+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Oct 13 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

Rose and Hinrich as your best two PG's hurts. A LOT. ohmy.gif

I'd trade one of those 3 bigs (I'd say Boozer personally) as well as one of Wallace or Kirilenko (probably Kirilenko) for some more help at the position right now. Right now your team is loaded up on boards and blocks but is pretty short on assists and 3's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 13 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hinrich, Deng, Bargnani and Rose starting......ouch. I like Rose but not with the Bulls crowded backcourt. I agree with Zoom you need help in the assist and 3 point department badly.

Heres my team:

PG Mo Williams
SG OJ Mayo
G Andre Miller
SF Josh Smith
PF Dirk Nowitzki
F Al Thornton
C Marcus Camby
C Rasheed Wallace
Util Mike Bibby
Util Raymond Felton
BN Rafer Alston
BN Andray Blatche
BN Brook Lopez

Love Blatche now that Haywood, Arenas and Jamison are out. I really didn't want Dirk but when he fell to the 8th pick I couldn't complain. This is biased, but I really think I'm one solid three point shooter away from a championship team.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post Oct 13 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #4

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Oops, for some reason posted as a guest.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Oct 14 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 10

haha, i drafted i think 3 centers first, i came unprepared for the draft and figured id stock up on centers for some reason. when it came to PG's and saw i had hinrich and rose, i knew i was screwed there tongue.gif.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post Oct 15 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #6

6th Man

QUOTE (CryptViLL @ Oct 14 2008, 09:30 AM) *
haha, i drafted i think 3 centers first, i came unprepared for the draft and figured id stock up on centers for some reason. when it came to PG's and saw i had hinrich and rose, i knew i was screwed there tongue.gif.

I'm usually successful when I go for forwards and big men first. To me forwards and bigs are most important, and if they can hit free throws they are money. Really it all just depends on league settings.

There always seems to be some point guards undervalued that you can grab for some assists.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Oct 15 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #7

All-Star

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Oct 15 2008, 08:14 PM) *
I'm usually successful when I go for forwards and big men first. To me forwards and bigs are most important, and if they can hit free throws they are money. Really it all just depends on league settings.

There always seems to be some point guards undervalued that you can grab for some assists.

Obviously you need bigs, but you'll have a hard time winning without elite point guards (well, or wings that get a ton of assists). Assists are one of the money categories, not too many guys rack up the assists. Only 20 guys in the league averaged as many as 6 assists last year, and only 35 cracked 5 a game. That comes down to about 3 per team that really contribute, and that includes guys like Tinsley and Sessions that didn't play much and guys you don't really want on your roster like Blake and Telfair. If you can snag a Deron Williams or Jose Calderon that really gives you a big edge, then you don't have to draft three more fringe starters to fix your assists. They also generally rack up a bunch of 3's and steals, two more in-demand categories, and hit FT's. In order to consistently succeed it makes sense to load up on point guards and big men that get blocks (probably the most crucial of the rare categories).

And before you say it Steve, yes, I'm ripping that off from you and Matthew Berry. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Oct 22 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 10

Obviously you need bigs, but you'll have a hard time winning without elite point guards (well, or wings that get a ton of assists). Assists are one of the money categories, not too many guys rack up the assists. Only 20 guys in the league averaged as many as 6 assists last year, and only 35 cracked 5 a game. That comes down to about 3 per team that really contribute, and that includes guys like Tinsley and Sessions that didn't play much and guys you don't really want on your roster like Blake and Telfair. If you can snag a Deron Williams or Jose Calderon that really gives you a big edge, then you don't have to draft three more fringe starters to fix your assists. They also generally rack up a bunch of 3's and steals, two more in-demand categories, and hit FT's. In order to consistently succeed it makes sense to load up on point guards and big men that get blocks (probably the most crucial of the rare categories).

thats a good point, knowledge like that is always good

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Oct 23 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #9

All-Star

QUOTE (Guest @ Oct 13 2008, 03:05 PM) *
Hinrich, Deng, Bargnani and Rose starting......ouch. I like Rose but not with the Bulls crowded backcourt. I agree with Zoom you need help in the assist and 3 point department badly.

Heres my team:

PG Mo Williams
SG OJ Mayo
G Andre Miller
SF Josh Smith
PF Dirk Nowitzki
F Al Thornton
C Marcus Camby
C Rasheed Wallace
Util Mike Bibby
Util Raymond Felton
BN Rafer Alston
BN Andray Blatche
BN Brook Lopez

Love Blatche now that Haywood, Arenas and Jamison are out. I really didn't want Dirk but when he fell to the 8th pick I couldn't complain. This is biased, but I really think I'm one solid three point shooter away from a championship team.

Not sure how I missed this before. How the heck did you get Camby/Smith in the 3rd? That's pretty nice. A few things I would suggest though:

1) As you said, you need a few more 3's, but I would say your biggest hole right now is FG%. Dirk will help, but neither of your centers is going to help you in that area ('Sheed is actually a liability) and you have several other likely low FG guys like Bibby, Felton, Alston, Williams (his 48% last year was well over normal) and probably Mayo. Also, outside of Dirk you don't really have anyone that's likely to get close to 20 points a game.

2) You're a bit over-loaded at PG in terms of position and blocks for stats. Camby and Smith both derive the bulk of their value from blocks and don't really fill in the gaps any. You also get decent to good contributions there from Wallace, Blatche and Dirk.

3) Because of those past comments, I would recommend trading Camby and a PG. You can afford to lose some blocks and boards in trading Camby and you should target a big man that will get you more points and a nice FG% while not TOTALLY destroying your boards/blocks totals. Pau Gasol and Al Jefferson seem like good targets to me that have relatively comparable value (would probably have to add one of the PG). I'd also consider packaging two of those points (preferrably Miller and Felton since they hit fewer 3's and Felton's PT appears to be going down) for one better PG and then target steals and 3's with the extra spot that creates. You want to wind up with as many really good players as possible, those type of guys really carry you in basketball and it's easy to find guys that can fill in a category gap here and there as long as you don't load up on guys that kill your percentages or turn it over a lot.

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Oct 23 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 64

Double post....

+Quote Post
Cowch
post Oct 23 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 64

I'm gonna post my team because I'm wondering if I have any obvious holes.

PG Allen Iverson
SG Jason Richardson
G Brandon Roy
SF Corey Maggette
PF Andrei Kirilenko
F Josh Smith
C Elton Brand
C LaMarcus Aldridge
Util Troy Murphy
Util Nick Collison
BN Shane Battier
BN Ronnie Brewer
BN Monta Ellis
BN Ramon Sessions
BN Luis Scola
BN Louis Williams
BN Jerryd Bayless
BN Andray Blatche
BN Anthony Carter
BN Erick Dampier

Yes the bench is a tad big, I know. lol.

There's always something a team needs, so help me out.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post Oct 23 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #12

6th Man

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 23 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Not sure how I missed this before. How the heck did you get Camby/Smith in the 3rd? That's pretty nice. A few things I would suggest though:

1) As you said, you need a few more 3's, but I would say your biggest hole right now is FG%. Dirk will help, but neither of your centers is going to help you in that area ('Sheed is actually a liability) and you have several other likely low FG guys like Bibby, Felton, Alston, Williams (his 48% last year was well over normal) and probably Mayo. Also, outside of Dirk you don't really have anyone that's likely to get close to 20 points a game.

2) You're a bit over-loaded at PG in terms of position and blocks for stats. Camby and Smith both derive the bulk of their value from blocks and don't really fill in the gaps any. You also get decent to good contributions there from Wallace, Blatche and Dirk.

3) Because of those past comments, I would recommend trading Camby and a PG. You can afford to lose some blocks and boards in trading Camby and you should target a big man that will get you more points and a nice FG% while not TOTALLY destroying your boards/blocks totals. Pau Gasol and Al Jefferson seem like good targets to me that have relatively comparable value (would probably have to add one of the PG). I'd also consider packaging two of those points (preferrably Miller and Felton since they hit fewer 3's and Felton's PT appears to be going down) for one better PG and then target steals and 3's with the extra spot that creates. You want to wind up with as many really good players as possible, those type of guys really carry you in basketball and it's easy to find guys that can fill in a category gap here and there as long as you don't load up on guys that kill your percentages or turn it over a lot.

Lol I got really lucky.

Dirk landed to me at the 8th pick, then grabbed Camby and Smith respectively. 12 man league.

I was thinking of acquiring Peja, probably will get rid of Camby/Felton, I knew I should have drafted him but I just love Andre Miller and I needed assists at the time, little did I know Bibby would land to me couple rds later.

I seem to always overload on one stat category in most my leagues. I took alot of point guards, to be honest no idea why I did that, my team is definitely solid in the rebs and blocks dept. Pretty sure I did that to grab some steals and assists since I was not looking good in those cats at that point in the draft.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Oct 23 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #13

All-Star

As it stands right now you should do fine in steals, especially since both of your centers actually contribute in that category (which is pretty rare). If you move Camby as well as two PG's though that's probably going to be at least 3.5 SPG going out though, so you'll need to make sure you bring back a similar total between the C/PG/new guy combo that you bring in.

+Quote Post
ChWRoCk2
post Oct 24 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #14

6th Man

So, actually got rid of Camby and Felton, replaced with Lee and Peja pending votes against.

Should definitely improve my team in the 3 department and in FG% slightly.

PG Mo Williams
SG OJ Mayo
G Andre Miller
SF Josh Smith
PF Dirk Nowitzki
F Al Thornton
C David Lee
C Rasheed Wallace
Util Mike Bibby
Util Peja Stojakovic
BN Rafer Alston
BN Andray Blatche
BN Brook Lopez

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:56 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home