> OT: Okafor gets 6 year, $72 mil deal
Balta1701-B
post Jul 29 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

Link.
The Charlotte Bobcats have agreed in principle on a six-year contract worth at least $72 million with restricted free agent Emeka Okafor.

General manager Rod Higgins confirmed the agreement Tuesday to local reporters, saying that he expects the contract to be completed "in the next few days" after an ESPN.com report said the sides had made significant progress in the past week and were on the verge of a deal.

The agreement with Okafor by far represents Charlotte's biggest expenditure on one player as the club readies for its fifth season. Okafor turned down a five-year deal with a similar $12 million annual average before last season, preferring to wait for restricted free agency.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 29 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

Well, now we have a pretty good bar for Deng. There is no way he should be getting more money than Okafor.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 30 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #3

All-Star

Member No.: 3

I'm dissapointed to see Emeka sign because I would have loved to see the Bulls find a way to sign Deng long-term and than acquire Okafor, who I believe, could be the missing piece to the franchise. A team consisting of Deng/Okafor/Rose would have been very solid and would have grown into a potential title contender, imo (depending on who the Bulls had to give up to make the deal).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 30 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 29 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Well, now we have a pretty good bar for Deng. There is no way he should be getting more money than Okafor.

Well they pretty much got identical deals, although Deng could get as much as 80M. He'll only be 29 when his deal is up too. Deng's still got every bit of a chance to be a perennial all star, but he's going to have to be more aggressive on the court to ever become a "star".

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 30 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #5

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30 2008, 12:19 PM) *
I'm dissapointed to see Emeka sign because I would have loved to see the Bulls find a way to sign Deng long-term and than acquire Okafor

Yeah, I felt the same way when I saw Okafor was re-signed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 02:57 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home