IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hinrich's Contract...Will it be extended?
Cute Little Bull...
post Jul 15 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines

Hinrich waits in line for new deal

By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter

July 13, 2006

In an ideal world, Kirk Hinrich would have his contract extension out of the way by the time he begins practicing Wednesday with USA Basketball's Senior National Team.

"A lot of these guys who are going to be on the team have long contracts," the Bulls point guard said. "I don't have much left on mine. I could sign this summer but I don't know."

Stars from Hinrich's 2003 draft class—Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony—already have locked up their deals and Hinrich is trying to be patient.

"I definitely want to be here," Hinrich said. "I'd like to get a deal done this summer. Whether that will happen or not, I don't know. I want to be here forever but I don't know what's going to happen."

There is no question Hinrich is in line for a five-year extension. Bulls general manager John Paxson has said signing Hinrich to a long-term deal is atop his priorities, but he first must finish a flurry of deals.

"I'm going to do whatever I can to get a deal done with Kirk Hinrich because he is so important to our organization," Paxson said.

Paxson already has added veteran Ben Wallace in free agency this summer. Wallace will be introduced as a Bull on Thursday evening after he signs a four-year contract worth $60 million. Wallace was in town Wednesday to undergo a physical exam.

Paxson's other moves include trading Tyson Chandler to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith. On draft night, he acquired rookies Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefolosha and third-year forward Viktor Khryapa via trades.

Another trade or signing could come soon. The announcement of the salary cap for next season, at $53.135 million, is bound to produce another round of deals around the league. Paxson still is considering his next move.

In the meantime, Hinrich is waiting. He can play with the USA National Team without worrying about suffering an injury and possibly facing a financial setback because he will have insurance. Paxson did not give a timetable for contract negotiations, but last spring he said he expected to extend Hinrich's contract in August.

The wait should be worth it for Hinrich, the cornerstone of Paxson's tenure as a boss.

Hinrich won't be in line to make the maximum—the Nuggets' Anthony signed up for a five-year deal at about $79 million while Wade and James opted for shorter terms—but he nevertheless should be about $50 million richer.

If Hinrich turns down an offer, he would become a restricted free agent after the 2006-07 season, but the Bulls still would be front-runners to re-sign him.

"They say they want to re-sign me for the long term," Hinrich said. "Paxson and [coach Scott] Skiles always have seemed like men of their word to me. I'm excited for that to come, to lock it up and get some security."

Getting the contract extension is only a piece of what promises to be a memorable summer for Hinrich.

Typically, Hinrich spends the off-season working out on his own. This summer he will be surrounded by the NBA's elite while working out with Team USA. Wade, James, Anthony, Kobe Bryant and Elton Brand are some of the game's biggest stars who are expected to represent the United States at the World Championships in Japan next month.

Hinrich, too, is expected to make the team from tryouts in Las Vegas. He turned down an invitation to join the team in February but accepted immediately when USA managing director Jerry Colangelo tried again by reaching out to Paxson.

"When I initially turned it down, I don't know if I really knew what I was doing," Hinrich said. "It was in the middle of a long season. I was focused on what we were doing. After the season was over, I was thinking that I someday might regret it. To get another chance to reconsider, I feel lucky."

USA coach Mike Krzyzewski called Hinrich a terrific addition.

"He is an excellent passer and the kind of guard who excels in an up-tempo offense," Krzyzewski said in a statement. "It is obvious he is getting better each season."The rest of his summer will be eventful, but Hinrich knows there is also a lot to look forward to with the Bulls next season, especially with Wallace's arrival.

Hinrich said he was in disbelief when he heard the 6-foot-9-inch forward and four-time defensive player of the year agreed to terms with the Bulls.

"I had to hear it three times," Hinrich said. "We welcome him with open arms. You couldn't have picked a better guy to be on our team as far as a center goes."

I hope Pax stays true to his word and extends his contract. And I love hearing that Hinrich wants to stay in Chicago for his entire career. I think he is getting nervous, but Pax has said he wants to keep the core together (Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, and Noch), but as we know, he is not done negotiating. Oh well, only time will tell. They should keep him locked in though because he seems so down to earth and has an amazing work ethic. He doesnt care about being an "NBA Diva" and just wants to come out and play...I think that is rare sort of player in today's game. Ultimatley, I think Pax and Skiles love Hinrich, so he wont have a problem. What does everyone think? Give him the extension or see how he does this year and then base it off that. I know there are some Hinrich lovers and haters on these boards. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 15 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

He'll definitely be extended, the only questions are when and how much. The article says about $10 mil a year, which I would guess is the right neighborhood.

+Quote Post
hinrich fan
post Jul 15 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #3

12th Man

Member No.: 162

Oh yeah...my boy K-Rich is going to get extended. Pax went about rebuilding this team through the draft...and when Kirk got picked 7th by the Bulls...everyone was shaking their heads and laughing out loud. Well... K-Rich will have the last laugh!

As soon as Kirk got out on the court and showed his game he proved he BELONGS and with the Bulls...he's a cornerstone of their future.

Around the league the mention the 2003 draft...and it's Bron-Bron, Melo, D-Wade.......but we saved the best for last KIRK HINRICH!!!!

Everybody back here in Sioux City IA....yeah K-Rich we be smiling from here to Chi-Town....so you be stylin!!!

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post Jul 15 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #4

6th Man

Member No.: 65

Hinrich will be here for a long time. Pax wants him here and he wants to be here. He has been a bull through the lean times, stayed loyal, worked hard...he will soon reap the rewards and I'm sure it means a lot to him to have helped bring championship level basketball back to chicago.

Once Pax is done fleecing the gm's around the nba, he will sign hinrich. He needs to get his roster set and finalize that last trade he's working on....then Hinirch is priority 1.

+Quote Post
bulls91
post Jul 15 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 15 2006, 10:14 AM)
He'll definitely be extended, the only questions are when and how much. The article says about $10 mil a year, which I would guess is the right neighborhood.

he want to stay a good team so i think that he will ask for some where around 7mil so we can sign the rest of our core and be sucessful for years to come. he will not just think for him self(i do not think)

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 15 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 23

I think Hinrich will be extended, but I also think he's going to have to hit the RFA market to see what his value actually is before the Bulls can get him to sign.

When's the last time a 25 year old point guard good enough to make the national team hit the FA market? There's just no telling right now whether he's a $7 million player or a $11 million player, because I don't have a clue how much other teams would want him.

+Quote Post
Goldmember
post Jul 15 2006, 04:27 PM
Post #7

12th Man

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (bulls91 @ Jul 15 2006, 10:42 AM)
he want to stay a good team so i think that he will ask for some where around 7mil so we can sign the rest of our core and be sucessful for years to come. he will not just think for him self(i do not think)

i hope... bullssmilie1.jpg

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 15 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 15 2006, 03:59 PM)
I think Hinrich will be extended, but I also think he's going to have to hit the RFA market to see what his value actually is before the Bulls can get him to sign.

When's the last time a 25 year old point guard good enough to make the national team hit the FA market? There's just no telling right now whether he's a $7 million player or a $11 million player, because I don't have a clue how much other teams would want him.

I think other teams would absolutely love to have Kirk on their team. How many other teams in the NBA have as good of true PGs as Kirk? Not too many, and if they do, they aren't as young as Kirk. I think Hinrich is one of the Top 3 young PGs in the league along with Tony Parker and Chris Paul. Plus, he's stellar defensively and gives 100% every time he plays. He also a great work ethic. What's not to like?

He's definitely a $10 mil/year player.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 16 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #9

All-Star

Member No.: 3

He's not as flashy as Paul and not near as over-rated as Parker (who really is a lousy "point" guard). Parker is decent at scoring though but not that impressive when it comes to running the offense.

But ya, Hinrich is going to be signing an extension with us unless something drastic happens. I think it could happen this year unless somehow not signing him till next year helps the Bulls in some way to maneuver and make some sort of move that Pax thinks puts the team over the top.

Otherwise I figure he's going to sign in August, especially if Pax has another move up his sleeve to make first and its sounding like he just might.

+Quote Post
hammerhead johns...
post Jul 16 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Bench

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16 2006, 11:14 AM)
He's not as flashy as Paul and not near as over-rated as Parker (who really is a lousy "point" guard). Parker is decent at scoring though but not that impressive when it comes to running the offense.

I agree that Parker is not necessarily competent when running the point, but I also wanted to point out that he shot 55% from the field last year, which is just insane.

He is constantly forcing the issue by taking it right to the hole, but for whatever reason, he doesn't make many appearances at the free throw line, and when he does, he only makes them at a 70% rate.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 16 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Superstar

Member No.: 23

We already did use up our FA cap space on wallace, but it's probably also worth noting that whenever we do reup with Kirk, it's going to put us into luxury tax territory, so it will reduce our flexibility overall.

+Quote Post
Jo Jo English
post Jul 16 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #12

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 211

Everything I have heard (mostly Chicago sportstalk radio) has mentioned Hinrich likely being resigned in August. So... patience.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 17 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #13

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Paxson has already told Kirk he is getting a nice extension, the hold up is that they have to finish up this stuff from this off season before they start worrying about the 3rd year player contract extensions. There just isn't time for this right now with everything else going on.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jul 17 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #14

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

Kirk will not put us in the luxury tax.

THis extension does nothing to this year's cap room, if that is what you were thinking, bc it will start with the 07-08 season.

PJ's 8 mil come off the books, so that will help give us some money to spend on these guys

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:33 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home