Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nocioni for Al Harrington?
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 3 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

To me this is the perfect trade. A couple reasons why I do this deal.

1) Harrington is a better player than Nocioni

2) His contract is shorter (1 year left)

3) The Warriors are looking to move him, and he's fallen out of favor with coach Don Nelson.

The real advantage in this deal is terms of Al's contract compared to Noc. He's a more valuable trade asset and would give us more cap room in 2010.

There really isn't a disadvantage that I can see if we made this deal.

What's your take?

EDIT: Shoot, I screwed up the Thread Title, can someone change the "All" to "Al" please? Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 3 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

I honestly don't see that much of a difference between the two players. Both are kind of tweeners, not really strong enough to play well inside and not really quick enough to regularly stay with above average SF's. They'd play essentially the same role on the Bulls. Both are mostly jump-shooters that shoot in the mid-40's from the field and mid/high 30's as 3-point shooters. Both are good for 13-15 points a game unless they're on a bad team playing them more than they should (ie Harrington in Atlanta). Hell, their stat-lines were nearly identical last year even though Harrington played on a better team at a faster pace.

I guess I'd give the edge to Harrington because he's a better athlete, but it's not a HUGE edge. I guess I'd take it if that's the best we could do since it would shave two years off the salary commitment, but I think I'd rather see us try to move him for an expiring deal and/or future picks and/or more of a developmental forward that doesn't need huge minutes. Gooden and Noah both figure to get about 30 MPG inside and Deng is going to get closer to 35 at SF, and Tyrus figures to get AT LEAST 25 a game with most people campaigning for 30+. That only leaves 18-25 minutes for another player at forward. I'd have no problem with Noc only getting that many minutes (other than the contract size), but Harrington is another guy in the 30 MPG territory and could very easily be a problem if he ended up in that role. A younger, cheap guy (like MLE or less) to replace Noc seems to be the ideal fit for that spot, though obviously if people are moved (specifically Gooden) things change quite a bit.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 3 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #3

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 3 2008, 10:23 AM) *
Stop it.

Unless there is a true rumor out there, we need to stop the consistent BS "i propose we do this" threads. Its devaluing this site.

Not to just call you out CBF... I think I'll make a new forum for BS trade ideas, and we'll leave this one for actual reported rumors.

It should be pointed out that Harrington has often times been rumored to have interest in Chicago and Paxson has apparently looked into acquiring him on multiple ocassions. In addition, it was brought up by KC Johnson a couple weeks back that the Bulls would be considering Al Harrington.

Personally I think the move could make sense, but the Bulls would be losing a lot of toughness. Nocioni is a pretty damn solid player and really underrated in these parts, imo. However, I just don't know how many minutes he'll get on the current version of the Bulls and that could be a problem.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 3 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Hollinger actually mentioned a Hinrich for Harrington swap in his last article. That's even worse in terms of fit, that creates a MASSIVE logjam at forward. Either way I have a hard time seeing us make room for him at the moment.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 4 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #5

Superstar

You don't get Al Harrington because he's good, you get him because he expires.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 4 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #6

All-Star

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 3 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Hollinger actually mentioned a Hinrich for Harrington swap in his last article. That's even worse in terms of fit, that creates a MASSIVE logjam at forward. Either way I have a hard time seeing us make room for him at the moment.

I was about to post that article. It is a rather odd swap. It makes a lot of sense for Golden State who is now in need for a point guard and heck, I could make a case that Hinrich could make the Warriors better than Davis because he provides some unique abilities that most of the Warriors lack (ie, headsy defensive play). Plus I strongly believe whomever gets Hinrich is going to be very very pleased. Hinrich had a bad season but he wasn't the only one. This entire team underachieved last year and Hinrich at least fought his way through some nagging injuries and played solid down the stretch.

Plus I think the system at times really hindered Kirk (being stuck with Gordon and consistently having to guard 2's).

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 4 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #7

All-Star

Another player who seems likely to have a new address is Gordon, but his move is likely to come via the more traditional sign-and-trade route. Nobody seems to be making a serious push for him, and the Bulls are likely to threaten to match offers unless a team agrees to a sign-and-trade anyway. Chicago doesn't appear to have much use for both he and Hinrich, and Gordon is more tradeable (unless the above Harrington deal happens), so it makes sense that he's the one who goes and the Bulls get something back in return.

That is another quote from Hollinger's latest article. Basically indicates that the Bulls could end up going the route of shipping Gordon out and keeping Kirk. I still like that move a lot because it gives the Bulls a legit backup point guard who can also play at the 2 guard for a chunk (with Sef being able to start there against teams with a more traditional bigger 2 guard).

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 4 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #8

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 4 2008, 09:08 AM) *
Plus I think the system at times really hindered Kirk (being stuck with Gordon and consistently having to guard 2's).

One problem with the Warriors as a destination for KH...you stick him next to Ellis, and he's probably still guarding 2's.

+Quote Post
ChitownMan
post Jul 5 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 245

I am probably in the minority here however, I would not make this trade. Nocioni is the type of player that most Chicagoans love because he is a blue colllar type of individual and plays with a lot of heart. Al Harrington may be a good player and who knows if he is any better than Andres truthfully however, Nocioni is a type of player that I personally do like and I am able to get behind and support. Not sure that Harrington would have the same impact in Chicago that Noc has.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 5 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Superstar

QUOTE (ChitownMan @ Jul 5 2008, 08:31 AM) *
I am probably in the minority here however, I would not make this trade. Nocioni is the type of player that most Chicagoans love because he is a blue colllar type of individual and plays with a lot of heart. Al Harrington may be a good player and who knows if he is any better than Andres truthfully however, Nocioni is a type of player that I personally do like and I am able to get behind and support. Not sure that Harrington would have the same impact in Chicago that Noc has.

If you simply replaced the phrase "Al Harrington" with the phrase "Al Harrington's expiring contract", would you feel better?

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 5 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 5 2008, 02:29 PM) *
If you simply replaced the phrase "Al Harrington" with the phrase "Al Harrington's expiring contract", would you feel better?

Exactly, I was just going to say that. The whole reason you get Al Harrnington is because he has 1 year left on his deal which means more money for 2010 where the Lebron James of the world come into free agency!

Putting aside my extreme hatred for Nocioni who I think should have never have gotten that ludicrous contract in the first place, this would be an extremely good business decision if you're the Bulls if you wanna make a big splash in the upcoming free agency market.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 5 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #12

Superstar

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 5 2008, 12:33 PM) *
Exactly, I was just going to say that. The whole reason you get Al Harrnington is because he has 1 year left on his deal which means more money for 2010 where the Lebron James of the world come into free agency!

Putting aside my extreme hatred for Nocioni who I think should have never have gotten that ludicrous contract in the first place, this would be an extremely good business decision if you're the Bulls if you wanna make a big splash in the upcoming free agency market.

Yeah, player-wise, I wouldn't mind keeping Nocioni, he's an excellent guy to have around and he's performed well especially in the playoffs. But if we're desperately trying to avoid that luxury tax line, then moving his contract and Hinrich's contract for things that expire within the next 2 years or so is quite important.

And personally, I'm just sick of seeing Nocioni put in at PF. But that's more a shot at the coaching staff than at Noc.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Jul 8 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #13

Bench

Member No.: 163

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 5 2008, 02:33 PM) *

Im sure Paxson will try his best to move Hinrich AND Hughes this offseason (probably for expirering contracts). Trading Noc im sure really isn't on the top of his priority list. Here is what im thinking is going to happen. Pax will sign Deng to a 5 year $60 million deal to stay. Then he will offer Gordon that 1 year deal which would make him an un-restricted free agent next year. With Gordon, Hughes and Hinrich coming off the payroll. Pax would have pleanty of money left to go after one of the big fish heading into free agency in 2010. Kobe can opt out of his deal after this year, but will officially become an un-restricted free agent in 2010. Lebron becomes an un-restricted free agent in 2010 and D. Wade also becomes an un-restricted free agent in 2010. That impressive list also includes: Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Tayshaun Prince, Yao Meng, Pau Gasol, Peja Stjakovic, Michael Redd, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry Tony Parker, Andrie Kirilenko, TJ Ford, and Chris Bosh.
Yea thats an impressive list that includes the 3 best players in the game. Lets not be stupid with our money now, lets re-sign Deng and ship out bad contracts in Hughes and Hinrich for expirering contracts that can help the team this year.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:58 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home