> Hinrich makes First USA cut, Team Down to 15
sport1016
post Jul 25 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

Just heard on the radio, Hinrich makes the cut to 15

In order to make it to the team of 12, he will have to either outplay chris paul, hope that coach K thinks Arenas duplicates Dwade, or hope the team keeps 3 pgs AND Joe Johnson, considered a lock for the 12 man roster bc of his shooting and versatility.

Only other surprise to make the team of 15 is Amare, who had concerns coming back from his injury, but with marion injured Amare made it.

ridnour and Morrison were cut as well as the injuries to marion and redick, surgeries of Pierce and Kobe, Odom's personal tragedy, and other commitments for Billups and Redd.

Hinrich-pg
paul-pg
arenas-pg
Dwade-sg
Joe Johnson-sg/sf/pg
Bowen-sg/sf
lebron-sf/sg/pg/pf/c
Carmelo-sf
howard-pf/c
brand-pf
Brad MIller-c
Chris Bosh-pf/c
battier-sf
Amare-pf/c
Jamison-sf/pf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
puckthefistons
post Jul 25 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #2

NBDL

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

I can see Kirk making it with an injury (minor or major) to 1 or 2 of the 15. Right now he is prolly around #16 or #17 on that list.

I've thought it before, but I can not see that team losing a game in the next 3 years. They are young, hungry, and strong.

My Starters:

Paul
Wade
LeBron
Brand
Howard

Good luck world.

+Quote Post
72-10
post Jul 25 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 160

I agree: they will be tough to beat and i see them getting the job done. But I think Hinrich makes it. I think Coach K is pretty high on him and his style of play. He'd be a great back up PG.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 25 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Starter

here's the article from the trib:
Hinrich still on national team

The Associated Press

July 25, 2006, 1:29 PM CDT

Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich beat out Luke Ridnour for the ostensible third-string spot behind Chris Paul and Gilbert Arenas on the U.S. national team's roster.

The team will play five warmup games in Las Vegas, China and Korea before opening the world championships in Japan on Aug. 19.

Hinrich was slowed by a hamstring injury during the team's weeklong training camp in Las Vegas, but apparently did enough to impress coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Atlanta Hawks star Joe Johnson and Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire were also added to the 15-man roster, which will be reduced to 12 before the world championships. Shawn Marion, Adam Morrison and Ridnour were left off.

Marion, the Phoenix Suns' three-time NBA All-Star, apparently was left off the roster because of a minor knee injury. He was just one of five candidates remaining from the 2004 U.S. Olympic team, which won disappointing bronze medals.

Stoudemire earned a spot on the traveling team with a remarkable comeback from surgery on both knees during last season with the Suns, when he played in three NBA games. The 6-foot-10 forward looked strong and mobile during training camp despite struggling during summer-league play a few weeks ago.

The rest of the 15-man roster includes LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Arenas and Paul.

In all, 25 players have committed to be members of the U.S. national team for the next three years, through the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 25 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

First off, since when is Gilbert Arenas a PG?

Second, I foresee the US side having a similar showing as they did in the World Cup.

+Quote Post
WHarris1
post Jul 25 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #6

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 25 2006, 02:27 PM) *
Second, I foresee the US side having a similar showing as they did in the World Cup.

Not a chance in hell.

How can any international squad matchup with Paul/Wade/Bron/Brand/Howard? Let alone destory them.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 25 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Starter

Gilbert is a PG, though at 6'4 he can play SG from an offensive standpoint, however he doesnt really guard either position well.

The world cup? That bad? Not even making it out of our group? What makes you think that?

The problem that I see with the Roster is that even though Coach K says he is making a "team" he may make a huge mistake with the pg spot. Arenas is awesome, and should be an all-star every year, but I fear, based on an ESPN column that says he's the favorite, that he is going to be the starting pg for this team. With dwade and lebron and bosh and brand the other likely starters, you don't want a shoot first pg that isnt a great defender. Arenas is better than hinrich, but I think the best way to make this team go is to have unselfish hinrich start as he can run the offense and play good D, and then bring CP3 off the bench as a lightning rod for the offense. I know i am probably biased. Arenas is a great scorer, but his outside shooting can be compensated by Joe Johnson, who can be the emergency pg. I know arenas seems to have a better attitude than starbury or iverson, but i fear coach K can't help but put arenas out there, as he is the best pg ON the team, I just don't think he's the best pg FOR the team.

+Quote Post
bulls91
post Jul 25 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (puckthefistons @ Jul 25 2006, 01:58 PM) *
I can see Kirk making it with an injury (minor or major) to 1 or 2 of the 15. Right now he is prolly around #16 or #17 on that list.

I've thought it before, but I can not see that team losing a game in the next 3 years. They are young, hungry, and strong.

My Starters:

Paul
Wade
LeBron
Brand
Howard

Good luck world.

all i can say is wow i am having a hard time imaging the USA team losing with those players on the court it will be very hard to beat. stick.gif

Will nocioni and ginobli both be playing for the argentian team again? huh.gif

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 25 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #9

Starter

Will nocioni and ginobli both be playing for the argentian team again?

Yes. And they will be very good.

ALso, france is gonna be damn good with parker, gelabale (just signed with raptors i think) pietrus, and diaw

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 25 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 25 2006, 02:27 PM) *

laugh.gif

I foresee you being very very wrong.

+Quote Post
RememberThe90's
post Jul 25 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 83

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 25 2006, 02:36 PM) *
How can any international squad matchup with Paul/Wade/Bron/Brand/Howard? Let alone destory them.

at team that

A. Plays un-selfish basketball
B. A team that has been playing together for a very long time.

A basketball game goes beyond the matchups on paper.

otherwise the Knicks would have been in the playoffs this year.

Kirk is just the team player USA B-Ball needs.

I hope they don't pass on him.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 25 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #12

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (RememberThe90 @ Jul 25 2006, 04:28 PM) *
at team that

A. Plays un-selfish basketball
B. A team that has been playing together for a very long time.

A basketball game goes beyond the matchups on paper.

otherwise the Knicks would have been in the playoffs this year.

Kirk is just the team player USA B-Ball needs.

I hope they don't pass on him.

Thats why the USA will not succeed.

+Quote Post
RememberThe90's
post Jul 25 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #13

Bench

Member No.: 83

In order for the US to succeed the following players should
not be on the team IMO:

Jamison
Carmelo
Joe Johnson
Gilbert Arenas

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 25 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #14

Starter

In order for the US to succeed the following players should
not be on the team IMO:

Jamison
Carmelo
Joe Johnson
Gilbert Arenas

I completely disagree about Joe Johnson. He is the perfect international bball player. He is comfortable being THE MAN (in ATL this year) or as a complementary scorer (phx). He can also play (and most importantly DEFEND) the 1,2 or 3. He is also the long range bomber that will keep zone D's honest, but will stay in the flow of offense and not just jack up garbage.

Other than him, i agree with the others.

+Quote Post
WHarris1
post Jul 25 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #15

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 4

Yeah it's not like they put this team together with selfishness in mind or anything....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:48 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home