Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pre-draft trades thread
Balta1701-B
post Jun 23 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

This doesn't make sense. Next year is not an odd numbered year.
The Milwaukee Bucks agreed to trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, a Bucks source told ESPN.com.

The two teams have agreed to the deal in principle. A trade call to make the deal official will happen later Tuesday.

The move gives the Spurs a dynamic wing scorer to play alongside Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. The Spurs had promised to make their team better this summer and adding Jefferson for role players should give them a huge shot in the arm.

The Bucks' incentive to make the trade is largely financial. Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are all in the last year of their contracts. The deal will clear $15 million off the books for the Bucks in 2010-11 and give Milwaukee more flexibility for the 2009-10 season. The Bucks expect to save $6.35 million next season after releasing Bowen (only $2 million guaranteed) and Oberto (only $1.9 million guaranteed), a source told ESPN.com.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jun 23 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

This deal doesn't make any sense for the Bucks. Do they actually think they have a shot at getting Lebron?

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 23 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 23 2009, 01:10 PM) *
This deal doesn't make any sense for the Bucks. Do they actually think they have a shot at getting Lebron?

There's 2 different reasons why teams might be trying to save money. One is to go after a marquee FA. The other is to save money.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 23 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 23 2009, 01:10 PM) *

The deal was more or less because the Bucks want to clear payroll. It doesn't mean they are going to sign someone to a max deal either. I think they just want to flat out shed money due to the poor economy.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 23 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #5

All-Star

I was listening to Marc Stein today and he said there are only a few teams in the NBA who are willing to make a move like this currently (ie, willing to take on salary). This economy has hit the NBA hard.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 23 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 43

I'll throw it in here since I'm not sure it deserves it's own thread.

Foye and Miller to the Wiz for #5 (not final)

It's interesting to me that the Wolves are giving up their best guard and another decent one for #5, they don't really save any money on it either. I would guess that means they take two of Harden/Evans/Curry/Holliday at 5 and 6. On the Wiz side, Foye and Arenas seems like a weird combination since they do basically the same thing (jack up a ton of jumpers with no conscience). Of course that also assumes that Arenas is healthy for once.

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Jun 23 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 781

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 23 2009, 04:10 PM) *

They want to make competitive offers to Villanueva and Sessions when they become restricted FA's after next season. Otherwise they'd be in the luxury tax.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 23 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #8

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23 2009, 07:32 PM) *

It's interesting to me that the Wolves are giving up their best guard and another decent one for #5, they don't really save any money on it either. I would guess that means they take two of Harden/Evans/Curry/Holliday at 5 and 6. On the Wiz side, Foye and Arenas seems like a weird combination since they do basically the same thing (jack up a ton of jumpers with no conscience). Of course that also assumes that Arenas is healthy for once.

Wow, so that gives the Wolves 4 first round picks. Looks like they're try to put a good package together for the #2 pick (5 and 18?) and still have 2 picks in the Top 10. For Memphis, it would seem like a smart move b/c trading down would allow them to probably still get Thabeet, Tyreke Evans, or James Harden at 5 while picking up an extra pick.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Jun 23 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #9

6th Man

Member No.: 1,947

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23 2009, 04:44 PM) *
The deal was more or less because the Bucks want to clear payroll. It doesn't mean they are going to sign someone to a max deal either. I think they just want to flat out shed money due to the poor economy.

Bingo.

I live in the Milwaukee area and yeah...the Bucks have needed to shed money for a LONG time. All Larry Harris did when he took over the GM reigns years ago was spend money. Herb Kohl has been a wonderful owner to the Bucks has he has paid big bucks for years. However, its a thin market in Milwaukee and there isn't any reason for the Bucks to throw high end dollars for low end results anymore.

I look for the Bucks to do everything they can to deal Redd as well. I could see Ben Wallace being offered to the Bucks for Redd. Of course the Bucks would buy out Wallace for around 80 cents on the dollar...but the Bucks could save around 24 million over the next two years with a move like that.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Jun 23 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #10

6th Man

QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Jun 23 2009, 06:49 PM) *
They want to make competitive offers to Villanueva and Sessions when they become restricted FA's after next season. Otherwise they'd be in the luxury tax.

If they can deal Redd somewhere to shed more dollars...they could offer both reasonable contracts and build around Bogut.

+Quote Post
rockren
post Jun 23 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #11

6th Man

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:19 PM) *
Wow, so that gives the Wolves 4 first round picks. Looks like they're try to put a good package together for the #2 pick (5 and 18?) and still have 2 picks in the Top 10. For Memphis, it would seem like a smart move b/c trading down would allow them to probably still get Thabeet, Tyreke Evans, or James Harden at 5 while picking up an extra pick.

What an awful year to trade up that high in the draft.

Minnesota has no idea what they're doing.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #12

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23 2009, 05:32 PM) *

You know, I could see either of those teams being a match for Hinrich now...The Wizards have 2 odd sized, shoot first guards, they could have a use for a defensive one there and they have Miller's contract, and the T-Wolves now have a really weak backcourt, although I'm not sure they have an expiring deal to tempt with now.

+Quote Post
Sanitarium
post Jun 24 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #13

6th Man

Member No.: 781

eh just another trade http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4284512

only bulls implication i guess would be that it puts another PG (bibby) on the market next to hinrich

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 24 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Superstar

QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Jun 24 2009, 02:46 PM) *

only bulls implication i guess would be that it puts another PG (bibby) on the market next to hinrich

And thread - renamed.

Crawford and Johnson in the backcourt simultaneously? That strikes me as awfully inefficient scoring.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 24 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #15

All-Star

QUOTE (Sanitarium @ Jun 24 2009, 02:46 PM) *

I can't really say that Crawford is a point guard. Crawford is a 2 guard that plays zero d. Basically a poor mans version of Ben Gordon, imo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:30 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home