> Hall of Fame Finalists Announced
Chi-town23-33
post Feb 16 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #1

12th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

ESPN

I think those who will be inducted are Phil Jackson, Chris Mullin, Adrian Dantley, Dick Vitale, and the 1966 Texas Western NCAA Championship team.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 16 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

That list looks pretty good, but I'd guess that at least one of Roy Williams and Eddie Sutton gets in as well. They LOOOOOOOVE inducting college coaches. I'd guess that Mullin doesn't get in as well, for some reason you have to do a lot more as a player than as a coach to get in. I'll put it this way, Dominique Wilkins didn't get in right away from some strange reason...

+Quote Post
Chi-town23-33
post Feb 16 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #3

12th Man

Member No.: 120

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 16 2007, 02:37 PM) *
That list looks pretty good, but I'd guess that at least one of Roy Williams and Eddie Sutton gets in as well. They LOOOOOOOVE inducting college coaches. I'd guess that Mullin doesn't get in as well, for some reason you have to do a lot more as a player than as a coach to get in. I'll put it this way, Dominique Wilkins didn't get in right away from some strange reason...

Yeah, you're probably right about the coaches. I'd put Sutton in first, but that's just 'cause I'm still sour about that 2005 NCAA Championship. Good point about Dominique, but I think media has a lot to do with it. Dominique was one of the best players of his era, and considering the era he played in and what he accomplished he should have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But he did play for the Hawks (not the biggest team or the most well supported) and was underated as a player much of his career. To me the media already seems receptive to Mullin because of the weak class of eligible players and because of his fantastic college career. Not a first-ballot HOFer in my mind, but it looks like it may happen in his first year of eligibility.

Finally looks like Adrian Dantley will get in. Utah is finally retiring his jersey as well, at the request of Malone and Stockton.

Only disappointment is not to see Dennis Johnson as a finalist. It does not make sense to put Dumars in and not DJ. No Artis Gilmore either. Oh well.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 16 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

That is pretty awful that GIlmore is getting no love. Even if you just look at his NBA career, he was a 6-time All-star that averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds, and he was a monster for his 5 years in the ABA.

+Quote Post
truthandbasketba...
post Feb 17 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 256

Players like Artis and Dr J really brought their ABA flavor to the NBA and its a shame that Gilmore hasn't gotten the respect that he deserves. Artis was a great player and in my opinion the best center to ever wear a Bulls jersey. I read an interview a few years ago in Slam magazine entitled "Unhappy Gilmore" and he sounded like he's holding onto a lot of bad feelings about being passed over for the 50 greatest players of NBA history and definately the Hall Of Fame thing too. His words were really bitter and being public with it is really not doing him any favors concerning something so political as Hall Of Fame inductions. Heres a couple snapshots of the him doing his thing -
Attached File  artis2.jpg ( 20.58K ) Number of downloads: 17
Attached File  artis.jpg ( 27.49K ) Number of downloads: 17

Gotta love the Dantley nomination though!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:41 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home