> OKC extends Ibaka
Balta1701-B
post Aug 18 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

OKC extends Ibaka.
Presti didn't provide details of the contract, citing team policy, but a league source confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that the deal is for four additional years and $48 million.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Aug 19 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #2

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

So they'll have 43 mill locked into KD-Rus-Iblocka next year...and another 17 mill locked in on other players, 60 mill locked in on 9 players...No chance they can resign Harden right??

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 20 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 19 2012, 12:49 PM) *
So they'll have 43 mill locked into KD-Rus-Iblocka next year...and another 17 mill locked in on other players, 60 mill locked in on 9 players...No chance they can resign Harden right??

They "Could" resign him, but they'd have to commit to paying a fortune in luxury tax. One year isn't bad, but the multiple year ones can kill a team. It can literally approach $100 million after a couple years.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Aug 20 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #4

12th Man

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Assuming he gets around the 12mill that Ibaka got that'll put them at about 55mill for 4 players, 64 if they keep Perkins. Zooms been talking about the cap being at 60 mill so ya a fortune is right should they choose to do so.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 20 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 20 2012, 12:46 PM) *
It'll be interesting to see what they do. Assuming he gets around the 12mill that Ibaka got that'll put them at about 55mill for 4 players, 64 if they keep Perkins. Zooms been talking about the cap being at 60 mill so ya a fortune is right should they choose to do so.

The cap doesn't really matter, the Tax level does for them. If they're at $64 with Perkins, let's say a low bid on Harden might be what, $12 million? That puts them over the tax level for 6 players for the foreseeable future. Fill out the roster and they're guaranteed to be $10 million or more over the tax. In the second year, that would cost them a Tax payment of $35 million.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Aug 20 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 20 2012, 01:07 PM) *
The cap doesn't really matter, the Tax level does for them. If they're at $64 with Perkins, let's say a low bid on Harden might be what, $12 million? That puts them over the tax level for 6 players for the foreseeable future. Fill out the roster and they're guaranteed to be $10 million or more over the tax. In the second year, that would cost them a Tax payment of $35 million.

I would have to imagine Perkins will get amnesty'd soon, possibly after this season. They just can't afford to be paying a defense-only guy $8 or $9 mil, especially when he looked lost for much of the playoffs. That'd hurt them against the Lakers, but I don't really think they have a choice.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 21 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #7

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 20 2012, 03:40 PM) *
I would have to imagine Perkins will get amnesty'd soon, possibly after this season. They just can't afford to be paying a defense-only guy $8 or $9 mil, especially when he looked lost for much of the playoffs. That'd hurt them against the Lakers, but I don't really think they have a choice.

If they can't challenge the Lakers, then there's no point to staying over the cap by that much. Cutting Perkins might not even give them enough money to get under the tax level if they also keep Hardin. There's no reason to keep Hardin if they can't challenge Howard.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Aug 22 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #8

Bench

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 109

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 21 2012, 08:37 AM) *
If they can't challenge the Lakers, then there's no point to staying over the cap by that much. Cutting Perkins might not even give them enough money to get under the tax level if they also keep Hardin. There's no reason to keep Hardin if they can't challenge Howard.

Welcome to Chicago, Mr. Harden?

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 22 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Superstar

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 22 2012, 12:22 PM) *

Unfortunately, it's next to impossible for the Bulls to get him. They won't be under the cap far enough to offer him a reasonable deal, and their only trading asset with a close to expiring contract any time soon will be Luol Deng.

If there's one position where I'm pretty sure the Thunder have no need of a high priced player, it's small forward.

+Quote Post
Quinarvy
post Aug 22 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 1,962

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 22 2012, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 22 2012, 05:01 PM) *
Unfortunately, it's next to impossible for the Bulls to get him. They won't be under the cap far enough to offer him a reasonable deal, and their only trading asset with a close to expiring contract any time soon will be Luol Deng.

If there's one position where I'm pretty sure the Thunder have no need of a high priced player, it's small forward.

They cold go all Miami 2010 and drop everyone but Rose, Noah, Deng, Gibson, and Butler (in that order).

Would they have room if they did that (Gibson would have a decent $8M or so contract, Booz would be amnestied.

PG: Rose/Teague (I'd figure they'd keep him)
SG: Harden/Butler
SF: Deng/Butler
PF: Gibson/Mirotic
C : Noah

I'd enjoy that very much.

+Quote Post
Jake
post Aug 22 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 109

You'd have to get rid of at least one of Deng/Noah.

If Jimmy Butler wants to be a starting caliber player, you have your Noah replacement.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Aug 22 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #12

12th Man

Correct me if I'm wrong here but can't the Bulls go over the cap to resign their own players??

If so can they sign Harden before they resign their guys?

What I'm getting at is somehow this year get a 2nd rounder for Kirk, and amnesty Boozer, which would leave the Bulls roughly at 44 mill (DRose, Deng, Noah, Teague, Butler).

Then sign Harden at lets say the 12 mill Balta threw out there and they'll be at 56. Add in 2 rookies at a mill a piece and were at 58 with a team that looks like....

Rose/Teague
Harden/?
Deng/Butler
?/Rook
NoaH/Rook

Can they then fill those 2 gaps by resigning Bellinelli at say 2 mill and Taj at say 8 mill...or once they hit FA can the Bulls no longer go over cap to resign them.

8 mill over the cap isn't that bad right I mean there are 10 teams in the NBA with a payroll higher than that.

Next year they'd get back under with Dengs contract off the books and hopefully at that point Butler will have established himself as a starting SF.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 23 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #13

Superstar

In order for Taj to remain a restricted free agent, the Bulls will have to make him a qualifying offer of something in the neighborhood of $5 million. When they do that, that immediately takes $5 million out of their available cap space. Thus, DRose, Deng, Noah, Butler, and Teague, along with a cap hold for Taj, would put the Bulls already having $52 million committed.

If the Bulls wanted that $5 million for something else, they could rescind the qualifying offer to Taj, but then they would lose his Bird rights, and thus they could not go over the cap to sign him. Signing him would be like signing any other unrestricted free agent.

So no, there's no way they could get down far enough to offer Harden $12 million a year without losing both Boozer and Taj, unless they can dump Deng or Noah as well.

Also, be prepared for Taj to get offered well over $8 million a year, probably with a poison pill also. If Omer Asik gets an $8 million a year average, then I could totally see Taj being offered $10-$12.

+Quote Post
2nd_city_saint78...
post Aug 23 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #14

12th Man

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 23 2012, 10:01 AM) *
In order for Taj to remain a restricted free agent, the Bulls will have to make him a qualifying offer of something in the neighborhood of $5 million. When they do that, that immediately takes $5 million out of their available cap space. Thus, DRose, Deng, Noah, Butler, and Teague, along with a cap hold for Taj, would put the Bulls already having $52 million committed.

If the Bulls wanted that $5 million for something else, they could rescind the qualifying offer to Taj, but then they would lose his Bird rights, and thus they could not go over the cap to sign him. Signing him would be like signing any other unrestricted free agent.

So no, there's no way they could get down far enough to offer Harden $12 million a year without losing both Boozer and Taj, unless they can dump Deng or Noah as well.

Also, be prepared for Taj to get offered well over $8 million a year, probably with a poison pill also. If Omer Asik gets an $8 million a year average, then I could totally see Taj being offered $10-$12.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I thought it may have been plausible but I didn't bring the qualifying offer into the picture.

I also just realized the "2014 Plan" that I keep trying to wrap my head around is the 2014/15 season not the 2013/14 season. So all these wild scenarios for next season I keep bringing up are all for naught lol.

Though looking at the 2014 FA Market I hope they do what they can to move Deng because I can't see Kobe or Wade leaving LA or MIA and those are the only 2 star, aging stars at that, on the market...The 2014 market as a whole kinda sucks, unless of course Miamis big 3 breaks up and all become FA or someone like Evan Turner or Paul George hit the market.

Only plan I can get with in 2014 is if Dirk comes over cheap enough that we can sign him and George or Turner (Don't Derrick and him have a feud tho?)

Rose-George/Turner-Butler-Dirk-Noah

With Dirk on board maybe they can get Mirotic over to learn from him.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:08 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home