Closed TopicStart new topic
> Bulls 2007-2008 Catch-All Thread, Notes That Don't Need A New Thread
RME JICO
post Jul 5 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Bench

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

With the Free Agency upon us, it seems like a good time to have a catch-all thread for posts like this:

The Chicago Bulls are also interested in acquiring the rights to Spanish league power forward Luis Scola from the San Antonio Spurs.

Bulls forward Andres Nocioni is not likely to be involved in a trade to the Spurs. The Bulls may offer guard Chris Duhon if he is not included in a larger deal.

This guys seems like a sleeper Pax would go after.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 5 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 5 2007, 06:43 PM) *
With the Free Agency upon us, it seems like a good time to have a catch-all thread for posts like this:

I wouldn't mind picking up Scola if all we had to give up was Duhon. He's a little old (27) for having never played in the Association, but he's definitely talented and could be a huge surprise. Probably would have been playing in the NBA much longer if he wasn't making millions under contract overseas.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 5 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

Pinned. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 6 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 5 2007, 04:43 PM) *

Wow, this would be a fantastic move if all it took was Scalia. I'd assume we would use part of the MLE on Scalia as well.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 6 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #5

Superstar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6 2007, 01:54 AM) *
Wow, this would be a fantastic move if all it took was Scalia. I'd assume we would use part of the MLE on Scalia as well.

Scola. Not that hard. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 6 2007, 05:22 AM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Looking at some of the old draft stuff on Scola, he seems like he would be a good fit. They describe him as a big man with good passing skills, who can run the floor, and with a jumper out to about 15 feet. It sounds like he might not be the strongest guy in the world, but you don't really have to be in the Bulls system.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 7 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #7

All-Star

QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 6 2007, 04:15 AM) *
Looking at some of the old draft stuff on Scola, he seems like he would be a good fit. They describe him as a big man with good passing skills, who can run the floor, and with a jumper out to about 15 feet. It sounds like he might not be the strongest guy in the world, but you don't really have to be in the Bulls system.

He is the best big playing in the Euro Leagues right now and from all the international reports I read they seem to think he'd be able to come over and have some success. I wonder if he'd be much of a defensive player becuase most of the Euro bigs play a softer style of basketball, especially ones that have spent a lot of time in Europe (Darko is a rare exception but he too plays a lot more soft than you would like).

+Quote Post
Bullseye
post Jul 13 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #8

Bench

Member No.: 66

Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year. We still don't have that low post scorer, and we are paying pretty much backup SF/PF close to 8 million.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 14 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #9

Superstar

QUOTE (Bullseye @ Jul 14 2007, 12:16 AM) *
Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year.

Well, first off, the off-season isn't over yet. We still don't know the situations with PJ and Duhon. Those could be a big factor in the make-up of the team. Smith is better than PJ, so there is some improvement in the starting 5. Noah, Curry, and Gray give us some good depth.

Smith, Noah, Curry, Gray > Brown, Allen, Sweetney, Barrett. That's what it's boiling down to right now. Technically, we've gotten much younger but much more athletic.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 14 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Starter

In other news, the Bulls wrapped up their Orlando Summer League experience with a loss to the Nets. TT did not play again and probably won't play in Utah, where the Bulls traveled to tonight after their loss. JamesOn capped off a good showing in Orlando with 19 pts on 8-13 shooting and 6 assists. Here's a little snippet of what Skiles had to say about him:
"JamesOn is picking up what we're doing well," coach Scott Skiles said. "He has good quickness and does good things with the ball."

I'd like to say that I'm glad we're playing in 2 summer leagues this year. It does nothing but help these young guys get more experience playing against teams that while aren't loaded with NBA talent, do have more talent than most college teams these guys played against.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 14 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #11

All-Star

QUOTE (Bullseye @ Jul 13 2007, 10:16 PM) *
Besides for the experience factor, I fail to see how we upgraded this season compared to last year. We still don't have that low post scorer, and we are paying pretty much backup SF/PF close to 8 million.

Well lets see.

Tyrus Thomas > Tyrus Thomas of last year
Sefolosha > Sefolosha of last year
Deng could become an All Star this year
Gordon has gotten better every year and should again
Hinrich should be his steady self (and lets no forget how much better his shooting was last season) and hopefully more fresh this year

Nocioni will hopefully be healthy (people forget how well he was playing early in the season, prior to him getting hurt). He will still get tons of minutes and be a huge weapon (especially considering how bad the Bulls bench was in terms of scoring once Noc went down).

Joakim Noah is a better athlete than any other big we had last year (at least one that is 7 foot...Tyrus is the best athlete on the Bulls though).

Noah/Gray > Malik Allen/Sweetney
Joe Smith > PJ Brown

So pretty much the way I see it we are upgrading everywhere (with certain guys getting better and more talent being brought in).

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 14 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #12

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14 2007, 01:36 PM) *
So pretty much the way I see it we are upgrading everywhere (with certain guys getting better and more talent being brought in).

You know what amazes me most about the job Paxson has done? He's had the opportunity to gamble everything over and over on quick fix after quick fix, and it seems each time, he's gone with the slow, steady program he set in motion when he grabbed Hinrich.

Move after move, at least to my eyes, seems to wind up looking like the right one down the line, and sometimes sooner. Drafting Hinrich with the 7 pick, swapping picks with Phoenix to get Deng, dumping Curry on the Knicks in exchange for cap room, and the picks that would become Noah and Tyrus, holding onto those picks rather than giving them up, going for Tyrus, grabbing BWall as a FA, and on and on and on.

It's just amazing to me how patient Pax has been in building this team, and how he's managed to at every step seem to find a solution that may very well work for the next 5+ years.

And man, a delete button would be so useful when the site freezes, and even doesn't show the post I sent in when I loaded it in a new window.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 14 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Starter

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 15 2007, 12:15 AM) *
You know what amazes me most about the job Paxson has done? He's had the opportunity to gamble everything over and over on quick fix after quick fix, and it seems each time, he's gone with the slow, steady program he set in motion when he grabbed Hinrich.

Move after move, at least to my eyes, seems to wind up looking like the right one down the line, and sometimes sooner. Drafting Hinrich with the 7 pick, swapping picks with Phoenix to get Deng, dumping Curry on the Knicks in exchange for cap room, and the picks that would become Noah and Tyrus, holding onto those picks rather than giving them up, going for Tyrus, grabbing BWall as a FA, and on and on and on.

It's just amazing to me how patient Pax has been in building this team, and how he's managed to at every step seem to find a solution that may very well work for the next 5+ years.

I agree completely. So many GM's try to find "quick fixes" and stop gaps, and most of the time, it just hurts the team in the long run (i.e. Ainge and the Celtics). I must say that I've been in favor of this trade or that trade over the last year or so, but now (as I posted a few days ago in another thread) I just want to wait it out and see what this team can do. I may be overly optimistic, but if we need to, we have the assets to make a trade at the trade deadline, so why not keep what we have and see how it plays out? We're so young and yet so good. Pax really has done a splendid job.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jul 16 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

the bulls are now looking to resign Lu and BG to long term extensions
After coming to terms with veteran free agent forward Joe Smith on a two-year contract, Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxson reiterated his commitment to signing Luol Deng and Ben Gordon to long-term extensions. Both players could command upward of five years and $50 million each in a new deal.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jul 16 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #15

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

Bulls to formally introduce Fs Nocioni, Smith on Wednesday

im not sure what time, im assuming on CSN

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:46 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home