Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines

Bulls fueling up with Gasol?
He's on the market for Bulls to grab, but they won't give up Gordon, Deng

By Sam Smith
Tribune pro basketball reporter

January 21, 2007, 9:09 PM CST

No, no, no, the Memphis Grizzlies kept protesting a few months ago when it was suggested here that the Bulls had a package of players to trade for Pau Gasol, that Gasol wasn't exactly hurrying back from his broken foot to be with the weak team and that a trade could benefit both teams.

Gasol is untouchable, Grizzlies management insisted.

Or not.

There was a report Sunday in the New York Post that Gasol, surprise, surprise, upset with the direction of the Grizzlies, is asking to be traded and general manager Jerry West is seeking offers.

First, the rumor: Luol Deng and Ben Gordon for Gasol.

Forget it! Not a chance.

Attempts to reach Bulls officials for comment Sunday were unsuccessful. But league sources familiar with the Grizzlies say there hasn't been a specific exchange of names with the Bulls or any trade proposal. But the Bulls, among other teams, have been notified that Gasol is available.

As suggested here two months ago, Gasol would be an ideal fit for the Bulls, just as Kevin Garnett would be. Though different players—Garnett more the defender and worker and Gasol more offensive minded—both are good passers who could provide the power-forward size and scoring the Bulls need to complement Ben Wallace.

The addition of either would make the Bulls the favorite to reach the NBA Finals from the Eastern Conference. Garnett seems unlikely to be traded with the Timberwolves in playoff contention. But the Grizzlies have the league's worst record and sources say Gasol told owner Michael Heisley last week he doesn't have the patience for another rebuilding.

It's great news for the Bulls. But an indication of how difficult making a major deal can be is how this has developed.

The Bulls, despite my advice, had not had any conversations with the Grizzlies regarding Gasol this season.

Then, a few days ago, a third party not connected with the Grizzlies was believed to have contacted the Bulls to say Gasol was available and the Grizzlies would be interested in Deng and Gordon.

Subsequently, sources say West spoke with Bulls general manager John Paxson, but no specific offers or players names were exchanged or sought. It seems likely now Gasol will be traded before the Feb. 22 deadline. One potential complication is the franchise remains for sale and insiders say Heisley is again in talks with a Memphis group of minority owners. It's not clear whether the new group would want to retain Gasol if a sale is consummated.

One factor in the Bulls' favor is Gasol is represented by Arn Tellem, who is close with the Bulls and last summer did the Ben Wallace deal. Tellem supposedly has talked for some time about getting Gasol into a better market.

Interestingly, Gasol's younger brother Marc, a 7-footer playing in Spain, will be in this draft and is expected to be a first-round selection.

Gasol is averaging 19.3 points, 7 rebounds and 2.5 assists this season and 21.7 points and 9.4 rebounds this month after making the All-Star team last season and then suffering a broken foot in the world championships last summer.

However desirable Gasol might be, Gordon and Deng appear to be off the table.

The Bulls would need Gordon's outside shooting to spread the floor and keep double teams off Gasol. Gasol has struggled when teams could collapse on him as they have with poor talent around him. Likewise, it would be questionable for the Bulls to trade Deng because he moves so well off the ball and Gasol is an excellent passer.

NBA rules limit trading the draft pick the Bulls could get from the Knicks, which could complicate a deal. Figure the Bulls would trade Tyrus Thomas, because Gasol would take minutes from him, and probably Andres Nocioni. Would that be enough for the Grizzlies, with future first-rounders thrown in? Probably not.

The Grizzlies probably also would ask for Kirk Hinrich, who seemingly would be a good fit because the Grizzlies desperately need a point guard. Dealing Hinrich is somewhat complicated because of his contract extension, but it is possible with at least a half-dozen players also in a deal to make salary-cap issues work.

Certainly, the Bulls want to keep Hinrich, but they are loaded at guard and have Thabo Sefolosha in the wings—unless the Grizzlies want him.

Figure these talks may take awhile, though, yes, they finally are talking seriously.

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jan 22 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #2

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Wow, now this is interesting. I love the stance that we're NOT trading Gordon or Deng, very smart.

It's also interesting to hear that there are limits to trading that pick, which lowers its value imo. A package of Tyrus, Noc, and the pick would be enough, but without the pick, finding a match is harder.

As much as I do like Kirk, he is expendable, and we could deal him and Noc for a package including Gasol, but the two of them have more value than Gasol. Very intersting, this could be...

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jan 22 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #3

All-Star

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jan 22 2007, 12:48 PM) *
Wow, now this is interesting. I love the stance that we're NOT trading Gordon or Deng, very smart.

It's also interesting to hear that there are limits to trading that pick, which lowers its value imo. A package of Tyrus, Noc, and the pick would be enough, but without the pick, finding a match is harder.

As much as I do like Kirk, he is expendable, and we could deal him and Noc for a package including Gasol, but the two of them have more value than Gasol. Very intersting, this could be...

Our backcourt becomes really small, and shallow without Kirk in it. We are left with Duhon, Gordon, Sefalosha, and Andre Barrett. There is no way Hinrich goes in a deal without us getting another guard back.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 22 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Two words: Sam Smith. I've suggested about as many deals that actually happened as he has.

That said, if he is really available we have to take a shot, he'd be an incredible fit. I don't really see how we'd get it to work without dealing Hinrich, Gordon, or Deng. Losing any of them would really hurt.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jan 22 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #5

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 22 2007, 02:09 PM) *
Two words: Sam Smith. I've suggested about as many deals that actually happened as he has.

That said, if he is really available we have to take a shot, he'd be an incredible fit. I don't really see how we'd get it to work without dealing Hinrich, Gordon, or Deng. Losing any of them would really hurt.

He is always honest about his reporting though. He will say when something is his idea, and when something comes to him from other sources. This isn't his.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jan 22 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #6

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22 2007, 02:55 PM) *
He is always honest about his reporting though. He will say when something is his idea, and when something comes to him from other sources. This isn't his.

good point.

out of the three players whom would obviously garner interest, I would deal Hinrich, because his contract is just too ridiculous.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jan 22 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Superstar

Member No.: 12

Man, the Hinrich dislike aroufd hear is unbelievable. He's the Bulls's own Rex Grossman.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 22 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #8

All-Star

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 22 2007, 03:23 PM) *
Man, the Hinrich dislike aroufd hear is unbelievable. He's the Bulls's own Rex Grossman.

He hasn't been anywhere near as putrid though, and I'm sure even Hinrich could manage a 1.3 passer rating. tongue.gif

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22 2007, 02:55 PM) *

His stuff often has at least some nugget of truth in them, though where he goes with the "this player is on the block" premise is often a bit goofy. Technically the suggested deals are all him, though his information backing it up is a lot better than usual in this case.

+Quote Post
Chi-town23-33
post Jan 22 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #9

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

I've seen some of this discussion on other boards and this is the most common trade I have seen posted.

Grizzlies Get:
Luol Deng, F
Chris Duhon, G
P.J. Brown, F-C

Bulls Get:
Pau Gasol, F-C
Brian Cardinal, F

I really, really don't want to give up Luol Deng, but Pau Gasol is just a dynamite player. I have not seen the pick involved in this trade, probably because of the difficulties of trading it. However, I would rather trade the pick and Nocioni if it keeps Deng here. But eventually I guess someone has to go because Thabo is waiting, and I think he has a higher ceiling than people talk about or give him credit for. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if something comes of it.

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post Jan 22 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #10

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 65

Gasol would be a great fit for the bulls...plus he fills a huge need. Adding him would make us a contender...but at what cost????
To me, You can't trade Tyrus bc his potential is freakish. We cant trade Gordon bc we would be lost without his outside shooting and recent slashing ability. That leaves us with Deng, Hinrich and Noch....It's so hard to think of parting with any of those guys.

To me, Hinrich would have highest value to the Grizzlies and would be the least missed on this team. Duhon and Thabo could get increased mins and I'm sure Pax would use his jedi abilities to swindle another guard in this deal that could provide some mins.

Couldnt we use the knicks pick to draft a player, then send that player to Memphis??

We would probably have to throw in more than Hinrich and our pick(but that pick could be very very valuable, we might even regret giving it up)...We would have to throw in Sweets and or brown as well. Brown would probably be attractive bc his contract expires after this season....

We'll see what happens. I'm excited Pax is exploring ways to improve this team with a low post player that we have needed for several years now....But we have to be mindful at what cost we would bring in Gasol or another low post player...

I trust in Pax and his jedi ways.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jan 23 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #11

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

I would absolutely love to have gasol, but we absolutely cannot give up deng or gordon. Kirk, ben, deng, pau, and wallace is easily the best starting 5 in the east....we should do anything we can to make this happen

what the bulls have going for them is that pau wants out. It's not the griz looking to trade him (i think they really wish he'd be patient through another rebuilding around him and rudy gay) This means he can force a trade for a deal that is decent, but less than stellar. This means, that though the first thing the Griz will ask for is deng and gordon, a trade is still a possibility when Pax says no way.

Here's the Griz depth chart

1-damon stoudemire/chucky atkins/kyle lowry
2-eddie jones/dahntay jones/rudy gay
3-mike miller/rudy gay
4-alexander johnson/hakim warrick
5-pau/brian cardinal

If I were the Griz, I see the future as Gay, Miller, Lowry, warrick, and johnson and probably playing for the oden/noah sweepstakes to nab their future center. Because they have a young and talented core, while their first inclination might have been to remain competitive by getting deng and gordon they may be content to save plenty of money (griz are about to be sold) and maybe come away with a bright future.

Would a trade of
Nocioni-would have a nice 3 man rotation on the wing with miller and gay
Duhon-can back up stoudemire and eventually back up lowry, only 1 more year on contract
PJ Brown-expiring contract
Sweets- " "
Future 1st round pick

be enough?

I know it's not what the griz are looking for, but that'd be amazing for us....if not......

Hinrich, Noc, PJ, Sweets for Pau and Atkins? Move Sef into the starting lineup with gordon, and duhon is super sub.

In most situations i wouldnt say this, but i would rather give up Kirk than Tyrus. This is only bc we are getting a guy who can play center (i.e. alongside tyrus) as opposed to a true PF (instead of tyrus). This time next year, what would a starting front line of tyrus, pau, and deng be with wallace off the bench? The best front line in the league.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 23 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #12

All-Star

I doubt that Memphis does the deal without one of Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, or Thomas. Realistically, it would make no sense for them whatsoever to do it without it. You need to get AT LEAST one good young player when dealing a player of his caliber, so the absolute least I would settle for if I absolutely had to deal Gasol would be Tyrus, Brown, Duhon, and a future first. Iverson netted two first round picks for Philly, and he's a lot older and is a guard.

The generally agreed upon asking price for Garnett has been at least Tyrus, Brown, and the pick, so I really don't see why this situation would be any different. Garnett is better, but Gasol is cheaper and younger.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jan 23 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #13

All-Star

Does anyone else feel like they wouldn't trade Deng straight up for Gasol, let alone with another starter? I am just being a homer?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jan 23 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23 2007, 02:47 PM) *
Does anyone else feel like they wouldn't trade Deng straight up for Gasol, let alone with another starter? I am just being a homer?

Maybe slightly. Gasol is the better player, but he's also about 4 years older, and right now is more expensive. Deng is ridiculously young at 21 (22 in April) and seems to be getting better every year. In the hypothetical sense, it'd probably be smart to deal Deng for Gasol straight up in a heartbeat, but Deng is a key piece of our team and is still very young. I probably wouldn't do it, but more because of Deng's youth and value to the team than basketball ability.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jan 23 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #15

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

As much as I'd love to pick up Gasol, I'm just too attached to too many of our players to make a realistic trade out of it. I'd hate to see Deng, Gordon, Noc, and Hinrich all go. The only players with any real value that I wouldn't mind trading are Tyrus and Duhon, but that's not nearly enough for a player like Gasol.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:31 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home