> The Dwight Howard Drama Thread, Today: wants to be traded
madisonsmadhouse
post Jun 26 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012...e-worth-taking/

Getting Dwight Howard would be tough, keeping him tougher. A gamble worth taking?
Posted on June 26, 2012 at 8:00 am by Jonathan Feigen in General
Share share E-mail
Magic center Dwight Howard is the franchise-type player the Rockets have long coveted. (John Raoux/Associated Press)

Maybe it would just be easier to be really lousy and lucky, after all.

The Rockets’ way, however, makes things much more interesting around the trade deadline, draft and free agency.

The Rockets’ search for a franchise star has grabbed the post Finals attention centered on their hopes to land Dwight Howard. This is nothing new, of course. They had been in talks with the Magic up to 11 a.m. on March 15 when Howard ended that by signing his opt in to remain with the Magic for another season. That was not about to end the chase.

The chatter heated up when ESPN.com reported that the Rockets have tried to pick up extra top 10 picks to put together a deal with the Magic that would send Howard to Houston. This is entirely true, but among many moves the Rockets are trying to work out by Thursday’s draft. Nothing is imminent and the talks are considered fragile at best.

Also, the Rockets are trying to move into the top 10 not just to swing a deal with the Magic, but to use the pick themselves, rather than two picks in the middle of the round.

None of this comes as a surprise to anyone. The Rockets have made no secret of their quest to land a franchise player. And they have tried to move up in every draft since Daryl Morey has been the general manager.

Things are, however, particularly intense this week. There has been interest in Kyle Lowry since he expressed his dissatisfaction with playing for Kevin McHale. The Rockets have shopped Kevin Martin. But everything is about finding that next star to be the foundation for their future, either with the deal to bring him to town or to better equip the Rockets for that kind of trade.

In some ways, it would be interesting if the Rockets dealt Lowry, Martin and perhaps an extra big man to Orlando for Howard and a pricey veteran or two. History does tend to repeat itself, and this would not be the first time they sent a starting backcourt and an extra big man to Orlando for a Magic star who also was a straight-from-high school player available because he was unwilling to commit beyond the next season while coming off a back injury. Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kevin Cato for Tracy McGrady happened. This could, too.

The Rockets do have what it would take to make this kind of deal. First, they are willing though they would be gambling that Howard would walk in a year. They were willing to gamble when Howard was signed only for a few weeks. They would jump at the chance to have him for a full season.

Second, they have a variety of contracts to offer, from Lowry’s modest contract to Martin’s expiring deal. They could offer productive players in rookie-scale contracts and multiple picks. They agreed to trade Martin, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola and a first-round pick to get Pau Gasol. You can imagine what they would have to send to Orlando to get Howard. And third, they have cap room if they need to take back an extra contract to make a deal work.

The competition would be greater now than in March when relatively few teams were willing to risk much with Howard signed for such a short time. And the Magic still would have reason to be patient to try a bit more to get Howard to stick around to play for a new GM and coach, or to try to land a replacement star rather than the Rockets’ offer of good, solid players that have been unable to break from the middle of the pack.

But if we assume the Magic would be willing, that the Rockets could land Howard, do you take the chance you can keep him? If you can get a pair of top 10 picks, do you just use the picks and try to find your star that way? In other words, do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

Eh, why not?

Undoubtedly, the chances of signing Howard long-term are not great. David Aldridge reported that a source told him there is no chance Howard would sign after next season. I was told in March, about 10 days after the deadline, that Howard wants a bigger stage than Houston offers. He can wait a season and head to Brooklyn and immediately be the greatest center the Nets have ever had (something he cannot be with the Rockets or Lakers.)

Howard, however, has set records for fickle decision-making. Given a year in Houston, he could change his mind. For that matter, in a year, he could change his mind 57 times. The Rockets with Howard could be capable of a pretty strong year, a better season than they would likely have without him, which could help convince him to stay or at least be fun while it lasts.

Basically, if they can get him, they have a chance to keep him. Put a percentage on it. Whatever you think it is. For argument sake, let’s say there’s a 25 percent chance he would stay. How does that chance compare to the chance of trading for a similar star with a long-term contract? How does it compare to tanking and hoping to win the lottery, and winning it the year you happen to have a player that dominant waiting for you?

The Rockets know how difficult it is to land a star, especially one with a long-term contract. Winning the lottery is far from a sure thing (think Charlotte) and going to the lottery every single guarantees little (Washington, Sacramento.)

If they can get Howard, the chances they can keep him are not great, but they are better than trying to get a player like that elsewhere.

Now, all they have to do is get him. Again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 26 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Member No.: 23

How about we just name this the "Dwight Howard Saga" thread?

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 26 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Bench

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 109

I'm glad the Howard to Bulls rumors have quited down, because I really am not fond of the guy.

Who knows if it would be a good move for anyone to trade for him (sans Brooklyn perhaps) since he seems to not be pleased with any scenario but 1.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 27 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Bench

Member No.: 1,962

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 26 2012, 10:25 PM) *
I'm glad the Howard to Bulls rumors have quited down, because I really am not fond of the guy.

Who knows if it would be a good move for anyone to trade for him (sans Brooklyn perhaps) since he seems to not be pleased with any scenario but 1.

I agree with this.

Also, why do the Rockets and Lakers get so many great centers throughout their history?

We got a just past his prime Artis Gilmore, though he was damn good.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 27 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I'm not even going to try to guess what Dwight is thinking. If it were me, I'd already be a Bull (and I'm trying to say that objectively).

I can see why the Rockets would try it, they've been stuck in basketball hell for a while, not good enough to be a real threat but not bad enough to add elite talent through the draft. They probably thought they had it with T-Mac/Yao, but they always got hurt. Howard may be a pain in the ass right now, but he's clearly the best big man in the league.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Jun 27 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #6

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,947

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 27 2012, 09:59 AM) *
I'm not even going to try to guess what Dwight is thinking. If it were me, I'd already be a Bull (and I'm trying to say that objectively).

I can see why the Rockets would try it, they've been stuck in basketball hell for a while, not good enough to be a real threat but not bad enough to add elite talent through the draft. They probably thought they had it with T-Mac/Yao, but they always got hurt. Howard may be a pain in the ass right now, but he's clearly the best big man in the league.

I agree with you on if I were Howard as well.

I, along with everyone else, believe if Howard wanted to be a Bull he would be.

I believe it to be a good gamble for the Rockets because they can sit and fight for the 8 seed out west for the next two years and then rebuild completely....or gamble on Howard for this year and then rebuild if he bolts next year.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jun 28 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #7

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 26 2012, 03:33 PM) *
How about we just name this the "Dwight Howard Saga" thread?

Went with "Drama" and done.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Jun 28 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #8

Bench

Member No.: 109

Dwight is so good yet getting hard to root for. I just don't remember so many top NBA guys insistent on both leaving the team that drafted them and being so in control of where they land afterwards.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 28 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #9

Superstar

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28 2012, 02:54 PM) *
Dwight is so good yet getting hard to root for. I just don't remember so many top NBA guys insistent on both leaving the team that drafted them and being so in control of where they land afterwards.

Probably because it's never happened like this before.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 28 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Bench

And it's never been this bafflingly idiotic before.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jun 30 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Reported by Chris Broussard. Apparently he feels that the Magic "blackmailed" him by saying they would trade him if he didn't agree to opt in for this season.

f***ing idiot.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Jun 30 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Bench

Trade him to the Bobcats for MKG, Biyombo, and first rounders.

They'll suck this year and in the future.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 1 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #13

Superstar

PLayes association suggests Howard will have a grievance against the club, and may push to be declared a free agent and have his option overturned.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Jul 1 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #14

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

If the Bulls traded them Noah and Deng would they have enough money next year to sign a guy like Harden? When Mirotic comes over I think he'd be perfect next to Dwight. A Rose-Harden-Butler-Mirotic-Howard starting 5 would be pretty effin sick.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 1 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #15

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 1 2012, 02:55 PM) *
If the Bulls traded them Noah and Deng would they have enough money next year to sign a guy like Harden? When Mirotic comes over I think he'd be perfect next to Dwight. A Rose-Harden-Butler-Mirotic-Howard starting 5 would be pretty effin sick.

They couldn't offer Harden a max deal if they were still holding on to Butler, and they might not be able to anyway. Assume both Rose and Howard are close to $19 million, makes $38. If Butler would be $2 million, Teague another $1 million, puts them at about $41 million. If the cap stays at $58, then Harden cannot be offered. Have to trade away the kids too.

The only reason the Heat were able to do all 3 was...2 of their guys (Wade and Lebron) actually took less than the max deal.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:45 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home