IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The next coach of the Chicago Bulls (Who it should/could be)
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Mar 23 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

The following was written by Marc Stein in his Weekend dime report:

Even before we got to Omaha, Neb., for this week's 36-hour escape from reality, as explained in detail in Box 10, college chatter already was dribbling into Stein Line HQ.

I've heard this one now from about five well-connected sources around the league: University of Memphis coach John Calipari has serious interest in the Bulls job.

Calipari, for the record, strongly denied such interest when contacted by ESPN.com this week.

Where the Bulls stand on Calipari, meanwhile, could not be immediately determined. Yet this much seems clear: Chicago is headed for an offseason coaching change, as addressed here last week.

I suppose a playoff run under Jim Boylan still could change things, but that's difficult to picture, given the unrest in the locker room that lingers long after Scott Skiles' Christmas Eve departure and with Chicago still one of just four teams this season that have failed to post at least one three-game winning streak. The others are Minnesota, Memphis and Miami.

I really never thought about him as a possible coaching candidate but with his recent success as Memphis' head coach, I like his style; it's a much faster pace than we are used to and that is what we need. What is your take on Calipari?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Mar 23 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

If he were to be the coach, he'd either need to find a new offensive system or we'd have to drastically overhaul the roster. It's kind of hard to run the dribble drive motion offense without guys that can penetrate.

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Mar 23 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Member No.: 12

Tyrus Thomas would get unlimited playing time under Calipari.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Mar 24 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #4

Bench

Member No.: 163

The Bulls are in a unique possition because they are still young. So to say they will 're-build' is kind of out of the question. But Calpari would be excellent for young guys like Sefelosha, Thomas and Noah. IMO thats the new core of the team and they need to build around those guys. This team IS NOT going to contend in the next 2 years, so we might as well develop the young guys. By the looks of things we will get another top 10 pick- hopefully a 6th-8th pick, that depends on the lottery of course. Can a Blazers situation happen? Can we get a top 2 pick? Its possible but very unlikely.

What to do with the other guys?
Pax is in a critical offseason...

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Mar 24 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Superstar

Member No.: 23

I dunno on the Calipari front...just like in the NFL I have to ask, when's the last time a coach made a name for himself in the college game then took a job with a pro team and was actually successful?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Mar 24 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Mar 24 2008, 12:33 PM) *
I dunno on the Calipari front...just like in the NFL I have to ask, when's the last time a coach made a name for himself in the college game then took a job with a pro team and was actually successful?

Probably Larry Brown, at least off the top of my head.

Actually, I had forgotten that he was the head coach of the Nets for about 2 and a half years. They made the playoffs his second year, but he got fired after they started the post-lockout season 3-17.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Mar 24 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #7

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

Regardless, the success rate of college coaches making it in the NBA is quite low...

I want Jeff Van Gundy and only Jeff Van Gundy.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Mar 24 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Superstar

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Mar 24 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Regardless, the success rate of college coaches making it in the NBA is quite low...

I wouldn't be mad if the Bulls hired someone like Van Gundy or Carlisle, although with the latter I'd have to learn how to spell his name correctly, but I've thought for a while that this young team might be a good place to try out some talented fresh coaching blood. Certainly there must be someone sitting as a top assistant coach on a staff somewhere who's at that spot where it's about time for him to get a shot at a head coaching job. I'd just like to see someone try a totally fresh start with this team.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Mar 24 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Mar 24 2008, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Mar 24 2008, 01:47 PM) *
I wouldn't be mad if the Bulls hired someone like Van Gundy or Carlisle, although with the latter I'd have to learn how to spell his name correctly, but I've thought for a while that this young team might be a good place to try out some talented fresh coaching blood. Certainly there must be someone sitting as a top assistant coach on a staff somewhere who's at that spot where it's about time for him to get a shot at a head coaching job. I'd just like to see someone try a totally fresh start with this team.

In order of who I'd like to see

1. Jeff Van Gundy
2. Calapari
3. Carlisle
4. Terry Porter (I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but I'd like to get a prime time coach to show we mean business)
5. Larry Brown

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Mar 24 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #10

Superstar

The one guy I really don't want to see at all is Larry Brown. Because to my eyes, a guy who believes that you win with vets (a-la the olympics) is not a good match for the youngest roster in the league.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Mar 25 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #11

6th Man

Member No.: 61

Interesting. Not sure how good a fit he'd be...but like some have mentioned with such a young roster...it just might be a good fit. I also question the success of the college coaches going to the pros. Just doesn't happen very often. I know this sounds like a long shot...but one guy I wouldn't be surprised that Pax goes after is Mike Krzyzewski. I know he's in a good place and all...but I've read more than one place the frustration guys like him are having on the recruiting front, the one and dones and how turned off to it they're becoming.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Mar 28 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #12

Superstar

Not sure if any of the guys listed here would be considered ready yet...but here's an interesting SI piece about some former NBA players going through a coaching training camp.

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Mar 28 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Bench

Member No.: 392

Karl Malone..... No one will F around with Malone as the coach!

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Mar 28 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #14

Superstar

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Mar 28 2008, 12:41 PM) *
Karl Malone..... No one will F around with Malone as the coach!

No, John Stockton as the head coach and Malone as the Big man coach! Then we'd have an awesome pick and roll! Imagine that!

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Apr 2 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #15

Superstar

Boston Globe floats Boston Assistant coach and defensive guy Tom Thibodeau as potential coach of the Bulls next season.

I don't know how he would be at being a head coach, but he's the kind of guy I think we should be open to considering. Strong background, strong resume, solid recent performance.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:30 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home