Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rumor: Wallace to Knicks?, For Quentin Richardson, Malik Rose, Fred Jones
Balta1701-B
post Feb 9 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

The Sun Times has Ben Wallace denying an ESPN.com report that says the Bulls may be on the verge of dealing him to the Knicks for the above package. Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 9 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

I'm all for getting rid of Big Ben but why would we want New York's crap? They should throw in Curry wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bullseye
post Feb 9 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Bench

Member No.: 66

I'd do it just to get rid of wallace...

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Feb 9 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Member No.: 12

I've always been a fan of Q-Rich personally. And maybe coming back to Chicago would motivate him a bit...

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 9 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Superstar

How is Malik Rose making that much money? Honestly.. wow

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 9 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Bullseye @ Feb 9 2008, 02:49 PM) *
I'd do it just to get rid of wallace...

Just looking at the stats...it's not like this deal would be either saving us money or getting us something we really need. Richardson and Rose are under contract for a while and neither one of them is performing anywhere near the dollars they're being paid. If you threw in another 1st rounder then this would interest me a lot more.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 9 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #7

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 9 2008, 06:13 PM) *
Just looking at the stats...it's not like this deal would be either saving us money or getting us something we really need. Richardson and Rose are under contract for a while and neither one of them is performing anywhere near the dollars they're being paid. If you threw in another 1st rounder then this would interest me a lot more.

Actually, the up-shot is that their contracts come off the books after next year instead of in 2010.

Still kind of iffy though.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Feb 9 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 9 2008, 02:22 PM) *
The Sun Times has Ben Wallace denying an ESPN.com report that says the Bulls may be on the verge of dealing him to the Knicks for the above package. Thoughts?

I saw a tidbit on this on ESPN as well. I must say right now I would do pretty much anything to get rid of Ben Wallace. Not only is his contract an albatross, but more importantly it would give the Bulls the opportunity to give Gray/Noah/Tyrus Thomas a ton of minutes for the 2nd half of the season. I don't know if the Bulls make the playoffs, but its the east and they damn well could, but more importantly they would be giving three young players a ton of experience and that experience could turn into the biggest piece of the trade because if those guys get a better feel the Bulls will be in a much and I mean much better place next season.

This deal would also make Ben Gordon a bit more available. I realize he's this teams better scorer, but the Bulls should not be letting this guy walk, nor should they plan on keeping him (you can't win a title with a midget sized back court). I'd probably stick with Hinrich, although if an offer were to come up where you could get a legitimate NBA all star with plenty of time left in his career for Hinrich/Gordon I'd do it.

The reason I think the deal makes Gordon more available is that Richardson/Fred Jones both have some ability to score. None can score at the pace of Ben Gordon and neither are ever going to be the player Gordon is, but Quentin would be a solid offensive weapon coming off the bench.

Hell, I could really see this trade being the pre-cursor to another deal that could really drastically shift the franchise and get it reset in the direction of a championship (Quentin/Jones are quality NBA players, in Qrich's place over paid). Plus I think Richardson/Jones/Nocioni/Duhon/Hinrich/Ben Gordon are all moveable pieces. I like Sefolesha a lot as a defensive guard, I'm happy with Deng and somewhere you'll need to find a major scorer (and with all those pieces listed above I think you can find that score and still have plenty of filler to complete your bench with the young guys plus Joe Smith as the bigs).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Feb 9 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #9

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9 2008, 06:30 PM) *
Actually, the up-shot is that their contracts come off the books after next year instead of in 2010.

Still kind of iffy though.

The key is it means next year you can package them up as expiring contracts which is huge. So in all reality you truly are only stuck with there contracts for this season, because once the off-season happens any team looking to get down in cap room would be interested in those guys and we have all seen the value in having guys that have expiring contracts.

Bottom line those guys would be more immediate pieces to help the Bulls get the impact player they need (whether that guy is out there or not I don't know) but in the short term it opens up the low post for the Bulls young guys (plus Joe Smith) and we'd obviously have a logjam of guards, but I think we could see the Bulls bundle up some of those pieces and make another trade.

That said I like Quentin despite his horrid stats and think he could become a much better player out of New York.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Feb 9 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #10

All-Star

Also, if the Knicks were at all interested in moving either Curry or Randolph, I would be happy to include Nocioni in the deal. I knwo people will laugh at me for suggesting Curry, but Curry was a productive piece next to Tyson Chandler and he was productive for the Knicks last season. We know he isn't good defensively, nor is he a good rebounder, but the Bulls have Tyrus Thomas/Joakim Noah who both are good defensive guys and to an extent baby Chandler's. Offensively Curry would have the block to himself and be able to score and on the defensive end he'd have less pressure since you'd have Joakim/Tyrus taking the better defensive big.

I like Nocioni, but this gives the Bulls a legit low post threat. Hell, if you make that deal...Eddy Curry and the other contracts (which are all off the Bulls books in a year) for Ben Wallace & Nocioni you truly make the team better this year (giving young guys minutes while you also add a low post threat that will open up the offense quite a bit, imo). I really think people under-estimate the impact of a low post presence on this squad.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Feb 9 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 9 2008, 09:44 PM) *
Also, if the Knicks were at all interested in moving either Curry or Randolph, I would be happy to include Nocioni in the deal. I knwo people will laugh at me for suggesting Curry, but Curry was a productive piece next to Tyson Chandler and he was productive for the Knicks last season. We know he isn't good defensively, nor is he a good rebounder, but the Bulls have Tyrus Thomas/Joakim Noah who both are good defensive guys and to an extent baby Chandler's. Offensively Curry would have the block to himself and be able to score and on the defensive end he'd have less pressure since you'd have Joakim/Tyrus taking the better defensive big.

I like Nocioni, but this gives the Bulls a legit low post threat. Hell, if you make that deal...Eddy Curry and the other contracts (which are all off the Bulls books in a year) for Ben Wallace & Nocioni you truly make the team better this year (giving young guys minutes while you also add a low post threat that will open up the offense quite a bit, imo). I really think people under-estimate the impact of a low post presence on this squad.

I'm with ya man. We had our low post threat when Curry was playing for us and haven't had it since. He isn't working out in New York, and we all no he is lazy but he still brings an offensive game which is what we need. We have too many defensive guys, I'll gladly give up some of them for a guy like Eddy Curry. Nocioni isn't a defensive guy but he's annoying so getting rid of him would be awesome!

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 9 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #12

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I really think it needs to be pointed out how incredibly bad Curry is on defense. He's not just below average, he's atrocious. To put it in perspective, each of the last two seasons the Knicks have allowed 5.3 more points per 48 minutes when he was on the floor than when he wasn't. Considering how lackadasical the Knicks are as a whole on D, that's pretty amazing that he can still have that big a negative impact. Combine that with his horrendous turnover rate and really the best you can hope for is a push because of his abilities on offense. He's not really the kind of defender you can hide or compensate for, with the possible exception of a pairing with a Mutumbo/Olajuwon/Wallace in their prime level defender with him, especially since you're already struggling to compensate for Gordon's deficiencies fairly often. Randolph isn't significantly better on defense and is actually a weaker post scorer (takes a lot more shots to get his points, though is more efficent from mid-range). We'd also be stuck with his $14 mil contract through 2011 and his propensity for run-ins with the law.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Feb 9 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #13

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9 2008, 08:46 PM) *
I really think it needs to be pointed out how incredibly bad Curry is on defense. He's not just below average, he's atrocious. To put it in perspective, each of the last two seasons the Knicks have allowed 5.3 more points per 48 minutes when he was on the floor than when he wasn't. Considering how lackadasical the Knicks are as a whole on D, that's pretty amazing that he can still have that big a negative impact. Combine that with his horrendous turnover rate and really the best you can hope for is a push because of his abilities on offense. He's not really the kind of defender you can hide or compensate for, with the possible exception of a pairing with a Mutumbo/Olajuwon/Wallace in their prime level defender with him, especially since you're already struggling to compensate for Gordon's deficiencies fairly often. Randolph isn't significantly better on defense and is actually a weaker post scorer (takes a lot more shots to get his points, though is more efficent from mid-range). We'd also be stuck with his $14 mil contract through 2011 and his propensity for run-ins with the law.

It should be noted that I want Gordon out and Curry would be the low post threat that eases things and makes you less dependent on having a guy like Gordon. Sefolosha should be getting a lot of minutes and the Bulls should be using Gordon, plus one of Deng/Nocioni/Hinrich (if not two) to get a legit star (or just a better dynamic).

The guys I really can't stand on the squad are Ben Wallace, Chris Duhon and Ben Gordon because all are completely one dimensional. Well I guess in Duhon's case he's less one dimensional (he is a solid passer and defender but I'm not a fan of starters that can't hit a shot to save there life...if he could consistently knock down a jumper I'd run Hinrich out of town). Wallace is the biggest piece of offensive spiff I've seen and when you don't have a bunch of other offensive players around them, especially an offensive low post threat it hurts your team because they can stick everyone on the perimeter to defend. Ben Gordon is the opposite, a terrible defender and passer but one hell of a scorer. Still, he kills your defense and makes Hinrich a much worse player than he is (and in all reality, Hinrich while he has been terrible, has been the Bulls most consistent player over the years while Deng has been the best).

Bottom line you can probably even find a way to keep Deng/Hinrich around plus Sefolosha (who would get all kinds of minutes with those guys, plus a star from somewhere), some guys on the bench and your young-uns in the post (Curry obviously gives you the offensive firepower if you want that). OTherwise you still have Nocioni who you could package with people as well.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Feb 9 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9 2008, 08:46 PM) *

I'd probably be hesitant on Randolph if it weren't for the fact he is a scorer and that is something the Bulls could truly use. I'd actually prefer Curry because he is familiar with some of the guys and I still believe the Bulls genuinely like Eddy.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Feb 10 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #15

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...,3507533.column

It looks like the Jazz are the latest team to be linked to Wallace. Truthfully, I think I'd like that trade. It wouldn't help at all on the salary cap front by adding more money and an additional year with Kirilenko, but he'd be very good down low for us and is a guy that fills up the stat sheet. Not too long ago, he was considered one of the bright, young foreign players in the NBA and was an all-star. While he may have lost some of that respect, I still think he's a heck of a player. If there's anyone in the NBA capable of putting up a quadruple-double, I think he'd be the guy to do it. He averages 12 pts, 5.5 rebs, 4.5 assists, 2 blks, and 1 stl per game. I'd gladly take that production on our team, and actually, he'd probably average more points on our team, since we don't have 3 offensive players that compare with Deron Williams, Boozer, and Okur.

Realistically, he could play the PF spot for us and average about 14 pts, 7 rebs, 5 assists, and 3 blks in about 32 minutes/game, which is the same amount of PT both he and Wallace are averaging this year.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:57 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home