Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michael Beasley works out for the Bulls
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jun 17 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

It was just one year ago when everyone was raving about a phenomenal freshman out of the Big 12 conference who dominated in his lone collegiate season, recording more double-doubles than anyone could have predicted and establishing himself as a virtual lock to be a top-2 NBA Draft pick. In more than one way, the story of Kevin Durant is very familiar to Michael Beasley, who visited the Bulls for a private workout at the Berto Center on Tuesday.

It was Beasley who put the unlikely Kansas State Wildcats on the map and carried them to their first NCAA tournament birth in over a decade, shining the national spotlight on tiny Manhattan, population 50,737. Given that he was named National Freshman of the Year by The Sporting News and earned unanimous First Team All-American honors before deciding to turn pro, Beasley’s time on campus may have been brief, but he certainly made his mark.

Bulls.com sat down with Beasley following his workout to discuss preparing for the draft, his “rock star” freshman season, and his long-time friendship with the aforementioned Kevin Durant.

Bulls.com: How did you feel your workout went?
Michael Beasley: “I thought it went well. I didn’t make quite as many shots as I hoped I’d make, but oh well. I had fun, and they didn’t tell me how tough some of these drills would be. Overall, I definitely enjoyed it. You’re pretty much in the dark in terms of what to expect, so you just hope to come in here and play well.”

Bulls.com: Do you have any plans to workout for the Miami Heat or any other NBA teams?
Beasley: “I actually leave tonight for Miami so I’ll be there tomorrow morning. I’m not sure exactly when they’ll have me workout, but I’ll be there Wednesday and Thursday. Right now it’s just the Bulls and Heat for me.”

Bulls.com
: You took a long look at some of the championship banners at the beginning of your workout. What’s it like to be here in the position that you’re in?
Beasley: “It’s a special feeling. Everyone knows about the history here—two three-peats and the greatest player ever and another one in the top 50. Everyone knows about this team, and now to be here and see it in person only adds to the excitement.”

Bulls.com: What kind of workout schedule have you been on since declaring for the draft?
Beasley: “I’ve been working out three times a day, every day during the week. I’ve made weekends a little more optional and usually I take Sunday off. But Monday through Friday, I’ve been lifting once and working out on the court twice every day.”

Bulls.com: Is it more of a challenge to workout without any competition on the floor?
Beasley: “I think it’s fun to have somebody to go up against, and you can pace yourself a little more if the other guy is doing a drill or something like that. But I like working out on my own. It’s cool with me and it will work out better in the long run, I think.”

Michael Beasley As a freshman at Kansas State, Beasley led NCAA Division I in rebounding (12.4 rpg).
Bulls.com: As the draft approaches, you’re fielding more questions than ever about your character. What have you learned throughout high school and one year at Kansas State, and how far have you come as an individual?
Beasley: “I’ve learned to just be me. I’ve made a few mistakes in my lifetime and I’m not perfect. I live and learn. But I’m going to continue to be me. I’m not going to change who I am. I know when to be serious and I know when to have fun. I like to see smiles; you can’t take things too seriously all the time. I like to see people have fun and I like to smile and that’s just my personality.”

Bulls.com
: How would you describe your acclimation to college life at Kansas State?
Beasley: “Manhattan was great. When I first got there, I had my doubts. The city wasn’t as big as I was used to and it took some time to adjust. But everyone in the town and on campus treated me like family. I loved it. I can honestly say that I found a new home in Manhattan and it will always be a part of me.”

Bulls.com: You truly became a star in Manhattan. Was that tough to get used to, being a guy who seems to prefer to keep a low profile?
Beasley: “I felt like a rock star at times, but it was cool. It was crazy because I’d just be walking to class or something and a random person would throw my name out. At first, I was like, ‘Who are you?’ But I got used to it and enjoyed it.”

Bulls.com: How did Frank Martin help your progress as a player and what was your relationship with him like?
Beasley: “I consider Frank to be one of my best friends. He’s just that type of coach. He wants to help you in life, not just in basketball. He taught me to bring it every single day and he also encouraged me not to change for anybody. He told me every day to just be myself and work hard every day.”

Bulls.com: What did it mean to you to lead the Wildcats to their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1996?
Beasley: “It means a lot, especially now when I look back on the season. To know the history, to know we hadn’t beaten Kansas at home in 25 years, to know we hadn’t made it to the tournament in 12 years and we hadn’t won there in 24 years, it just made the whole season that much more special for us all. We didn’t go as far as we wanted to in the tournament, but overall we accomplished a lot and we did better than a lot of people expected.”

Bulls.com
: Was there one particular game or moment that sticks out?
Beasley: “Beating KU at home. It was a great win for us and one that I’ll always remember. They came in 20-0 and expected to win, but we had nothing to lose. We played our hearts out and got the victory.”

Bulls.com: You go way back with Kevin Durant. What’s your relationship with him?
Beasley: “Kevin is another one of my best friends. We played on the same AAU team together, the PG Jaguars, and then we kind of parted ways. But I talk to him a lot, every couple days. We’re from the same area so we workout together from time to time. We’ve taken a similar path—both from the D.C. area, went to the Big 12, and played one year of college ball—and he gives me a lot of advice. Stay humble; that’s his main thing. Kevin is the most humble, grounded guy that I know. He tells me to stay humble because everything can all be taken away. So work hard and treat everyone with respect.”

Vinny Del Negro and Michael Beasley New Bulls Head Coach Vinny Del Negro works with Beasley during his visit to the Berto Center.
Bulls.com: Do you think your style of play is similar to his, or is there another NBA player you have tried to resemble?
Beasley: “It can be, but I tend to play with a little more power. I like to knock a guy over when I go to the basket, whereas Kevin can shoot it from about 85-feet. I like to think I can shoot the ball too, but I also like to bang a little bit down in the post. Carmelo [Anthony] is a guy I’ve watched for a few years, but it’s tough playing like him. He’s got one smooth game and he plays a lot more fluid than I do. I’d rather just play like me.”

Bulls.com: What do you feel your position will be at the NBA level? Do you feel you will be more of a small forward or power forward?
Beasley: “I think I’ll be able to play both depending on where a team needs me to play. I’m just ready to get out there and compete, no matter what position and whether it’s starting or coming off the bench. I can’t wait.”

Bulls.com: Does being left-handed give you any kind of advantage?
Beasley: “I think it does. I dribble a lot with my right, and guys sometimes forget I shoot with my left. They stop paying attention and think I’m going to go to my right, so they play me that way and then I can take them going to my left. It’s one of those things that sometimes makes it a little easier to get by my man.”

Bulls.com: What elements of your game do you feel you need to address the most in order to be a success at the pro level?
Beasley: “When you’re my age, you’ve got to work on everything. For me, it’s probably the mental adjustments more than the physical ones. From my shot to my ballhandling to my free throws, I need to get better in all those areas.”

Bulls.com: What’s your impression of John Paxson and Vinny Del Negro now that you’ve had the chance to meet them?
Beasley: “They’re real cool. I didn’t think they’d be as down to earth as they are. We had dinner [Monday night] and we’ve talked quite a bit. We talked some basketball, but it was more of a get to know you kind of thing. They had questions and I had questions. It’s been fun, and I’m taking away a lot more than I expected.”

Bulls.com
: How do you think you would fit in with the current Bulls team?
Beasley: “I think I could be a good low post presence, but I can also bring that inside-outside balance. I think I’d take some pressure off the guards and grab my share of rebounds too. I’d love to come here. Chicago’s a great city with an amazing history and tradition and hopefully they’ll have a great team again soon.”

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Michael Beasley kept drifting away from the podium, and he couldn't help but notice people at the hotel next door peeking through the fence to catch a glimpse of the player the Chicago Bulls could draft No. 1.

"Man, I got people behind the fence, too?" he said.

All eyes were on Beasley when he visited the Bulls' practice facility Tuesday, and Derrick Rose figures to get the same treatment this week. Holding the first pick in the NBA draft later this month, Chicago has a big decision: Beasley, a forward from Kansas State who would provide a sorely lacking scoring presence, or Rose, a point guard who just led Memphis to the NCAA championship game.

Quick, strong and agile, Beasley put together one of the best seasons ever by a freshman, becoming the third in NCAA history to lead the nation in rebounds at 12.4 per game while averaging 26.2 points. He had the second-most rebounds and third-most points by a freshman in NCAA history, helping Kansas State to its first NCAA tournament victory in 20 years.

He was the Big 12 player of the year, a consensus All-American and the runner-up to North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough for several player of the year awards, but there are concerns about his character and height.

He measured 6-foot-8 1/4 at the NBA's predraft camp after being listed at 6-10 in college.

"It's a little disappointing to me to find out I'm actually a midget," Beasley said in jest. "But it's not a big deal to me."

A bit fidgety and uncomfortable at times, Beasley still showed a sense of humor that has endeared him to some and landed him in trouble.

He joked that if the Bulls take him, "I know we've got one Jayhawk [Kirk Hinrich] I'll have to get along with."

And he had this to say when asked about the Bulls' psychological test: "They asked if I was crazy."

Did he answer yes or no?

"I left that one unanswered," he said.

Fair or not, one of the major issues surrounding him is his character.

To that, Beasley said, "If I have character issues, sorry -- I guess."

The issues stem from Beasley's sense of humor.

He's a prankster, has been since he was a young child.

It was not a major problem when his targets were friends and relatives, but teachers and school administrators were not always amused.

He wound up attending seven schools in five years as a teen, and that included a stint at basketball power Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, where he was told not to come back after he and a teammate bet who could sign his name in black marker on the most objects in the school.

"I've never been asked what my character issues [are]," Beasley said. "If you were to ask me, I wouldn't know. I like to smile. I like to see people smile. There are not enough smiles around here."

It's a good bet that the Bulls asked about them, and the Miami Heat, who own the second pick, figure to do the same when he visits them.

Beasley called the doubts "funny" and said his critics "don't know me. Those people have never seen me a day in their life, except for the TV interviews and the Internet interviews."

And he shrugged off his moves from school to school, saying, "Nothing's normal. The average height is 6 feet. I'm seven inches over. That's not normal. Nothing's normal. That's just the path that I went. Everyone has a different path, and mine was just a little longer."

Now, he figures to go to the Bulls or Heat, teams that crumbled last season.

Chicago expected to contend in the Eastern Conference, only to lose 49 games after making three straight playoff appearances. Coach Scott Skiles lost his job in December, interim coach Jim Boylan got fired after the season and Vinny Del Negro recently was hired after the search dragged on for about two months.

Now, a decade after Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen won their sixth championship in eight years, the Bulls hope to pick another franchise player.

"It would mean a lot being the No. 1 pick," he said. "Coming to a franchise with so much history and such a big legacy would mean even more."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

EDIT: WOOPS, I completely missed the thread about this below! My bad....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jun 18 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

it sounds like beasley's visit with the bulls went well, he said alot of good things. i dont buy into the character issues, i think he is just having fun, hes never been in trouble with the law, like he said he likes to smile and likes to see other people smile. my choice is beasley but i wont be upset if it is rose.
ESPN has a beasley video called the rookie
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...mp;lid=tab2pos1

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jun 18 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jun 18 2008, 01:10 PM) *
my choice is beasley but i wont be upset if it is rose.
ESPN has a beasley video called the rookie
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...mp;lid=tab2pos1

When I first heard the Bulls got the #1....my choice was Beasley too. But the more I thought about it....EXTREMELY talented PGs with an upside many are calling unparalled...don't come around very often...and when they do and you have the chance to get one...you best grab it. Talented big men seem to be a dime a dozen at this level. I just honestly don't see how you can pass on Rose.

+Quote Post
DutheDoduhon21
post Jun 24 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 99

K-state's coach talks about beasley
It was approaching midnight, and the Kansas State men’s basketball team’s plane had just landed in Manhattan.

Heading into that evening’s contest at Texas Tech, the Wildcats had won eight of their last nine games, and were in first place in the Big 12. An NCAA tournament birth was on everyone’s minds.

The arrival of perhaps the most talented player in the nation, a freshman by the name of Michael Beasley, had instantly brought back an air of excitement that surrounded Head Coach Frank Martin’s program. But things didn’t go as planned in Lubbock. Beasley’s shot wasn’t falling, and he connected on only 6-of-20 attempts. The 19-year old also picked up his only technical foul of the season. Worst of all, K-State lost the game, giving Pat Knight his first win after succeeding Bob Knight.

By the time the bus from the airport made its way to campus, everyone was ready to head home as the next day’s classes awaited after a few hours sleep. But Beasley didn’t go home—he opted for the gym, where he put up shot after shot after shot, until 2:30 in the morning.

That kind of approach, Martin says, is what separates Beasley from everyone else. Bulls.com talked at length with Beasley’s college coach about the freshman’s arrival in Manhattan, concerns about his character, and why he believes Chicago should draft him with the NBA Draft’s top overall selection.

Bulls.com: Could you share with us the first time you saw Michael Beasley on a basketball court?
Frank Martin: “It was the summer between his 9th and 10th grade, and he was playing in a 16-and-under tournament against the Miami Tropics. He could really rebound the basketball and had great hands, but I remember he was kind of gangly and he didn’t do much scoring.”

Bulls.com: Beasley initially had committed to attend UNC-Charlotte but changed his mind after Dalonte Hill, his AAU coach who was a member of the 49ers’ staff, left for Kansas State. What was the process of bringing him to Manhattan like?
Martin: “Everybody wanted to blame him or fault him for the decision that he made to come to K-State. I applaud him because of his loyalty, and it’s who he is as a person. He’s a very loyal person and he’s not someone who has an entourage of people around him. He’s got two or three people in his life that he really trusts. Relationships are very important to him and trust is very important to him. That’s why he came here. When [Bob Huggins] left, we all knew Dalonte had a special relationship with Michael, and Dalonte was staying. So when I got the job, I don’t want to say I had to convince him to stay, but he didn’t know me like he knew some of the other guys, yet I was asking him to stay and put his future in my hands. He’s a very loyal kid. He doesn’t go against the people who are important in his life, or the people he plays with or plays for.”

Bulls.com: How would you describe his arrival and acclimation to college life?
Martin: “It was tremendous. He was unbelievable how he handled all the publicity, attention, pressures and expectations. People here expected him and Bill Walker to be our saviors, guys that were going to bring a national championship to K-State. He had to embrace that kind of responsibility without having any kind of senior leadership whatsoever to help. For him to have done it the way he did—never questioning my leadership—was remarkable. The people in this community just love him. And it’s not because of what he did as a basketball player. It’s because of the way he acted away from the court. I go to Wal-Mart to buy something and people come up to me all the time. People of all ages tell me what a great kid Michael Beasley is because he helped them take their bags to the car or he took time out of his day to hold a conversation with them. To act in the way he did while dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that came with the notoriety that he received was very impressive.”

Bulls.com: Beasley is quick to admit he’s “still a kid” when fielding questions about his character. What’s your assessment of him?
Martin: “I wish my kids will grow up to have his character and I’ve got three of them. He’s phenomenal and he’s a treat to be around. He makes coaching an easy profession. He cares about winning and nothing else. He wants to be the best, so he works at it, but he doesn’t go around thinking he’s the best. He’s receptive to coaching. You could go back and speak to any one he’s ever been a student of, coached by, or played with, and you won’t find one person who will give you a negative comment about Michael Beasley. I was a schoolteacher for many years, and the stuff that he’s done, it was nothing more than a young teenager looking for attention. He’s never placed harm on anybody and he never will place harm on anybody. It’s not in his personality and it’s not who he is. He doesn’t steal, he’s not into drugs and he’s not a gangbanger. He’s a simple kid who enjoys being a kid. He never missed a practice. He’d roll an ankle, but he’d refuse to come out of a drill. He’s an unbelievable person.”

"He’s got an unbelievable personality," Martin said of Beasley. "Waves of people of all ages just flocked to him while he was at K-State."

Bulls.com: Beasley led K-State to its first NCAA appearance since 1996. What kind of impact would you say he’s had on your program?
Martin: “The part that went unseen about our team is that we had no senior leadership. Our best returning player tore up his knee last summer, so he never even got to practice with us. Our two starting guards were seniors, and not to take anything away from them because they were great for us and helped us, but they averaged 4.5 assists per game combined on a team that had Mike Beasley, who averaged 26.2 points per game and shot 55 percent, and Bill Walker, who averaged 17 points and shot 49 percent. There were a lot of challenges that were presented to him, but he never complained or treated any teammate like they were inferior. On the contrary, he made sure he went out of his way to make teammates, managers and everyone involved know that they were in it together. What he did on the court speaks for itself. The Bulls have a tough decision to make. Everyone wants to talk about what Derrick Rose did against Kansas, but how about what Mike did when we played against Kansas in Kansas in front of 17,000 fans? [Beasley recorded 39 points (13-23 FG, 13-16 FT, 4-7 3-pt. FG) and 11 rebounds in an 88-74 loss.] And he only played seven minutes in that first half after getting called for two fouls two minutes into the game. As a player, he’s just scratching the surface on how good he can be.”

Bulls.com: What impressed you most about Beasley during his one season at K-State?Martin: “His overall approach—he cares so much about winning, and he cares about being the best, and in that order. We played at Baylor and he was incredible; he set our scoring record with 44 points and set a handful of other records too. But in our locker room after that game, he couldn’t have been more upset because we lost. He loves to win; he practices to win and he plays to win. He wants to be the best. He doesn’t act as if he’s got the answers; on the contrary, when you work with him, he wants to learn the answers.”

Bulls.com: What challenges do you feel he’ll face as he prepares for playing at the NBA level?
Martin: “My one and only concern with him is that he goes to an organization that is right for him. He’s a good kid and he’s a simple kid, but he needs to be somewhere with a sound structure and support system in place. If that happens, he can trust, and when he trusts, he’s just phenomenal.”

Bulls.com: Is there a certain element of his game that will allow him to excel as a pro?
Martin: “His ability to rebound. I’ve been around guys like Jason Maxiell and Udonis Haslem. Haslem averaged about six and a half rebounds a game in high school and right at seven as a senior in college. I used to tell him all the time, ‘You don’t rebound the ball. If you want to play in the league, you’ve got to have something that you do extremely well.’ Mike averaged nearly 13 rebounds a game and that’s been pretty consistent no matter where he’s played—whether in high school, AAU, internationally, or college. I think guys that know how to rebound will do it regardless of what level they are playing. And he’s a great shooter. I feel bad that we couldn’t do more things with him on the perimeter because we needed him to play closer to the basket. That’s what helped us the most. He loves playing on the post, though, and he punishes people down there. That’s something else—people don’t understand how strong he is. When he left campus not long ago, he was benching 185 pounds between 25 and 30 times. He loves the weightroom. Our strength coach is a maniac, he’s been with us for awhile, and he loves Mike Beasley. And he doesn’t like too many guys in that respect.”

Bulls.com: If you were the Bulls, why would you draft Beasley at No. 1?
Martin: “This kid has shown to me that everywhere he goes, his teams win and he becomes the focal player on those teams. He led USA Basketball’s 19-and-under team to the gold medal game for the first time in nearly 20 years. Everyone wants to make a big deal out of all the high schools he attended, and he’s got to live with that. But every high school he went to won the championship they competed for. His AAU team always won. Then, he gets to college and is on a team with nine first-year guys with seven true freshman on the roster, and he leads that team to the highest finish it’s ever had in the Big 12 and into the NCAA tournament. He’s a flat out winner.”

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jun 24 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

Damn, this is gonna be a hard decision for the Bulls... I mean, I keep flip-flopping who I want. First it was Rose, then Beasley, then Rose, then Beasley and so forth. Whatever decision Pax comes to, it sure won't be easy. I just wish Beasley was a legit 6-10. If that was the case, then I think we'd take him for sure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:41 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home