Los Angeles Clippers into a legitimate playoff contender, Brand instead accepted a reported $82 million contract from the Philadelphia 76ers.

The Bulls' No. 1 draft pick in 1999 was thought to be one of the NBA's last boy scouts. It seems out of character for Brand to leave his old team in the lurch, not to mention Davis. But that's how it went down.

Now Philadelphia, though still lacking outside shooters, figures to become one of the top teams in the East, while the Clippers are scrambling to find Brand's replacement. Davis has little choice but to stick with his original agreement, since the free-agent money is drying up.

Brand's surprising decision will have a trickle-down effect on the Bulls. After the way things played out Wednesday, there is little chance of Bulls restricted free agents Ben Gordon or Luol Deng signing an offer sheet with another club.

Golden State might have made an offer, but the Warriors countered Davis' departure by signing former Clippers swingman Corey Maggette to a reported $50 million over five years and inked Lakers power forward Rony Turiaf to an offer sheet worth $4 million a year that probably won't be matched. Add in the need to re-sign guard Monta Ellis and center Andris Biedrins and the Warriors' money is basically spent.

That leaves the Clippers and Memphis as the only teams with any cap room left. The Grizzlies, with an eye on the bottom line, appear willing to sit tight until next year.

The Clippers don't figure to pursue Deng or Gordon, because they already have Al Thornton and rookie Eric Gordon at those positions. Most observers expect the Clippers to consider large offer sheets for either Atlanta's Josh Smith or Charlotte's Emeka Okafor.

This means negotiations for Deng and Gordon will likely drag on for several more weeks. Neither player has received a formal offer from the Bulls.

The key number for the Bulls this summer is $71.15 million, which is the new luxury-tax threshold, announced Wednesday. Any team whose payroll exceeds this amount is charged a dollar-for-dollar tax on the excess and also does not receive any of the money distributed to the nontax teams.

General manager John Paxson has said the Bulls would prefer to avoid the luxury tax, but would be willing to pay if it meant acquiring a great player.

The Bulls' payroll for 2008-09, without Deng or Gordon, currently stands at $53.89 million for 11 players, including rookie Derrick Rose.

So to avoid the luxury tax this season, the Bulls would have to limit the first-year salaries for Gordon and Deng to $8.63 million each. With the allowable 10.5 percent raises each year, that would work out to $65.38 million over six seasons for an average of $10.9 million per year.

Some might say that's a fair price for the two restricted free agents. But the players still have leverage. They could sign one-year qualifying offers and become unrestricted free agents next summer, then conceivably leave for a new team while the Bulls get no compensation.

Such strategy would be a risk for Deng and Gordon, but there should be ample cap room available next summer. Memphis and Seattle are on pace to have around $20 million in cap room. Miami could be near $20 million if it doesn't re-sign Shawn Marion.

The Clippers will have around $15 million to spend if they don't sign anyone this summer. Detroit could even have close to $15 million if it doesn't re-sign Rasheed Wallace, while a couple other teams, such as New Jersey and Portland, could open up $10 million or more depending on what personnel moves they make between now and next July 1.

A few other players agreed to change teams. Chris Duhon officially became a former Bull by signing a two-year deal with New York. Mickael Pietrus is expected to go from Golden State to Orlando. Center DeSagana Diop returned to Dallas and sharpshooter James Jones went from Portland to Miami.

Washington's Gilbert Arenas and Sacramento guard Beno Udrih are among the players who will re-sign with their current teams.

The most sought-after unrestricted free agent left on the market is Boston swingman James Posey, who is reportedly being chased by Cleveland, New Orleans and San Antonio, in addition to the Celtics.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 30 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #8

All-Star

Gordon, sources said, is seeking a deal that is at least equal to Deng's.

Are you freaking kidding me. Get over yourself Ben. You aren't as good as Luol.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 30 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #9

Superstar

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Are you freaking kidding me. Get over yourself Ben. You aren't as good as Luol.

He's outscored Luol every season since coming to the NBA. He has valid reasoning, at least in his mind.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 30 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #10

All-Star

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:25 AM) *
He's outscored Luol every season since coming to the NBA. He has valid reasoning, at least in his mind.

Can't play defense, is a 6th man, terrible ball-handler. Need I go on. Than again, I hate on Ben like you hate on Tyrus laugh.gif

Of course Ben has proven a shitload more in this league than Tyrus ever has.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 30 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Man, I'm sorry, that's way too much. He's a great jump-shooter, but that's really all he offers. No way he should be getting more than Monta Ellis.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 30 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #12

All-Star

The thing that sucks is, Gordon as a sixth man is a tremendous asset. However, people aren't understanding of the fact that he's a pure "scorer". I actually compare him to a guy like Jason Terry. Different skill-sets, but early on Terry got a fat contract and was forced into starting but it wasn't until he became more of a 6th man/spot starter where he truly became valuable to an organization (in the sense that you can see Terry as a 6th man being a title contending piece).

I see it as any team Gordon starts on will never contend for a title, however, any team he's the 6th man on could potentially be a title contender because Gordon the 6th man is a tremendous asset.

I will say that if the Bulls lose Gordon, they will have to be acquiring a player who can be a legitimate low post scorer (20 PPG type of guy) or just a total star (ie, Carmelo and yes, I'd find a way to have both Carmelo and Deng in the lineup). I'm not saying Okafor would be that but I would have loved an acquisition of such with the hope that as Rose develops he would be able to turn Deng & Okafor into 20+ PPG scorers (I think Deng is fully capable of such without Rose, but Okafor was more a 17-18PPG type of guy at his peak, imo).

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 30 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #13

Superstar

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30 2008, 01:29 PM) *
Can't play defense, is a 6th man, terrible ball-handler. Need I go on. Than again, I hate on Ben like you hate on Tyrus laugh.gif

Of course Ben has proven a shitload more in this league than Tyrus ever has.

I"m trying to think on his wavelength. I'm not a Ben Gordon fan whatsoever, and I wouldn't give him money equal or better to Deng's, but I realize how great of an asset he is to this team. He's our best, and only, pure scorer. He's the best player in the league coming off the bench. With that said, he's a beyond terrible defender, is way too inconsistent, and is undersized. Either sign and trade him or ink him long term. If we do pull off a S&T, go get a Boozer or a Michael Redd.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 30 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #14

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *
I"m trying to think on his wavelength. I'm not a Ben Gordon fan whatsoever, and I wouldn't give him money equal or better to Deng's, but I realize how great of an asset he is to this team. He's our best, and only, pure scorer. He's the best player in the league coming off the bench. With that said, he's a beyond terrible defender, is way too inconsistent, and is undersized. Either sign and trade him or ink him long term. If we do pull off a S&T, go get a Boozer or a Michael Redd.

Redd may have size, but he is a terrible defender. Almost as bad as Ben. Redd is better scorer/ballhandler then Ben, but how much of that is just due to expirience?

Dropping Gordon for Redd woule feel a lot like the Chandler Wallace debacle. If the move doesn't net a championship immidiately, the bulls are going to feel real stupid.

Boozer though? That would be sweet.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 30 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #15

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 30 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Boozer though? That would be sweet.

The problem with Boozer is that he's either got an opt-out or he's a URFA at the end of this coming season (I can't remember which and it doesn't matter anyway so I'm not going to bother googling it). So although he'd be sweet, and that would clear some cap room if he left...he's the kind of guy who's going to be in heavy demand next year from any team that can get itself under the cap.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:39 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home