Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pistons acquire Allen Iverson
Steve9347
post Nov 3 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #1

I'm fresh.

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 131

For Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess, and other throw ins.

Holy spiff.

The Nuggets and Pistons have agreed in principle on a trade that would send Allen Iverson to Detroit and Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver, sources have told ESPN.

The deal has not been finalized.

This would be the second time Iverson has been traded in two years. He was dealt by Philadelphia to Denver in December 2006, kicked out of Philly over irreconcilable differences as part of a package that brought Andre Miller to the 76ers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Nov 3 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 43

That's a pretty sweet deal. Detroit finally picks up an elite level player who happens to have an expiring contract and Denver gets a real PG and a much needed body inside (assuming he goes). What the heck is Detroit's lineup now? Does Stuckey stay on the bench? Do they sit one of Rip or Prince? Or do they go super-small and have 'Sheed as the only big (not a fan of that)? They should be an interesting team to watch. Plus what do they do in the off-season, try to re-sign AI or turn over the reigns to Stuckey and get a huge amount of money off their cap? 'Sheed is a FA also, so if they want to blow it up and start over that's over $30 mil that could be coming off the books. Plus Rip only has one year left, so it's possible they can go into 2010 with cap space coming out of their ass and a core of Stuckey/Prince/Johnson/Maxiell and throw a ton of money at Lebron/Wade/Melo. That's really a VERY interesting situation now.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Nov 3 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

smart move both teams

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Nov 3 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 3 2008, 10:09 AM) *
That's a pretty sweet deal. Detroit finally picks up an elite level player who happens to have an expiring contract and Denver gets a real PG and a much needed body inside (assuming he goes). What the heck is Detroit's lineup now? Does Stuckey stay on the bench? Do they sit one of Rip or Prince? Or do they go super-small and have 'Sheed as the only big (not a fan of that)? They should be an interesting team to watch. Plus what do they do in the off-season, try to re-sign AI or turn over the reigns to Stuckey and get a huge amount of money off their cap? 'Sheed is a FA also, so if they want to blow it up and start over that's over $30 mil that could be coming off the books. Plus Rip only has one year left, so it's possible they can go into 2010 with cap space coming out of their ass and a core of Stuckey/Prince/Johnson/Maxiell and throw a ton of money at Lebron/Wade/Melo. That's really a VERY interesting situation now.

Small note...Melo has 1 more year on his contract than lebron/wade. However, Bosh is also a FA that offseason. As is that Iverson dude.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Nov 3 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #5

All-Star

Yeah, I was mistaken, thought Melo had the same opt-out everyone else in that class did. So remove Melo and potentially add guys like Amare, Dirk, Yao, Manu and Joe Johnson. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Nov 3 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

I think it's a terrible trade for the Pistons from a personnel standpoint ... But it makes me happy as a Bulls fan. Chauncy is better than AI. Then throw in McDyess and it's a steal for Denver.

I guess it gives Detroit cap relief after this season, which must be why they made the trade. Otherwise, I can't figure it out.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Nov 3 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #7

All-Star

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 3 2008, 06:55 PM) *
I think it's a terrible trade for the Pistons from a personnel standpoint ... But it makes me happy as a Bulls fan. Chauncy is better than AI. Then throw in McDyess and it's a steal for Denver.

I guess it gives Detroit cap relief after this season, which must be why they made the trade. Otherwise, I can't figure it out.

That's the main reason, it gives them a ton of cap space this off-season with AI expiring and 'Sheed probably leaving. Speculation is that they'll go after Carlos Boozer this off-season and still have money for 2010 whether they sign him or not (though they extended Hamilton as well, so I believe no max deal if they get Boozer).

Secondly, he hasn't won as much, but AI is probably a better player. Billups is obviously a true PG and is more efficient with the ball, but AI is far more explosive as a scorer and generates about as many good shots for others. My guess is they think AI is more likely to make a major impact and that he gives them a better shot to do something this year. That can definitely backfire though, so the cap stuff is the main reason.

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Nov 4 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 781

I like this trade if only for the fact that Rasheed Wallace doesn't

+Quote Post
MB33
post Nov 5 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #9

6th Man

Member No.: 477

good move for the future for the pistons

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:34 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home