> Chinese NAT'l Team Refuses to let Yi play for Bucks
Steve9347
post Jul 17 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #1

I'm fresh.

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 131

link

BEIJING -- The Milwaukee Bucks' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players.

"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

I know we all feel good about Joe Smith, but man Pax should make it happen. The Bucks have no trade leverage, and Noah+Duhon+a future pick would surely net us a big Chinaman.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 17 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #2

All-Star

Member No.: 21

This is really going to hurt the draft status of future Chinese players who want to come over to the US and play in the NBA. If teams feel like they could potentially lose their top pick, they will stop drafting those players. This is a stupid move by the Chinese government.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Jul 17 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #3

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 17 2007, 12:12 PM) *
This is really going to hurt the draft status of future Chinese players who want to come over to the US and play in the NBA. If teams feel like they could potentially lose their top pick, they will stop drafting those players. This is a stupid move by the Chinese government.

Actually, I'd argue that the stupid move was the Bucks taking him even though they were warned well in advance that he wouldn't be playing for them.

It is perfectly within Yi's and the Chinese government's power to hold out and refuse to play for certain teams. The Bucks said "to hell with it" and took him anyway, and as was clearly visible by David Stern's disappointed look when he saw the Bucks took him... they shouldn't have.

The Bucks could have saved themselves some problems (all they did was expose their franchise as second-fiddle), and I don't see how the Bulls could possibly not make a phone call offering up Noah, Duhon, and a future pick for Yi... this would further our inside scoring presence with Yi working as the 6th/7th man/2nd best low post scorer on a team still in dire need even with the signing of Joe Smith... in as many positions as he's comfortable in (I could see Yi with time at C, PF, SF, hell even SG with that range (though that would never happen, itd be hilarious to see a 7 footer playing SG!)

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 17 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #4

All-Star

Member No.: 21

Sure its within their rights, but it does hurt the future players, because if teams think that the player might not come to them, their draft status will fall. In the NBA, you cannot afford that kind of risk in the draft, when you only have a 15 man roster, and basically no minor league system. Ask Orlando about taking draft risks... Plus the NBA does not want that kind of a presidence put forth. A system like the MLB where players aren't drafted because of their demands would kill certian franchises in the NBA, and Stern has been really smart about not turning the NBA into "have's" and "have not's". Parody has kept lots of these teams afloat.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 17 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 3

The Bucks knew what was coming and they took there chances when they drafted him. I'm surprised the government took this long before stepping in and basically saying they won't let him go. This gives the Bulls additional leverage if they do in fact like Yi more than Noah.

However, I wonder what the Bulls think of the way Yi's camp has handled the situation (not that this really says anything about Yi's character because he really doesn't have a choice) and whether they would come in and take advantage of this type of situation.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 17 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 23

So what are the specific rules if Yi refuses to play? How long do the Bucks have the rights to him, and does he go back to the draft next year if they're unable to sign him? How does this compare with the players that teams like the Spurs will draft and leave in Europe for a couple seasons to develop?

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 17 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #7

All-Star

Member No.: 43

He'd be a hell of a prospect to add, but the wording in the release would worry me a bit. The Chinese government claims that the issue is playing time and development. While it's HIGHLY possible that's just their excuse for getting him out of there, that situation wouldn't improve much on the Bulls with Wallace entrenched at C, Tyrus developing, and Smith and Noc eating up a lot of the remaining post minutes. I could definitely see Skiles pulling a Larry Brown and sticking him on the end of the bench to rot for a year or two. I know they liked Chicago, but if they're really worried about that and not just using it as an excuse that'll likely be a problem.

However, I'd send Noah and filler off for him in a heartbeat, he's a potential difference maker and with Smith on board immediate production isn't as big an issue (Yi can score more than Noah, but Noah does provide the energy/defense/rebounding off the bench).

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jul 17 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:19 PM) *
(I could see Yi with time at C, PF, SF, hell even SG with that range (though that would never happen, itd be hilarious to see a 7 footer playing SG!)

Toni Kukoc did pretty well there. That's why I'd like to have a guy like Yi who handles the ball pretty well for a guy his size. Toni was a matchup nightmare back in the days when he played out top.

+Quote Post
Bullseye
post Jul 17 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 66

I'd do Noah, filler, and pick for Yi any day of the week.

+Quote Post
danman31
post Jul 17 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #10

12th Man

Member No.: 107

No one is talking about what a b**ch move this is on the part of Yi. He should be banned from the NBA unless he plays for the Bucks. You don't get to pick who you get picked by and just because you have a club team in China that can hold you out you shouldn't be able to pick which team you play for. Not to say it hasn't been done before in sports, but the Bucks should wait him out. He wants to play in the NBA so he shouldn't be complaining which team.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 17 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #11

All-Star

Member No.: 3

I didn't think it was the club team, rather the country can prevent him. Basically he does what the country says (it was a similar situation with Yao). I really don't think what Yi wants matters, but if it did, than I would have a serious problem with him.

+Quote Post
rangercal
post Jul 17 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #12

Bench

Member No.: 7

Let me say, I am a HUGE fan of Yi's game. However, I think Yi is a piece of spiff. wah! wah! wah! I don't want to play for the bucks!

Cry me a freaking river YI! I wish stern would put his foot down, give milwaukee a future sandwich pick and never let Yi step foot on a NBA court. Stern is too busy slobbing international knobs , so that will never happen. Players like Steve Francis and Yi should have no say where they play. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right. If Yi doesn't like it he can make bootleg nike shoes at a manufacturing plant in Beijing as his career choice. Maybe then, he will realize there are worse options than playing professional ball for the Milwaukee Bucks.
I don't want to hear that it's not even his decision, because it IS his decision where he plays. Yi needs to grow some balls and stand up to the Chinese government.

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Jul 17 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #13

6th Man

Member No.: 214

This to me is ridiculous. I dont really care where these guys are from, if a team drafts you, you shouldnt be allowed to pick and choose where you go. To me it makes it worse because of the reason theyre giving.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jul 17 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 17 2007, 01:19 PM) *
I don't want to hear that it's not even his decision, because it IS his decision where he plays. Yi needs to grow some balls and stand up to the Chinese government.

Dude, they will simply cut them off.

+Quote Post
dasox24
post Jul 17 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #15

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

I really don't care for Yi. I just get this feeling he's not gonna be what everyone thinks he will. However, it's just my gut vs. most of yalls, so who knows... What I do know is that I want no part of the Chinese Gov't. and don't want to have to deal with their bullshit. i.e. If he were traded to Chicago and then become unhappy or not play enough and want to be traded again. What's from stopping them from not letting him play for us if they don't like his situation here? Nothing. As much as I didn't want Noah before the draft, he's growing on me. I'd rather us sit tight with Joakim and see how things play out this year.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home