> Roy Signs 5-Year Extension, Max Deal
eddog2
post Aug 6 2009, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4379864

Brandon Roy signed a max extension with the Blazers (5 year $82). That's one less unrestricted free agent that will be available for us next year. I'm sure Joe Johnson will be looking for similar money from Atlanta so all our eggs will be in the Dwayne Wade basket (assuming we can clear even more cap space should the cap be significantly reduced). What are the chances that we get Wade? History suggests the chances are pretty low given our free agent success over the years (Eddie Robinson being our biggest "steal"/blunder). I pray that all that changes but I am not really getting my hopes up this time.

As for the Blazers, this max deal may come back to bite them down the road. While Roy is really good, I don't think he'll ever be the player that carries a team to the championship. And with the Blazers set to have to give LaMarcus a big pay day they could be committing big time money to a tandem that for sure can't carry a team to the promise land. If they give Aldridge a contract anywhere near what Roy got it could be the end of the Blazers quick rise and could lead to years of barely scratching the playoffs. Portland already has a tough time getting free agents to come even when they have significant cap space but unless their owner is willing to sign everyone currently on the roster to go over the cap the Blazers will have no choice but to let some of their young talent go. Even if they keep all their talent there is no promise that they have the parts to make championship runs over the next few years.

Should the Blazers give Aldridge a large deal all their hopes will come down to working magical trades to get all-star caliber players. And that will be difficult to do once they have positioned themselves in a poor financial condition. I guess they can clear some space to add a quality player by cutting their ties with Oden but chances are that won't happen. The franchise will be sucked down much as it was with Sam Bowie. Oden/Durant will be remembered as Bowie/Jordan 2.0. And so, Blazers fans, once your franchise commits big money to a soft big man that can score but is unwilling to battle for rebounds (7.6 rpg being his best average ever), your franchises title hopes officially fall on Oden's knees (good luck) or KP's ability to trade talented young players for impact championship parts. At least they have an owner and GM that probably will manage just fine.

As for the Bulls, they are committed to Kirk and Deng long term but at least it is not at anywhere near the dollar value that the Blazers will be committing to Aldridge/Roy. The Bulls could keep Deng/Kirk/& Tyrus for the same amount or once Kirk is gone they could keep Rose/Deng & part of Tyrus' salary. I know we need a big man but my gut feeling tells me the Blazers are about to drop big money on Aldridge and I simply don't think he is worth it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Aug 6 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #2

6th Man

Member No.: 781

I think by the time that contract ends Roy will have lived up to the deal. He's a stud.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Aug 8 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Member No.: 73

I think the Bulls are going to have to settle for a 2nd tier guy like Johnson next offseason. I believe Wade, Lebron, and Bosh all will stay with their teams. I'm not sure about Amare, he will probably sign with New York but if he has a very productive year this season I sure hope the Bulls make him their first priority.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 8 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Aug 8 2009, 02:23 PM) *
I think the Bulls are going to have to settle for a 2nd tier guy like Johnson next offseason. I believe Wade, Lebron, and Bosh all will stay with their teams. I'm not sure about Amare, he will probably sign with New York but if he has a very productive year this season I sure hope the Bulls make him their first priority.

I really don't want Joe Johnson.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Aug 10 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #5

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Aug 6 2009, 10:17 AM) *
I think by the time that contract ends Roy will have lived up to the deal. He's a stud.

He probably will live up to his deal but I don't think Aldridge will live up to the deal I expect him to receive any day now. If they are a smart franchise, Aldridge won't be paid anything close to Roy.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Aug 10 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Aug 10 2009, 10:23 AM) *
He probably will live up to his deal but I don't think Aldridge will live up to the deal I expect him to receive any day now. If they are a smart franchise, Aldridge won't be paid anything close to Roy.

Issue is the same one we had with Gordon though...how do you now convince Aldridge to take less than Roy?

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Aug 10 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 10 2009, 02:28 PM) *
Issue is the same one we had with Gordon though...how do you now convince Aldridge to take less than Roy?

It's similar but not the same. Gordon > Deng or Kirk. Aldridge < Roy. And Aldridge will realize that but will still want something in the area of what Roy got (probably $1-2M less per year. I'm guessing $1.5M less). I think that's too much to give him.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:25 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home