> Trash talk: Hoping for a Bulls-Suns Finals
DrunkBomber
post May 1 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #1

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 214

Link

The NBA playoffs are supposed to build to a climax in the Finals. High drama. Maximum excitement.

But what if the Detroit Pistons meet the San Antonio Spurs? If you’ve ever watched a backhoe move dirt from one spot to another at a construction site, that would approximate the thrill level of watching the Pistons and Spurs grapple for supremacy. Those two clubs met for the crown in 2005 – won by San Antonio – and I’m still a little drowsy from it.

Defense wins championships. But it also can bore the heck out of millions.

That’s why I’m rooting for an NBA Finals between the Phoenix Suns and the Chicago Bulls. And – if I may be so presumptuous – you should, too.

Defense, in and of itself, isn’t the problem. Sometimes a great defensive stand can be just as much fun to watch as a slick fast break. But there needs to be a reasonable mix.

The Suns are the highest scoring team in the league. Their style doesn’t lend itself to superior defense, because their priority is jacking up shots as quickly as possible. But they can make stops when they have to. They have enough young athletes who play well together as a team that they’re more than one-trick ponies. They have it all.

The Bulls were sixth in the NBA this year in points allowed. But they also averaged just a tick under 99 points per contest. They have shooters like Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich and Andres Nocioni who can keep the scoreboard humming. They’re a bunch of young kids on the rise, rounding into championship form, and that’s cool to watch.

Nothing against the Pistons and Spurs – who are probably favored to reach the Finals now that Miami is out and Dallas appears poised to take the gas pipe – but a Suns-Bulls battle would be highly attractive.

It wouldn’t have the star power of when Charles Barkley and his Suns met Michael Jordan and his Bulls in the 1993 Finals. But with all that high-powered talent involved, it wouldn’t need it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post May 1 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

That would be one helluva series. The Bulls would be able to stay close. I'm sure everyone remembers Barbosa's last second 3 pointer to steal a win a while back.

+Quote Post
RME JICO
post May 2 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Bench

Member No.: 14

Bulls - Suns would be the best matchup this year by far. No other team in the East is this exciting. Bulls - Mavs wouldn't be bad either (but they have to beat the Warriors first).

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 2 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #4

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

I'm just hoping for a Bulls-whoever finals...

lets go Bulls-Warriors... lol.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 2 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 73

A Warriors-Bulls matchup would be insane. I like GS.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post May 2 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2007, 10:00 PM) *
A Warriors-Bulls matchup would be insane. I like GS.

I like homefield advantage... Bulls-Warriors all the way.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post May 2 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #7

6th Man

One of my friends called me last night after Golden State made their comeback and he was telling me how he thinks the Warriors have a solid chance at winning it all.

IMO, Golden State is a joke. The barely got into the playoffs and if they were matched up with any other team theyd be gone already. Nellie know that teams weaknesses and how to exploit them. Theres a reason why theyre the 8 seed.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post May 2 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 41

Jazz-Bulls

Classic Matchup

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 2 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 2 2007, 10:18 PM) *
One of my friends called me last night after Golden State made their comeback and he was telling me how he thinks the Warriors have a solid chance at winning it all.

IMO, Golden State is a joke. The barely got into the playoffs and if they were matched up with any other team theyd be gone already. Nellie know that teams weaknesses and how to exploit them. Theres a reason why theyre the 8 seed.

They are not a joke but they are not the best team in the West. They finished off the regular season very strong. It took a long time for the team to gel and find lineups that worked after their trade with Indiana. Plus, with Baron Davis playing this team is way better.

Anyway, if they win and the Rockets win I think they'll lose to the Rockets. I don't think they'll have an answer for T-mac and the Rockets play much better defense than the Mavs. I think they'll give Yao trouble as he won't be able to run down the floor as fast as Golden State can. However, on the defensive end, the Warriors don't have anyone that can guard Yao. It will come down to whether he can stay out of foul trouble and how well the Rockets execute in the half court. It will be an exciting series if it happens. If the Rockets had Bonzi still I think it would be a no brainer that they would win the series b/c the Warriors couldn't guard him, Yao, & Tmac in the post. Would all that running be too much for the Rockets?

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 2 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #10

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 2 2007, 02:14 PM) *
Bulls - Suns would be the best matchup this year by far. No other team in the East is this exciting. Bulls - Mavs wouldn't be bad either (but they have to beat the Warriors first).

Bulls vs any team would be a great final. Almost any team from the West would likely be favored but the Bulls could beat any of them in a best of 7 if they played good. The team I don't want the Bulls to play is the Suns because I don't think we could beat the Suns in a best of 7. They matchup as good if not better at almost every position. Plus they have Barbosa "the blurr" who already hit one game winner on us this year.

I think Amare would give Ben Wallace a lot of trouble and there is no way PJ could guard Marion on the perimeter. We'd have to rely on Tyrus/Deng to guard Marion. Obviously Nash is light years ahead of Deng. Raja Bell is a great defender and would pose problems for Gordon. The series would really come down to how well Nocioni plays and how well Kirk plays offensively with Nash guarding him. Sefolosha and Tyrus would have to have a big series for us to win.

I think the Bulls could beat any of the half court style teams from the West a lot easier than a team that gets up and down and hits the 3 consistently. Even against bad teams the Bulls often leave 3 point shooters open. You can't do that against the Suns. You could likely get away with that if you played the Rockets or the Jazz. However, I don't think the Jazz have any chance of making it.

I think the Bulls could beat San Antonio in a best of 7. Of course we'd have to keep Michael Finley in check. He hit 8 3's tonight to eliminate Denver. I think Wallace would do a good job on Duncan. PJ could play extended minutes b/c the PF's. However, Robert Horry could play extended minutes. If that's the case we'd need Nocioni guarding him so he's not wide open for 3's. San Antonio uses are all average and slow. Hopefully, Gordon could guard Parker effectively, I think Deng/Sefolosha could guard Ginobili, and Gordon could guard Finley when needed. I actually think that playing San Antonio would be our best chance of winning a title.

Bowen is a great defender and he'd either guard Gordon or Deng. So one of those players will be virtually taken out of the game. Bowen did a great job guarding Allen Iverson so I'm guessing he'll guard Gordon b/c I don't think Manu/Parker can. I think Bowen will alternate who he guards. As for Tyrus/Nocioni, I don't think San Antonio has anyone who can guard them. Nocioni can hit the 3 and blow by any of those PF's who come out to the arc to guard him.

I would love to see a Bulls/Spurs finals because

1) I think we would win
2) I hate the Spurs (Manu "the flopper", & Tim Duncan "the most boring star ever")
3) The Spurs are the only team without Shaq and Ben Wallace on them to win a title since Jordan retired. (we wouldn't break the trend of those 3 big men but it would be nice for Wallace to get another ring and prevent Duncan from #4. The Spurs beat the Pistons 4-3 the last time they matched up in 2005)

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 3 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #11

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 2 2007, 10:18 PM) *

Actually, if Baron Davis plays like this, they could do SOME damage. However, they need to learn to take fewer three's when they are up by 9 with less than 2 minutes remaining and to run down the clock.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post May 3 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #12

6th Man

if they played anyone else besides Dallas in the first round they would have been eliminated already, anybody, even the Lakers, Nuggets or Utah. they know how to beat Dallas and thats relatively it.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post May 3 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #13

All-Star

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 3 2007, 11:23 AM) *
if they played anyone else besides Dallas in the first round they would have been eliminated already, anybody, even the Lakers, Nuggets or Utah. they know how to beat Dallas and thats relatively it.

Pretty much. Any team with guards that can play marginal defense, don't let Davis do half of what he did.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 3 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 3 2007, 11:23 AM) *

I don't necessarily agree, but I hope your right because I love Tmac and the Rockets and would love to see them coast by the Warriors and into the Western Conference Finals.

+Quote Post
scatterbrain
post May 4 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #15

Rookie

Member No.: 782

QUOTE (eddog2 @ May 3 2007, 12:20 AM) *
Would all that running be too much for the Rockets?

It would be interesting to see that... especially Yao. I know he was heading to the bench huffing and visibly wore out at times against the Jazz. Although they can run they usually don't and its obviously lightyears from what GS does. I honestly think it would take huge toll on him. If GS could stay with them early and tire Yao out later on they could use that zone and shadowing they used so well against the Mavs and maybe slow down TMac. It would be interesting to see. Especially in Oakland if Houston's bench was to roll over again.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:44 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home