> The Official 2008 NBA Draft Thread
SoxFan1
post May 19 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #46

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 19 2008, 05:16 PM) *
I think a lot of people around here believe the Bulls need more of a true PG than Hinrich is. So, let me pose this question to you. Would you trade Tyrus and Ben Gordon to the Grizzlies for Mike Conley to get us that PG? This, of course, is pending the Grizz get the #1 or 2 pick to select Derrick Rose in the draft.

Absolutely not. As much as I dislike Tyrus, and as inconsistent as Gordon is, he's still our best scorer and we'd basically be giving them Tyrus as a gift. I think you overestimate Tyrus' defensive abilities. He's not a very good man to man defender, and most, if not all of his blocked shots come off of help defense or during fights for the ball down low. Gordon and Tyrus could get us a MUCH better player than Mike Conley.

For a guy who hasn't really proven anything in the league, and for that matter, only had 2 games if 10+ assists last season, he sure gets a lot of love around here. And thats in 56 games, 46 as a starter. If the deal was Tyrus for Conley, I'd do it, but I doubt Memphis would. But Tyrus AND Gordon would lead me to question Paxson's sanity.

This must be a tough one for you eddog, 3 players you absolutely love.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 19 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #47

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 19 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Absolutely not. As much as I dislike Tyrus, and as inconsistent as Gordon is, he's still our best scorer and we'd basically be giving them Tyrus as a gift. I think you overestimate Tyrus' defensive abilities. He's not a very good man to man defender, and most, if not all of his blocked shots come off of help defense or during fights for the ball down low. Gordon and Tyrus could get us a MUCH better player than Mike Conley.

For a guy who hasn't really proven anything in the league, and for that matter, only had 2 games if 10+ assists last season, he sure gets a lot of love around here. And thats in 56 games, 46 as a starter. If the deal was Tyrus for Conley, I'd do it, but I doubt Memphis would. But Tyrus AND Gordon would lead me to question Paxson's sanity.

Funny story about Conley's dad, well actually about someone I know who competed against Conley's dad. Like 15-20 years ago or so, my cousin Tim Wyss who was basically the greatest athlete to ever come out of our area, went up against Mike Conley in the triple jump for State every year in high school and everytime Tim would get second place so his senior year he didn't even go out because he didn't feel like getting the second place trophy haha..

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 19 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #48

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 19 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Before I even got to the last paragraph, I knew you were going to throw my name out. To be honest this really isn't a tough one for me. It's down right stupid to trade Gordon & Tyrus for Conley. Now if it means trading those 2 and our pick for Memphis' pick and Conley then I'd have to consider it but I doubt they would. I wouldn't trade Gordon straight up for Conley b/c then who is going to score on our team. We'd go from bad offensively to horrible. Anyway, I do like Conley and with the abundance of guards they have and the possibility that they could be getting Rose, I just don't see why or how they'll have room to keep them all. I say they keep Crinttenton and trade us Conley but it shouldn't take much. Maybe Nocioni and next year's first.

You are right that he hasn't proved anythig as a pro yet. But he'll still be a good pro and I'd trade from him if he's available which I think he is/will be. It would be best to trade for him while his value is low instead of waiting until he has a good season. However, with that said, I wouldn't trade Ben Gordon for him and I'd even have trouble trading Tyrus for him straight up (although I'd probably pull the trigger) b/c I still have faith that Tyrus will develop (which I'm probably stupid for thinking).

Anyway, Conley had a respectable rookie season. 9.4 ppg & 4.2 apg in only 26.1 mpg. He actually showed good touch from the outside which I thought he would not demonstrate for a few years. He only shot 33.3% from the arc but he proved he can hit the shot and I'm sure he'll only improve that % in the future. We also have to keep in mind that he is only 20 years old vs the 23 years old that Kirk came into the league at. He shot 42.8% from the field which is better than all but 1 of Hinrich's seasons. My only hope is that if we do add Conley I think we need to start either Hughes or Thabo b/c I don't think a Conley/Gordon lineup will be able to defend anybody.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 19 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #49

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (eddog2 @ May 19 2008, 06:36 PM) *
Before I even got to the last paragraph, I knew you were going to throw my name out. To be honest this really isn't a tough one for me. It's down right stupid to trade Gordon & Tyrus for Conley. Now if it means trading those 2 and our pick for Memphis' pick and Conley then I'd have to consider it but I doubt they would.

The way I understand things, I believe this is impossible. Gordon and Deng aren't under contract for next season yet and are still covered by the NBA's no-trade, post deadline rules, and can not be traded for anything until the FA period begins when they can be moved in sign & trade deals, which comes after the draft.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 19 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #50

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 19 2008, 09:17 PM) *
The way I understand things, I believe this is impossible. Gordon and Deng aren't under contract for next season yet and are still covered by the NBA's no-trade, post deadline rules, and can not be traded for anything until the FA period begins when they can be moved in sign & trade deals, which comes after the draft.

You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking. Well how about Mike Miller & Conley for a re-signed Kirk, Tyrus, & a future 1st. I know that Memphis has been looking to trade Miller but I'm not sure what their interest in Kirk would be.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 19 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #51

Superstar

Member No.: 73

What made Conley so good in college is his breathtaking speed and quickness along with his ability to get to the free throw line. In good time he will be one of the better point guards in this league. I want to make a trade for him but not for the two mentioned at first. I'd get rid of Nocioni for him along with our first round pick (if its higher).

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post May 19 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #52

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 19 2008, 09:43 PM) *
What made Conley so good in college is his breathtaking speed and quickness along with his ability to get to the free throw line. In good time he will be one of the better point guards in this league. I want to make a trade for him but not for the two mentioned at first. I'd get rid of Nocioni for him along with our first round pick (if its higher).

First off, I'm not sure tha Memphis would be too ecstatic to deal Conley for Nocioni. Second, salaries are way off.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 19 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #53

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 19 2008, 08:46 PM) *
First off, I'm not sure tha Memphis would be too ecstatic to deal Conley for Nocioni. Second, salaries are way off.

No idea how it would play in to things, but it's also worth noting that the Bulls have a $5.2 million traded player exemption coming from the Wallace/Hughes et al. Deal.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 19 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #54

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 19 2008, 10:54 PM) *
No idea how it would play in to things, but it's also worth noting that the Bulls have a $5.2 million traded player exemption coming from the Wallace/Hughes et al. Deal.

While that can be very useful, in the deal in question it doesn't help because it allows us to bring in MORE salary. Now if we're talking about a deal for a higher salary player that's another story.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post May 19 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #55

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

that exemption will come in handy if tries to do a sign and trade with Deng or Gordon

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 20 2008, 07:08 AM
Post #56

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

BEGIN LOTTERY TALK

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 20 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #57

I'm fresh.

OMG!! ^^ haha

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 20 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #58

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I don't want to think about how many tries it took you to get that Steve, I did like 10 and the best I got was #2. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post May 20 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #59

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20 2008, 11:14 AM) *
I don't want to think about how many tries it took you to get that Steve, I did like 10 and the best I got was #2. tongue.gif

17/1000 chance of that happening. Yay.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 20 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #60

I'm fresh.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 20 2008, 11:14 AM) *

It really only took me 10 tries.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:45 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home