Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Happened to JR SMITH?, Intresting stuff about our SG
Bullies4Life
post Jul 13 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Starter

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

Let me say one thing: his character problems and "attitude" are being blown way out of proportion by the media, bitter hornets fans, and uninformed bulls fans aswell.

His first season went off without a hitch. He was the only bright spot on a weak team and many Hornets fans considered him to likely be the face of the franchise for years to come. He cracked the rotation before the all star break and started every game for the rest of the season. No issues with the coach, no comments in the media, nothing. He put up decent stats for a rookie and won the rookie of the month for January, February, and March.
He plays summer league before the 05-06 season and tears it up, winning player of the day in one 30+ point affair. As expected, he is the starting SG for the hornets at the start of 05-06.
About 20 games into the season, Hornets coach Byron Scott states in the media that if "some players" don't start giving more effort, then the starting lineup will see some changes. A week later JR Smith is taken out of lineup, and sits the bench the ENTIRE game, coach's decision. The next game he plays 32 seconds. For the rest of the season, JR misses entire games or plays for up to 10 minutes max. How he goes from starter to the last option is beyond me. Nothing happened in the media, and neither coach nor player has mentioned a specific occurance that caused this drastic drop in playing time, other than JR not working hard enough.

Eventually Byron goes to the media and says JR isn't practicing hard enough, doesn't work on his free throws at the gym after practice, etc etc. Coincidentally, JR's FT% from year 1 to year 2 goes up 14% as well as his 3PT % going up 9%.

That is literally all of the major points of JR's career so far. He is no shady character/thug streetballer, he is a young kid who hasn't learned the ins and outs of the league yet. His ability to listen and learn from the coach is often critisized, in fact he has told the media that him and Byron Scott had stopped talking to each other during the season. Considering Scott's past experiences with player personalities, it is foolish to blame this all on JR.

One more thing of note is the player influences he has had at the hornets. When he came into the league, Baron Davis saw it his duty to put JR under his wing and guide him. When the team trades him, JR becomes better friends with Chris Andersen. Baron Davis and Chris Andersen folks. The only legit veteran the Hornets have had to help guide him is PJ Brown.

I don't know much about the player situation you guys have at Chicago, but I will gaurentee you that JR will have ZERO attitude problems in his tenure there. Wether or not he gets playing time remains to be seen, but this kid can be much more than a 'throw in' in a trade like this.

-First of all, no i didnt write this, and im not talking any credit. A fan from the hornets posted this on REALGM. So what do u guys think? Can this guy be our true legit SG in the future? What are u guys expecting from the Kid? Give him a chance or just trade him? Discuss biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HardWorkin'H...
post Jul 13 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #2

12th Man

Member No.: 146

Interesting post. I definately think JR has great potential. Basketball is in his blood. He has the size and athletisism of a Kobe, T-Mac, etc. But I think he just needs time. I truely am intrigued by JR.

+Quote Post
bschmaranz
post Jul 13 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #3

Bench

Member No.: 59

From what I heard on the radio the other day (I think it was the score, it was like 2 in the morning), he's not the problem, his FATHER is. Dude goes to all the games and bitches, calls into radio shows and bitches. The media then at that point thought JR Smith had a horrible attitude problem.

His dad is the parental version of Doug Christie's wife.

+Quote Post
HoofHearted
post Jul 14 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Bench

Member No.: 24

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 13 2006, 11:20 PM)
His dad is the parental version of Doug Christie's wife.

Or Brenda Warner. wink.gif

+Quote Post
bschmaranz
post Jul 14 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #5

Bench

QUOTE (HoofHearted @ Jul 13 2006, 11:58 PM)
Or Brenda Warner. wink.gif

You mean Susan Powter?

+Quote Post
bschmaranz
post Jul 14 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #6

Bench

"Praise the lord!"

"STOP THE INSANITY!"

+Quote Post
HoofHearted
post Jul 14 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Bench

Member No.: 24

Susan is actually kind of good looking, whereas Brenda looks like someone shaved a dogs ass and tought it to sit on their shoulders.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 14 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #8

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

Interesting. Well I will say one thing, it won't take long before we find out if Smith is indeed lazy, pouty, egotistical or anything of that nature, because Skiles will bury his ass so far down the bench if it is true.

+Quote Post
Iguana
post Jul 14 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Bullies4Life @ Jul 13 2006, 10:59 PM)
Let me say one thing: his character problems and "attitude" are being blown way out of proportion by the media, bitter hornets fans, and uninformed bulls fans aswell.

His first season went off without a hitch. He was the only bright spot on a weak team and many Hornets fans considered him to likely be the face of the franchise for years to come. He cracked the rotation before the all star break and started every game for the rest of the season. No issues with the coach, no comments in the media, nothing. He put up decent stats for a rookie and won the rookie of the month for January, February, and March.
He plays summer league before the 05-06 season and tears it up, winning player of the day in one 30+ point affair. As expected, he is the starting SG for the hornets at the start of 05-06.
About 20 games into the season, Hornets coach Byron Scott states in the media that if "some players" don't start giving more effort, then the starting lineup will see some changes. A week later JR Smith is taken out of lineup, and sits the bench the ENTIRE game, coach's decision. The next game he plays 32 seconds. For the rest of the season, JR misses entire games or plays for up to 10 minutes max. How he goes from starter to the last option is beyond me. Nothing happened in the media, and neither coach nor player has mentioned a specific occurance that caused this drastic drop in playing time, other than JR not working hard enough.

Eventually Byron goes to the media and says JR isn't practicing hard enough, doesn't work on his free throws at the gym after practice, etc etc. Coincidentally, JR's FT% from year 1 to year 2 goes up 14% as well as his 3PT % going up 9%.

That is literally all of the major points of JR's career so far. He is no shady character/thug streetballer, he is a young kid who hasn't learned the ins and outs of the league yet. His ability to listen and learn from the coach is often critisized, in fact he has told the media that him and Byron Scott had stopped talking to each other during the season. Considering Scott's past experiences with player personalities, it is foolish to blame this all on JR.

One more thing of note is the player influences he has had at the hornets. When he came into the league, Baron Davis saw it his duty to put JR under his wing and guide him. When the team trades him, JR becomes better friends with Chris Andersen. Baron Davis and Chris Andersen folks. The only legit veteran the Hornets have had to help guide him is PJ Brown.

I don't know much about the player situation you guys have at Chicago, but I will gaurentee you that JR will have ZERO attitude problems in his tenure there. Wether or not he gets playing time remains to be seen, but this kid can be much more than a 'throw in' in a trade like this.

-First of all, no i didnt write this, and im not talking any credit. A fan from the hornets posted this on REALGM. So what do u guys think? Can this guy be our true legit SG in the future? What are u guys expecting from the Kid? Give him a chance or just trade him? Discuss biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this! I think JR could be a BIG surprise this year.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 14 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

I thought that all along. If given the chance to play this year I think him and Josh Smith from Atlanta are going to do some special things.

I just hope Skiles plays who deserves to play at the SG. Meaning the better player. If Smith plays hard and proves he is better then Sefolosha then I hope he gets the playing time over Sefolosha. I just think the Bulls have to many pg/sg's so barring an injury I think he is the odd man out even if his game dictates he should come in behind Gordon or start.

Gordon/Sefolosha/Smith
Hinrich/Duhon/Sefolosha

If he gets the playing time (25-30min) I think he will shine and put up 15+ points a night shooting 40% from 3pt.

+Quote Post
JPargo
post Jul 14 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #11

12th Man

Group: Banned
Member No.: 97

i have no idea when we are gonna get him into the game. Unless Thabo is going to be our 3rd SG

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 14 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Superstar

Member No.: 23

The one thing I will struggle with here if Smith doesn't succeed is this; if he doesn't practice hard, does he realize how much money he'll be costing himself? To be tossed aside by 2 different franchises for the same reason? The only team that would pay him then would be the Knicks.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jul 14 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #13

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

thats good information

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 14 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 14 2006, 09:46 AM)
The one thing I will struggle with here if Smith doesn't succeed is this; if he doesn't practice hard, does he realize how much money he'll be costing himself? To be tossed aside by 2 different franchises for the same reason? The only team that would pay him then would be the Knicks.

Exactly. I think that is why we will see a different player this year. One that can contribute immensly to the the Bulls.

+Quote Post
hammerhead johns...
post Jul 14 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Bench

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 14 2006, 09:46 AM)

Well, if money is what you're being fueled by, then you are a sucker to begin with. He is already getting paid a shitload to slack off.

Does this kid love the game? Does he want to go out and win? Byron Scott would know. He was arguably the hardest working player on those legendary Laker teams.

We have a shitload of guys who would never let the potential financial rewards dictate how hard they play: Wallace, Hinrich, Duhon, Nocioni, Deng, P.J. Brown, etc. They'd be trying to cut your balls off in pick-up games.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:33 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home