Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Free Agency Begins, Started 15 minutes ago
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 3

I don't think anyone is expecting any midnight deals from the Bulls, but free agency has officially begun as of 12 Eastern time (9 Pacific Time). I figure this is a good spot to throw in those early signings which occur (or rumors that don't deserve there own seperate thread).

The first real surprise was Ron Artest deciding not to opt out and remaing with the Kings for one more season. This is probably because he had preliminary discussions or sent out feelers and realized he wasn't going to be able to get near as much money as he's getting this season.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 30 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

You know, I'm really surprised Baron Davis opted-out of his final year. I mean, I don't know much about the situation, but I feel like he must really want out of Golden St. or he really thinks he's gonna make bank as a free agent b/c I don't know why the hell he would turn down the $17.8 million he would have made this next season.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jun 30 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

Baron was the perfect PG for Nellies offense, he belongs there. He either really does want out, which I don't know why he would, or he just wants more money.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 30 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #4

Starter

Oh, and Antwan Jamison is off the market after re-signing with the Wizards. It is a 4 year, $50 million deal. That takes away one of the few impact unrestricted FA's on the market. Though, he was expected to re-sign, so not a shocker...

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #5

All-Star

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jun 30 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Baron was the perfect PG for Nellies offense, he belongs there. He either really does want out, which I don't know why he would, or he just wants more money.

It probably has most to do with him still being able to get a pretty big, relatively long-term contract this season where as a year from now he may not be able to get that type of deal. There is no denying the wear and tear the game has had on Baron Davis and he's not getting any younger and I think most realize he probably doesn't have many more super years left (its too bad he had so many injury problems because he's a very unique and talented player).

I figure Golden State will reink him to a deal that pays him similar annually but locks him in for another few years (which is what Barons wants). Otherwise I wouldn't at all be shocked if the Pistons seriously consider going with a Billups and Davis back-court to try and shake things up (the question is do they have the ability to acquire Davis). Not sure what other teams would go after Baron but the Sixers could always consider it (but if they were going to throw big bucks at a point I think they'd throw it at the Raptors point guard Jose Calderon.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #6

All-Star

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Oh, and Antwan Jamison is off the market after re-signing with the Wizards. It is a 4 year, $50 million deal. That takes away one of the few impact unrestricted FA's on the market. Though, he was expected to re-sign, so not a shocker...

12.5M a year isn't too bad for a guy whose 20/10. Ask yourself this, is Luol Deng or Ben Gordon as good as Jamison? The short answer is no, more importantly, big men who put up 20/10's dont grow on trees as much as guards and forwards who can score. I personally love Deng but the reality is both of these guys wouldn't be able to get the offers they received last year from the Bulls on the open market and I expect Luol to sign last years deal while the Bulls will offer Gordon a little less and i wouldn't be shocked if Gordon got butt-hurt and just took the qualifying offer (Hopefully he won't though).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #7

All-Star

Jamison's signing was also the pre-req for a Gilbert Arensas signing. Sounds like a 6yr 124M deal is in the works to keep Gilbert in Washignton. The Wizards should be substantially better next season having Arenas around and healthy but they'll still have to find a legitimate center to put in around Butler/Jamison/Gilbert if they plan on turning into a title contender (Nick Young looks like a solid young player as well, imo).

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 30 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #8

Starter

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30 2008, 11:48 PM) *
Jamison's signing was also the pre-req for a Gilbert Arensas signing. Sounds like a 6yr 124M deal is in the works to keep Gilbert in Washignton. The Wizards should be substantially better next season having Arenas around and healthy but they'll still have to find a legitimate center to put in around Butler/Jamison/Gilbert if they plan on turning into a title contender (Nick Young looks like a solid young player as well, imo).

Damn, that's a lot of money. I didn't even think a player's salary could go that high after the new CBA came out... The Wizards should be a very good team next year if they all stay healthy and Butler/Jamison continue playing at an All-Star level. If JeVale McGee can shock some people and provide a solid presence at Center this season, they'll be a pretty formidable team.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jun 30 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #9

All-Star

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:07 PM) *
Damn, that's a lot of money. I didn't even think a player's salary could go that high after the new CBA came out... The Wizards should be a very good team next year if they all stay healthy and Butler/Jamison continue playing at an All-Star level. If JeVale McGee can shock some people and provide a solid presence at Center this season, they'll be a pretty formidable team.

6yrs 124M is the full max contract. There are varying reports as to whether the Wizards have offered him the max deal (which is what Arenas is asking for) but they have at least offered him 6yrs and 100M (which is a substantial amount of money).

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 1 2008, 07:25 AM
Post #10

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

Way way way overpaying a guy that is coming off a serious knee injury last season and for someone who is not a Superstar.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 1 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #11

All-Star

Golden State is apparently offering up a 5yr 100M deal for Arenas and it appears that Baron Davis wants nothing to do with Golden State. Wouldn't be shocked if the Clippers find a way to resign Brand and sign Baron to a deal. As fun as Davis was to watch in Golden State, Arenas would be even funner.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 1 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #12

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:23 PM) *
You know, I'm really surprised Baron Davis opted-out of his final year. I mean, I don't know much about the situation, but I feel like he must really want out of Golden St. or he really thinks he's gonna make bank as a free agent b/c I don't know why the hell he would turn down the $17.8 million he would have made this next season.

Well, the other side of the token is he's a guy with a decently long injury history who's finally put together 2 solid, injury free seasons. He'll make less than he would have this year if he hadn't opted out, but if he can work a 5 year deal out of someone, then he's set even if he gets hurt.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 1 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #13

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30 2008, 09:47 PM) *
12.5M a year isn't too bad for a guy whose 20/10. Ask yourself this, is Luol Deng or Ben Gordon as good as Jamison? The short answer is no, more importantly, big men who put up 20/10's dont grow on trees as much as guards and forwards who can score. I personally love Deng but the reality is both of these guys wouldn't be able to get the offers they received last year from the Bulls on the open market and I expect Luol to sign last years deal while the Bulls will offer Gordon a little less and i wouldn't be shocked if Gordon got butt-hurt and just took the qualifying offer (Hopefully he won't though).

The one problem with this line of thinking for Jamison...he just turned 32. Do the math, a 5 year deal for him means you're paying him through the end of his 36 year old season. You're putting a good chunk of money out as a bet that he won't begin to decline rapidly or get injured a lot as age catches up with him. I think towards the end, his contract will look an awful lot like PJ Brown's contract did to us 2 years ago...a big contract that is more useful for expiring than for the fact that there's a player attached.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 1 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 1 2008, 08:58 AM) *
The one problem with this line of thinking for Jamison...he just turned 32. Do the math, a 5 year deal for him means you're paying him through the end of his 36 year old season. You're putting a good chunk of money out as a bet that he won't begin to decline rapidly or get injured a lot as age catches up with him. I think towards the end, his contract will look an awful lot like PJ Brown's contract did to us 2 years ago...a big contract that is more useful for expiring than for the fact that there's a player attached.

There is no doubt that when he turns 36 you will be talking about a guy not quite as good but there is no reason he can't be similar to what he did this past season for the next 2-3 years and when he turns into a less productive player at that point his contract will be close to expiring and thus still be considered a tradeable asset.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 1 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #15

All-Star

Joining Golden State is Sacremento who apparently is willing to do whatever it takes to go after Arenas. I wonder if he'll use this as leverage to get the full max (6yrs 124) from Washington or if he is serious about going back to Golden State or giving a shot in Sacremento. I think he ends up sticking with what is familiar to him (ie, Wizards).

The Kings (if they miss out on Udroh) and Knicks are expected to go after Chris Duhon.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:01 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home